Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: InfoWars Removed from Streaming Sites

Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    I have to get out of my car to enter a Mall.
    Not the same. It's a private club that is not owned by a government entity. You have to be a member to join.
    Same as a bar or private university.

Further, California has specic constitutional provisions which may or may not be involved, but that is specific to California law.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 08-08-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    I have to get out of my car to enter a Mall.
    See, if you rode a sleigh driven by angry Weiner Dogs with tiny service dog vests, you could ride right in. Think outside the box people!

Leaving constitutional arguments aside, I don't see how AJ has been hurt at all-- he has an enormous following, and this will probably only get him more people showing up at his website. I am far more concerned about people with no substantial following getting cut off before anyone knows who they are.

Also, Alex Jones plays a character named "Alex Jones" who is a walking stereotype of the "ignorant, paranoid, conspiracy obsessed compensating-for-a-small-penis-with-his-guns nutjob." His lawyer has admitted as much in his custody battle with his wife. He has done a lot to reinforce the narrative of 2A supporters as idiots. He has encouraged people to brandish firearms in public to stop imaginary pedophile rings. Ideology is one thing, actively promoting specific violence and completely insane ideas about slave breeding camps on the Moon is quite another. I see a pretty big difference the slant of CNN, MSNBC, and Fox and the batshit insanity Jones spews.

The issue of YouTube demonetizing everything that isn't pablum worries me far more than this. Gun channels are far from the only victims. My favorite non-gunny on YT, anti-Scientologist/skeptic Chris Shelton, has to fight to keep his "ad-friendly" status with every video. The "left-vs-right" fight in media largely serves to obscure the attempt to make sure we are all good little consumer bots, which transcends the impotent peasant revolts of the masses in the USA every time.

I think that ultimately, a technological solution will be the real fix to censorship on centralized social media platforms. What we really need is a decentralized and encrypted social media protocol to replace Facebook/Youtube/Twitter/etc. Then everyone either runs their own server or pays someone else to run one for them (like email or web servers).

The best design I've seen is https://secushare.org/, but unfortunately they're still in alpha and haven't publicly released any code yet.

I'd like to see a torrent based youtube competitor. Too bad my programming skills date back to the 90s.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Name:  xkcd-1357-free_speech.png
Views: 149
Size:  52.1 KB
    title text: I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.
    https://xkcd.com/1357/ (April 18, 2014)

Here's an edited version. Author and date unknown.
    Name:  DitLuVbVsAEN4fr.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  73.6 KB

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    It exists. It's called BitChute.
    Such services have left me wondering how concerned I should be about this whole thing from a technical perspective. We (that being the technical collective "we") have been warned about the dangers of Walled Gardens for as long as the world wide web has been a thing, and this is really just the latest iteration of PITAs going back about twenty years related to that issue.

At this point, no one has actually been prevented from getting access to anything, the access has just been made marginally less convenient. From a technical perspective, that's a non-issue. I'm much more concerned about Error 451s popping up when people try to get to defcad.com - that's a different category of problematic.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Twitter has suspended Alex Jones... for a week. From BBC News:

Twitter is blocking the right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones from posting to its platform for a week.

The InfoWars broadcaster's past tweets will, however, remain viewable to others while his account is locked in a "read-only" mode.
    That'll learn him.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Twitter has now banned Jones and InfoWars. From BBC News:

Twitter says it has permanently suspended the accounts of Alex Jones and his Infowars website.

It made the move after a number of tweets that violated Twitter's abusive behaviour policy, the company said.
    Apparently, the timeout didn't learn him.

User Tag List