Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Shopping

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Since the Ford Interceptor is going away, my department has been looking at what to go to next. What I hear is that PDs aren't having issues with the transmissions in the Chargers at all, but they go through brakes fast. I'd have to research if the pursuit rated Chargers get the same transmission as the commercial version now, though. They don't always. The first year for the 6 speed auto, pursuit rated got the older 5 speed.
    The reason I said what I did about the transmission isn't that I think it will fail, just that I don't think it's considered "sporty". Typically when someone says they're looking for a manual but would be OK with a auto they are looking to be sporty.

Although that may also exclude the Charger...

I'm not gonna lie, I am kind of looking forward to this thing. I'm hoping there will be a "Cross Country".

2019 Volvo V60 T6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The reason I said what I did about the transmission isn't that I think it will fail, just that I don't think it's considered "sporty". Typically when someone says they're looking for a manual but would be OK with a auto they are looking to be sporty.

Although that may also exclude the Charger...
    Dual clutch auto's are fine, I've had one since 2008 and been OK. Driving the 135 really made me miss it though. I just don't want a slushbox. My wife's Grand Cherokee is boring and bland. Might as well be driving a U-Haul box truck.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm not gonna lie, I am kind of looking forward to this thing. I'm hoping there will be a "Cross Country".

2019 Volvo V60 T6 AWD
    I had a chance to beat up one of the S60R's when they just came out and really dug it. I think this is worth looking at.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I drive a 2011 GTI currently. Prior I had a 2008 .:R32 and a 2001 Wolfsburg Jetta (1.8T). That's kinda the draw the to Golf R.
    Where you presently drive a FWD car... at least test drive a Honda Civic Si Model... 2 or 4 doors, 6 speed stick, $25k, and fun as hell to drive. Or for about about $10k more, the Type R is insanely capable little car with 300hp.
    Last edited by jandbj; 08-06-2018 at 02:10 PM.

I'd have to research if the pursuit rated Chargers get the same transmission as the commercial version now, though.
    They do not, it's still the 5 speed. The 8 speed zf transmission in the commercial version can't be adapted for a column shifter, only the twist knob as I call it. Evidently PD's still specifically request column shifters so the 5 speed will be around for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

You’ve driven an awful lot of euro cars. Going back to riceburners may irritate you; it did me, and while I like my outback it will probably get traded for a German car within a year.

I like VWs a lot; I’ve had... like ten or more. I think the niceness of BMW would really make you happy with your next car. Jenkins will know what the best value at this moment is, but it’s hard to imagine not being happy with a three series or a hot two.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Based on your stated criteria, look at Dodge Charger with Hemi, proper tires and a canned or custom tune and add Magnaflow mufflers. The tune will enhance the throttle response, add some power and will clean up the shift schedule. I ran a Challenger R/T like this and loved it.
    Careful with the aftermarket tune. My son just lost his factory warranty when the custom tune was discovered by a dealer scan and upload to the manufacturer. He did not backup and reload the factory tune before going in for service.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Careful with the aftermarket tune. My son just lost his factory warranty when the custom tune was discovered by a dealer scan and upload to the manufacturer. He did not backup and reload the factory tune before going in for service.
    This largely depends on your service advisor. But Dodge is notorious for pumping OE maps or 'updates' into anything and everything that visits them for service, regardless of what's being serviced - even something as simple as an oil change or tire rotation will get a PCM scan or new stock map loaded. That was one of the nice features about Diablo vs HP Tuners - Diablo allows you to store your custom tune in the device and revert to stock for a period of time, if needed. HP Tuners is a custom map pumped into the PCM and you need HP Tuners on a laptop to return to stock or restore the custom tune.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Your dealer is lying.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?
    No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    That only covers hard parts & components. Dealers void warranties following software changes under the latter half of that statement, essentially implying that any software changes will cause subsequent component failure - and it will if you're an idiot about tuning an engine or trans shift strategy, etc.

Many makers (spearheaded by GM and John Deere IIRC) are pushing that notion further under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, saying that software changes to the PCM/ECU is an illegal editing/alteration of a copyrighted work, implying that you don't actually *own* the software that runs your car's PCM you only 'own' the 'use' of the software so long as you 'own' the car.

Again, it ultimately depends on your service advisor. Some are absolute jerks about *any* changes, others are very reasonable.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I drove a 300C for a week back at Christmas. Surprisingly decent for a big, comfy, American car. That V6 doesn't suck, but then I'm old enough to remember thinking 300 hp was pretty darn good.

Currently entering month 8 of the wait for Bilstein to make some struts for my three-pedal Genesis coupe.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List