Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Gun(s) Did You Buy - Or Want To - Simply Because of TV and/or Movies?

I'm sure Diehard played a part in my choosing a Beretta. In sort of a defense, it was that or a S&W 2nd Generation, or the very new Glock.

I am also sure that countless cowboy movies and TV shows in my youth contributed to SA and cap and ball revolvers.

I still want a LAPD Model 14 because Adam-12.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    HK MP5 and HK USP because of this game:

I'm probably outing myself as a youngin' a bit here, but most of my "As Seen on TV" purchases were based off of video games rather than movies (movies help, though). I don't think there's much wrong with that; if my experience with teens and early 20-somethings these days says anything, it's that games are likely to end up being the primary way people get the gun bug in the future.

My biggest and most expensive one so far is a 1983 Izhmash AKS-74N kit build I did largely because I spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours using one in the Arsenal mod for STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl during college. The first MGSV trailer helped too.

Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  11.6 KB

I've also bought multiple HK/HK-pattern firearms based largely on my fondness for the old Tom Clancy's games, namely Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six 3. So far, I've got a PTR-91 with the wide handguard and navy selector, a USP Tactical (in 9mm for practicality's sake), and I have a Zenith Z-5RS on backorder. If money permitted, I'd absolutely add a Mark 23 to my lineup based on my love for Metal Gear Solid as well.

Name:  554259-914955_20040311_009.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  58.1 KB

Interestingly enough, while I've got two P30Ls now, John Wick wasn't the main reason I bought them; I just happened to like them a bit more than the USP ergonomically and preferred the longer barrel model since I intended it to be a postal match gun first and foremost. I've since fallen in love with the platform and may even add a standard P30 at some point down the line as a "suit gun."

My 870 Police Magnum was another "game-inspired" purchase. I figured I needed a shotgun in my lineup of some sort, and the 870MCS was my go-to option in the Battlefield games. The Police Magnum with rifle sights came closest and the local cop shop had a surplus of them, so it was an easy decision. One of these days I'll seek out a proper MCS pump and see if I can actually clone the damn thing since Remington apparently just outright ignores you if you call them as a civilian looking to get MCS parts.

Name:  600px-BFBC1-870MCS-1.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  78.6 KB

That said, if you want to see the truly weird side of young gun owners, anime will get brought into the equation as well. I now know of at least two (!) people in a chat server I'm in who have bought or are actively seeking out HK USCs/Tommybuilt UMP45 conversions because we all started playing a mobile game called "Girls' Frontline" and their love for UMP45 inspired them to pick up a real one. Weird, but hey, whatever works.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    I've also bought multiple HK/HK-pattern firearms based largely on my fondness for the old Tom Clancy's games, namely Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six 3.
    ...Rainbow Six 3 is a new Tom Clancy game to me !!

This the one that I grew up playing:

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    ...Rainbow Six 3 is a new Tom Clancy game to me !!
    I'm juuuust old enough to remember Rainbow Six being the new hotness and remember watching my friends and uncle play Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear, but my parents were so eager to keep me away from guns and violent games that I didn't get to partake until Raven Shield dropped. Clearly, that worked out well.

It's definitely still having an effect as a series, too. My stepbrother (16, I think) had a bit of a fanboy moment when he found out I owned a Scorpion Evo since it's a common sight on a popular character in Rainbow Six Siege.
    Last edited by einherjarvalk; 08-06-2018 at 05:21 PM.

I suppose if I ran up on a Mauser Schnellfeuer at the right price....
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    HK MP5 and HK USP because of this game:

I liked Rogue Spear better, but these games were amazing. Along with Operation Flashpoint. Not often do I miss being a kid in the 90s and early 2000s, but stuff like this makes me want to go back.

The opening to the original Ghost Recon sort of predicted the 2008 Russian-Georgian war.

Never bought but always wanted was a 4506 because of Det. Tom Ludlow in Street Kings. Also a 5906 in the Ted Blocker holster John Cooper carried on Southland.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 08-06-2018 at 06:16 PM.

Site Supporter
    Kept a PPK/s around longer than I should have because of Bond (eventually sold it to a buddy).

Picked up some stag grip panels for one of my 1911s because of Longmire.

Had a HK USP 9c that I wanted to like more than I did because of 24 (I shoot the P2K better).
    Polite Professional

Quote Originally Posted by PD Sgt. View Post

Picked up some stag grip panels for one of my 1911s because of Longmire.
    I've so far resisted buying a mil-spec 1911 to wear stag grips, but if I watch the show again, I'll probably cave.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List