Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Carry

Waist size? I am a 30", which brings smaller pockets. Made carrying anything larger than an LCP challenging. I used a smart carry for years with a P30. Now it's AIWB, or a J frame for my lounging gun in Pjs. But bigger options for bigger folks.
    Taking a break from social media.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I don't recommend doing it all the time, but I admit to being incredibly lazy now and then and just sticking a Glock 30 in my Carhartt coat pocket on short jaunts. Can't imagine I'd have a problem with a small revolver.

There's really nobody that recommends pocket carry all the time, but we all know people do it anyway. In your (his) case I'd steer him away from it and recommend a tuckable holster, but I'll leave it to you to do your homework since tbh I'm not familiar with what's available. Most holsters are designed to hang your shirt over it.

I'd probably pocket carry more but I already filled my trench coat with ninja stars and pocket sand.

Site Supporter
    Ruger LCP .380 works for me. I have extra large hands which interfere somewhat with my pocket carrying. Shopping for pants permitting ease of carry is essential. Do some people put Glocks without a holster in their pocket?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    I don't recommend doing it all the time, but I admit to being incredibly lazy now and then and just sticking a Glock 30 in my Carhartt coat pocket on short jaunts. Can't imagine I'd have a problem with a small revolver.

There's really nobody that recommends pocket carry all the time, but we all know people do it anyway. In your (his) case I'd steer him away from it and recommend a tuckable holster, but I'll leave it to you to do your homework since tbh I'm not familiar with what's available. Most holsters are designed to hang your shirt over it.

I'd probably pocket carry more but I already filled my trench coat with ninja stars and pocket sand.
    Having tried at least 6 tuckable holsters, I would never rely on one if any real concealment was required. There is almost always a gun-shaped bulge and a visible belt attachment. Drawing is slow.

Pocket carry works much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I think a G42 or even a 43 would be my choice if I had to pocket carry a primary. For a backup pocket gun, I like a J or LCR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Having tried at least 6 tuckable holsters, I would never rely on one if any real concealment was required. There is almost always a gun-shaped bulge and a visible belt attachment. Drawing is slow.

Pocket carry works much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've found the same wrt tuckable holsters myself.

I wear Mountain Khaki pants and can easily pocket a G43 and even easier with a G42.

I'm working on getting smart carry to work, but I think it's highly dependent on pants size/design as well as pistol size. My pants tend to be tight in the crotch and that's not very comfortable with smart carry (at least so far)

cc

I think this will depend on your friends build and his clothing choices. I tend to wear relaxed fit pants and even then, my thunder thighs are a problem. I’ll blame it on 25 yrs of soccer. I can make a G42 work in an Aholster, but the 43 no workie as it prints beyond my likes. Same for smart carry. 42 works but the 43 begins to print. Although I can make a 43 work with untucked shirt as it covers up well.

I'll chime in here: I pocket carry an LCR 38 a lot (board shorts and flip flops) - I use a cheapie grippy pocket holster (I think DeSantis) to get the job done. The LCR is biggish and I've found that drawing it with my big hands takes real work.

I might also toss this into the mix: The Kahr CW380 is surprisingly small, but shootable. It is a .380, carries very flat, and, once loaded, balances fairly well (unlike a PM9, which is a bitch to pocket carry)

Whatever you decide, run through the drills on Claude Werner's site: TacticalProfessor.com. "The Wizard" and the NRA j-frame standards are both posted there.

http://instagram.com/p/BhMgCfxHbgC/

As others have stated, clothing style and weight are going to play a MAJOR factor in this. Pocket depth and pant material will have a big impact on what can be "pocketed" easily and discretely. Ankle carry is usually less clothing specific, BUT, some pants "ride up" A LOT when you sit, so you can very quickly find yourself "exposed" when you sit. Both factors need to be evaluated and experimented with using various firearms.

If the Shield isn't working for your friend in his current clothing for pocket carry, he's going to have to go REALLY small - like the LCP, or go with a j-frame. The former is very very small, thin and light; the latter has a very nicely rounded profile that really seems to minimize printing. Of course, with either option, you're stepping down to marginal ammunition performance, marginal sights, limited capacity, and marginal triggers. As always, there's no free lunch.

Lastly, Smart Carry might be the answer with his current Shield, and definitely unlikely to ever inadvertently reveal the pistol. Of course, you've got a dead slow draw to contend with - again, no free lunch...

I'm an unapologetic fan of pocket-carry, and the LCP as the hardware. It fits in just about anything resembling a pocket and the gun is snag free. I've heard of some problematic examples but my guns (multiple examples - many hundreds of rounds) have been 100% reliable.

Tell your friend to get something small enough that he will carry all the time and then spend some time learning to use it within the envelope for which it was intended. That will likely make him safer than the better gun he probably won't have with him when he needs it.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

User Tag List