Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Shopping

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Be advised some parts are hard to get for it, being Australian and all. With GM closing the Aussie operation I’m not sure what the parts situation for that car will be in ten years time.
    By law GM or any other manufacturer is required to have parts available for ten years after a car is removed from production. The owner of the factory, which is Holden, still produces the commodore (Aussie SS) in Australia and makes all the parts besides the drivetrain and some other parts. So the inconvenience past ten years will be shipping costs from Australia, which will most certainly be a pain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Oils and Lotions SME
    Go drive a Durango SRT.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    By law GM or any other manufacturer is required to have parts available for ten years after a car is removed from production. The owner of the factory, which is Holden, still produces the commodore (Aussie SS) in Australia and makes all the parts besides the drivetrain and some other parts. So the inconvenience past ten years will be shipping costs from Australia, which will most certainly be a pain.

The Commodore is now made in Germany. The V8 Commodore plant that built the SS closed 8 odd months ago.

That’s not to say a Chevy SS won’t be a maintainable car- where the factory falls short in parts supply the aftermarket will certainly step up. But I doubt it’ll be cheap , or fast.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    The Commodore is now made in Germany. The V8 Commodore plant that built the SS closed 8 odd months ago.

That’s not to say a Chevy SS won’t be a maintainable car- where the factory falls short in parts supply the aftermarket will certainly step up. But I doubt it’ll be cheap , or fast.
    Yes you are correct I apologise, had a senior moment there. It's sad really with Holden now being fwd opels made in Europe. They made great cars, the gto, g8, SS etc.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    There is no budget, at least for this exercise. I'd like to open my eyes to options other than the 3 Series or the Golf R/S3 that I'm stuck on. The Chevy SS was dead I thought.

The M3 is something I just found out has some quirks I'm not a fan of, plus the N54/N55/B58 engines just sound sooooo mean with an exhaust.

Things like the Charger and Stinger would've been missed otherwise so I'll check them out, just like the Si below.

How hard are the Type R's to find?
    Under 10k mile used ones pop up in my search within 50 miles of where I’m sitting. Most dealerships will have you test drive a used one and decide if you want that one or to order a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    It's sad really with Holden .... They made great cars, the gto, g8, SS etc.
    Makes me think of "Mad Max" the last of the V-8's.

It does surprise me the SS went away. Our Sheriffs office took delivery of several of them just a couple of years ago. I happened to be at a stop light and half a dozen of them pulled into the turn lane next to me. I had to do a double take to figure out what they were.
    Last edited by JTQ; 08-08-2018 at 02:58 PM.

Totally screws the budget but the Audi RS3.... omfg.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Totally screws the budget but the Audi RS3.... omfg.
    Dude, the price didn’t put me off. The insurance did. Mustang is $90 a month, RS3 was gonna be $125. Also, maintenance was much higher. BUT, if neither are a big issue, the RS3 will literally stomp EVERYTHING in its class. And, you never see RS cars, so there’s an aura of exclusivity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a Kia Stinger GT1 a couple weeks ago; it meets the OP's requirements. Other makes/models I was looking at were the Golf R and 1-2 year-old Audi S4's. (Trying to stay under $45k).
    Last edited by CleverNickname; 02-17-2019 at 01:17 AM.

Audi RS3 insurance isn't terrible for me, only a few bucks more per month than the S3. Had a chance to drive the TT-RS, basically the same engine/suspension, and it didn't not impress me but there was an employees car that had some mild work done that got me going more than the RS3 did. I'm kinda leaning S3 with the RS grill, a software tune, and a cat back exhaust. Power wise I'll be at the same numbers, save $15,000 on the car, have a combo that lots of folks have put 100,000 miles on, and can run 16"-17" snow tires rather than 18"-19" only. Not a huge deal, I don't use snows much anyway, but the choices are much better a size down.

Still gotta look at the Kia. I'm almost 99% sure I'll hate the size but I'll look.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List