Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Carry

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Having tried at least 6 tuckable holsters, I would never rely on one if any real concealment was required. There is almost always a gun-shaped bulge and a visible belt attachment. Drawing is slow.

Pocket carry works much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It helps to have the holster attach to the backside of the belt using velcro so there are no visible clips. Likewise it helps if the attachment points are offset from the main body of the holster. Also put 1 or two magazines on the opposite side of the buckle. This eliminates the bulge on one side.
    Last edited by UNK; 08-07-2018 at 04:57 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Ankle carry is usually less clothing specific, BUT, some pants "ride up" A LOT when you sit, so you can very quickly find yourself "exposed" when you sit.
    Ankle carry can be very clothing specific, in my experience. As you said, some pants ride up a lot, but this can be mitigated somewhat by buying pants with a longer then normal inseam, and by wearing a second sock to cover the gun/holster. Bagginess will also play a major role. It goes without saying that you ain't ankle carrying in skinny jeans, but the bagginess and cut of the pants will make a big difference with concealability. Another factor that I didn't initially think of that comes into play is how the pants interact with your draw. Tighter pants are harder to draw in and have a better chance of getting hung up on something.

I carry a 642 in a PCS Blackbird holster almost daily in jeans pockets. I'm 6'0" 175lb athletic build. With a dark wash, those super cool faded tiger stripes in the pocket area, and big pockets...this setup works great. It was hard to find jeans with big enough pockets to hide a gun in. I found that Urban Pipeline jeans from Kohls are really good for me. I know the Duluth pants have great reviews but my budget can't handle that. I have carried my PPS in a pocket with a Desantis Super Fly holster but its really too big for that mode of carry.

I was checking out a friends Sig P290RS and it seemed like it would work much better for pocket carry than my PPS.

My FIL carries a Kimber Micro 9 in a Super Fly and it seems to work well for me too. He is a big guy and I am a thin guy so it seems to conceal well across different body types. I wouldn't normally recommend the Kimber but his has ran suprisingly well so far.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Just because you pocket carry doesn't mean that you can't carry a more capable gun in an IWB holster--although in some circumstances you may be limited to pocket carry

The key thing is to use a pocket holster which serves to keep the gun oriented muzzle down and to break up its outline.

Another key is to carry absolutely nothing else in the pocket other than the gun in the pocket holster.

I use a Kahr PM-9 or a S&W J frame for pocket carry. An important part of the equation is having a tailor deepen your dress pants pockets to give the gun more room so that it doesn't risk printing. Though most 5-11 type pants have enough pocket room, dress pants generally don't and will print when you sit down.

I use the Kahr PM-9 at work because it is smaller and flatter than the J-frame. At work you have to pass the same people every day who might notice things that strangers on a street might not. This might have repercussions where corporate policy prohibits the carry of weapons that are otherwise legal to carry.

I prefer the J-frame for non-work situations because even though it doesn't hold as many rounds as the Kahr PM-9, the grip is easier to slip your hand around.

With pocket carry you can have your hand in your pocket on the gun ready to draw if necessary.

At one time I carried a Glock 26 in a pocket holster but it was too big and bulky with too many sharp edges that could get caught if you try to draw it at an awkward angle.

I've tried some different holster, but I mainly use a simple Uncle Mikes pocket holster.

Below is a picture of my Kahr PM-9 and S&W 640 both in Uncle Mikes holsters. It's hard to tell from the picture how much flatter and more compact the Kahr PM-9 is.

Name:  pocket guns.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  12.5 KB

Site Supporter
    Despite having invested in some really nice ankle holsters (Alessi, Galco, Renegade, and others), I have never found ankle carry to be a comfortable or concealable way to carry. I might sometimes use it for a tiny backup gun, but never for a primary gun. A pocket carried G26 is far more comfortable to me than an ankle carried Kel-Tec .380. Even with sufficiently long and baggy pants, getting in and out of cars can expose the gun. Pulling a sock up over the holster just ends up looking like a sock pulled up over something really big and definitely not ankle shaped. The last thing I want to do after lifting weights or a 20 mile bike ride is strapping a weight to my ankle.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I have only employed pocket carry for BUGs, never for primary sidearms.

I no longer in my dotage carry more than a single sidearm, though I used to carry a lightweight S&W J-frame at times as a BUG in any of several specialized pocket holsters from either Robert Mika or Pocket Concealment Systems.

Pocket carry does have the admittedly-significant advantage of allowing the user to have his hand surreptitiously on the butt of the pistol prior to the draw, without appearing to be aggressive, and without telegraphing any intent to respond in an aggressive manner, which is definitely a significant benefit.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I have a corollary question to pocket carry.

Ok, so I emptied my strong side pocket and slip my LCR in there. My keys now go in my weak side pocket along with phone.

What would you guys suggest I do with my Benchmade Mini Grip, formerly clipped to my strong side pocket?

Or do I just pocket a SAK in my other pocket? Thanks, just looking for some ideas of what ya’ll have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post

Ok, so I emptied my strong side pocket and slip my LCR in there. My keys now go in my weak side pocket along with phone.

What would you guys suggest I do with my Benchmade Mini Grip, formerly clipped to my strong side pocket?

Or do I just pocket a SAK in my other pocket? Thanks, just looking for some ideas of what ya’ll have done.
    I can't offer any wisdom regarding a transition because I've pocket carried a gun a lot longer than they've made pocket clips on knives. Since Spyderco came along, I always carried my folders in my right (strong hand) back pocket.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 08-07-2018 at 09:32 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter

I would put the pocket clip on the other side of the knife and clip it to the weak side pocket. My phone is on my belt, in a Maxpedition horizontal belt pouch.

In my case, my weak side pocket has a Spyderco Waved Delica clipped to the top, and contains my keys, change, light (currently a Malkoff MDC Bodyguard), and spare magazine. That pocket does get a bit crowded.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter

Yes, you put an SAK in your other pocket. And your Mini Grip clipped to your back pocket.

If you’re gonna do this.

User Tag List