Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Carry

Pocket Carry

So a guy I work with just asked me about holsters how best to carry a gun etc etc.
    He asked a bunch of questions when he bought his AR and as I vaguely remember he got a pretty good quality one. Then he purchased a Shield but now he wants something that he can carry with minimal hassle. I don't believe he is a shirt out kinda guy so I am leaning towards pocket or ankle carry recommendation.
    Of course the usual concerns with the J frame which I already discussed with him. I've also offered to loan him a j frame and ankle/ pocket holster and will give home some wadcuters and Rangers to try out.
    My question is are any of the current crop of small 9's suitable for pocket/ ankle carry?

Is there an option I have overlooked?
    This guy is not an avid shooter however he does shoot.
    He is also a thorough meticulous type personality.
    I'll also mention taking a basic class again.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Pocket carry depends heavily on proper pants selection. I am carrying a Glock 26 in an Aholster pocket holster as I type this. I would think a Shield would work about as well as any 9mm for pocket carry.

To get something significantly smaller, a tiny .380 would be a good option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Pocket Carry

I have been pocket carrying a newly bought Ruger LCR 357 (my first small revolver) in a Desantis Nemesis the past week. It fits in my cargo non-work pants as well as my work (khaki) pants. I have it loaded with 148 gr Wadcutters.

It suits me perfectly. I use it walking the dog, going to the gym. Tonight I picked up my wife for dinner. I just slipped it in my pocket and off we went.

https://ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5450.html

https://www.amazon.com/DESANTIS-Neme.../dp/B003K7X75U

When I need a clip on, I use one by @Dark Star Gear.

https://darkstargear.com/product/lcr/

Last edited by RJ; 08-06-2018 at 05:47 PM.

I've pocket toted a Shield in a pocket for years, and in standard Walmart sourced Wrangler cargo shorts pockets at that.
    A simple leather pocket holster, a belt, and I'm good to go.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Re: pants: I usually pocket carry in relaxed fit, pleated dress slacks of a size selected to permit IWB carry as well. I am currently wearing pants from Eddie Bauer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I've been ankle carrying a G43 in a Desantis Apache for the last year or so 5 days a week and I've actually come to really like this carry method. With the right pants, it's extremely concealed, and it's actually faster to draw then you might think with some practice. I spend the majority of my day seated, so in that context, it actually makes a lot of sense. I usually wear baggy casual dress cargo pants, and buy them a tad on the long side. One thing I've been doing that seems to help is wearing a second sock over the holster. It covers the holster and the gun so if your pants ride up, it just looks like sock. It also holds the gun in place and prevents it from shifting around. I've found it's actually pretty comfortable and I really don't notice the gun is there. The same probably could not be said for a heavier gun.

The one thing I'd say is this is not a carry method for the casual occasional carier. It definitely requires more frequent practice to be able to draw consistently, then say IWB, and on more then a few occasions early on while experimenting with different draw methods, I hooked the rear sight on my pants leg opening and dropped the gun during my draw stroke. It just takes practice.

Depending on body type, a smartcarry type holster is a really simple and effective option that works well for very discrete carry.

Thanks for the input guys so far guys. I'll definitely give him the link to this thread. There have been other threads about pocket carry but ankle carry is a different matter. I suspect he wont be happy with the J Frame once he shoots it but you never know. It's nice to have options.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    The Shield is probably a viable Smartcarry gun. For some people, it might be a viable pocket gun.

I carry a G26 or a G42 in JMCK IWB#3 holsters, in a Smartcarry, the G42 can be pocket carried in many of my pants (some kydex holster I don’t know who made - it slid out of a pocket in a pair of dress pants, though), the G26 in some of my pants (aholster). The 642 was my only carry gun for years and got mostly pocket carried (Galco horsehide), but also put some serious wear on a Smartcarry. It gets mostly ankle carried as a BUG these days. DeSantis Renegade.

I have a P32 for if I absolutely can’t carry anything else, or need a BUG to fit someplace an IPhone 5 would go. I could probably get it to work in a speedo.

I know, bad images. Sorry.
    Last edited by Duelist; 08-06-2018 at 08:33 PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    The Glock 43 pocket carries better than the M&P Shield or the S&W J frame, in my experience with all 3 firearms. The J frame is lighter, but carries bigger.

I typically only pocket carry around the house or on super-duper short errands, though, and usually in athletic wear or "nursing" scrubs (have real pockets).

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    The Shield is probably a viable Smartcarry gun. For some people, it might be a viable pocket gun.
    Carried one in a smartcarry for the better part of a year. Works just fine. My only gripe is the grip is a little long so that can sometimes print depending on the pants. I don't think it would work for pocket carry for this reason, and it's a stretch for ankle carry, for sure.

User Tag List