Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best "Stack the Dots" Sights?

Best "Stack the Dots" Sights?

I've been using yellow Trijicon HDs on a couple of carry guns and they're good. Not great, but good. It's the basic "3 dots across" deal. Using both eyes open, I find it takes me a few seconds to see the rear sight while focusing on the front sight. I put a set of Ameriglo CAP Sights on a new gun and noticed something. First, the yellow paint on the CAP sights is WAY brighter and easier to see than the Trijicons in every lighting condition. But the best thing for me is the yellow bar painted at the bottom of the rear sight designed to help line up the front and rear vertically.

I find this setup faster for me and also from a defensive standpoint, vertical alignment is more important than horizontal. If I'm off a little vertically, my shot will be a little high or low but still a hit. If I'm off horizontally, I may miss completely either left or right. So, I'm thinking of replacing my Trijicons with either more of the CAP sights or something comparable. Opinions?Name:  CAP Sights.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  17.5 KB

I've used and liked Ameriglo Pro I-dots in the past.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

I learned on the M9, which has a front sight with a white dot and rear with a white halfmoon at the base of the notch. I've got different preferences now, but have always liked them more than 3 dot.

I think Heinie straight 8s are a good option for dot and post sights. They almost mimic a colored front black rear. The front tritium has a slight white circle and the rear has a really thin silvery color around the tritium. So you see enough to use them as dot and post sights, but the rear is muted enough to get front sight focus. I might not be explaining it well.

Where they really shine is in the lower light (see what I did there?). The rear tritium is yellow, and it makes lining up the sights far easier than 3 dot night sights.

Mine are actually made by Dan Wesson but sometimes marketed like Heinie. Anyway, they're worth a look but maybe not as bright as you want.

-Cory

Tagged as I’m looking at buying new Glock sights
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

After much research, I went with the Ameriglo I-Dots for my M&P. I went with the green outline, green tritium front, and the no outline, green tritium u-notch rear. The part number is SW-601.

Effectively this becomes like a stack the dots Trijicon HD. During the day, just align the front sight in the u-notch. At night, stack the dots.

I have the Wilson fiber optic battlesights on my competition Glock 19, which converted me to blacked-out u-notch rear sights for day use. As a matter of fact, you might take a look at the battlesights if this is a range or open carry gun. In my view they protrude a bit much for concealing.

Haven’t tried the I-Dots yet (they just arrived on the mail yesterday), but I’m excited to get them installed.

Site Supporter
    I have TCAPs on all my Glocks, Heinie straight 8s on everything else.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    the I dot Pros are nice on the Glock 43/42 as the rear sight isn't flush with the end of the slide so it doesn't dig into my side as much. I heve a pair of I dot pros on one of my G26s as well. They're pretty solid.

Have Heinie Straight 8s on my G35. Good sights but I don't love flat black on black. Definitely well made product, though.

I’m a fan of Heinie straight 8 pistol sights. If you don’t mind a black front sight they’re tough to beat.

Toss up between the AmeriGlo I dots and the Vickers designed Wilson Combat. The I-Dots seem to be a shade quicker for fast shooting, but the Wilson's are definitely more accurate for these eyes. YMMV. I'd be happy with either.

I'm a big fan of the Heinie Straight 8's and have had them on a bunch of my guns.

User Tag List