Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Shopping

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Well, I was in Qatar in 2003-2005. Not exactly 25 years ago, but not really today. Lexus was pretty big there, and since trademark enforcement is non-existent you had Lexus fruit stands and Lexus clothing stores, etc.

Regardless, it was not a US-only brand even in the beginning. It was certainly exported to the US, and preferentially because Japan had agreed to limit the number of vehicles exported to the US voluntarily to avoid a trade war. The deal was for a certain number of units, not a certain value, so it made sense to export the most expensive vehicles that would sell. However it was not specific to the US, nor even to North America.

From Lexus' history page:
    I don't really care enough to keep debating the particulars of this derailment, but just because the brand started "from scratch" doesn't mean it wasn't established to separate the "premium" brand from the utilitarian view of Toyota, and in fact that appears to be exactly the case whether or not specific to the US market, which was my original point, relative to the Hyundai/Genesis thing. it's not unheard of for a "budget" brand to break off a premium brand for perception reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd sure like an older NSX
    You and Mr. Wolf...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I don't really care enough to keep debating the particulars of this derailment, but just because the brand started "from scratch" doesn't mean it wasn't established to separate the "premium" brand from the utilitarian view of Toyota, and in fact that appears to be exactly the case whether or not specific to the US market, which was my original point, relative to the Hyundai/Genesis thing. it's not unheard of for a "budget" brand to break off a premium brand for perception reasons.
    Right, we're on agreement on the marketing differentiation being the reason for their existence. I never argued that point, and I believe mentioned that branding is a thing for a reason early on. It's just wrong that it's "just a US brand", which was the only part I addressed.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Acura is an American-only brand.

I'd sure like an older NSX
    No, Acura is also sold in Canada, China, Kuwait, Mexico, Russia (2012-2014 only), and (of all places) Ukraine. It is not sold as a brand in Japan.

Right, we're on agreement on the marketing differentiation being the reason for their existence. I never argued that point, and I believe mentioned that branding is a thing for a reason early on. It's just wrong that it's "just a US brand", which was the only part I addressed.
    Which apparently *isn't* wrong about Acura, isn’t really relevant to the discussion, and which I didn’t say originally was hard fact.

But you just keep gnawing in that bone little dog.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    No, Acura is also sold in Canada, China, Kuwait, Mexico, Russia (2012-2014 only), and (of all places) Ukraine. It is not sold as a brand in Japan.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Which apparently *isn't* wrong about Acura, isn’t really relevant to the discussion, and which I didn’t say originally was hard fact.

But you just keep gnawing in that bone little dog.
    Can we get back to the point of discussion and stop having a “who’s right” contest about something that doesn’t even realistically apply to the thread. It’d be cool if we could...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Can we get back to the point of discussion and stop having a “who’s right” contest about something that doesn’t even realistically apply to the thread. It’d be cool if we could...

Sure. I just wanted to see how far Rob would go to avoid just admitting something he posted wasn't right. I wasn't disappointed.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Sure. I just wanted to see how far Rob would go to avoid just admitting something he posted wasn't right. I wasn't disappointed.
    Ok... So that’s a big no from a forum moderator... Carry on I suppose.

In some ways the dealer service is more important then the car’s quantitative abilities.

Case in point, my stepdads BMW X5 was a POS. Spent more time in the shop then any vehicle my parents owned before that. Yet ask them what their favorite car to own was, they’ll tell you it was that one.

When it broke the service reps treated them like people instead of an annoyance, gave them a nicer loaner, and only offered them a trade in 7 years after purchase. By that point the warranty was about to end and it made more economic sense to change vehicles vs keeping the old one. They could have lemon law’d the thing , and probably would have if it were a Chevy/Ford/Kia.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Ok... So that’s a big no from a forum moderator... Carry on I suppose.
    1. That's not what he said. I can quote all of it for you, or you can re-read the relevant posts.

2. He does not moderate GD. It says what he moderates in his title.
    #RESIST

User Tag List