Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Shopping

Car Shopping

I'm starting to look into the next vehicle and figure I've got plenty of time to over analyze it, why not start a thread.

Requirements:
    • Manual or non-shitty automatic
    • RWD bias AWD or RWD
    • Capable in the snow with proper tires
    • 300+HP/TQ
    • Must sound throaty with exhaust
    • HID or LED

My initial thought had been a current year Golf R with a full exhaust and a flash with a manual but the Audi RS3 really got me. The S3 may be feasible too but then I went and drove a relatives 450hp/450tq BMW 1.35i and the i6 is certainly something and the flash tuner makes it rather simple to go from mild to wild. A new 240 or 340 might be doable too. Always on my mind is the WRX STi, despite being all but ruined from the boy racer vaping crowd.

Anything else I'm missing?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    I drive a WRX that I bought new in 2005. I love that car and enjoy driving it every time I get in it. At least test drive a Subaru.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I would be looking at the GTI R and the Kia Stinger...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I have two different friends that have GTI’s. Not my thing but it seems to check every box you’re looking for. Reasonably priced too.

I really wish Subaru would up their horsepower game. A Crosstrek with a WRX powertrain would be a lot of fun. Being severely underpowered was the only real complaint I had with mine.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I have two different friends that have GTI’s. Not my thing but it seems to check every box you’re looking for. Reasonably priced too.

I really wish Subaru would up their horsepower game. A Crosstrek with a WRX powertrain would be a lot of fun. Being severely underpowered was the only real complaint I had with mine.
    When I was shopping for Mom Car Part Deux, I looked really closely at AWD Subies. The only one that sounded remotely interesting was the turbo forester but I couldn't justify it given the issues people have had with that engine at higher mileage. Plus, it ended up pushing the price of the car out of my budgetary range.

Also, per the OP, I would probably push you towards a used Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack. You can find CPO or lightly used ones in the low 30s , which is a pretty great deal IMO. My friend just bought one and loves it.

edit: except the AWD part, oops. my bad.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 08-06-2018 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    When I was shopping for Mom Car Part Deux, I looked really closely at AWD Subies. The only one that sounded remotely interesting was the turbo forester but I couldn't justify it given the issues people have had with that engine at higher mileage. Plus, it ended up pushing the price of the car out of my budgetary range.

Also, per the OP, I would probably push you towards a used Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack. You can find CPO or lightly used ones in the low 30s , which is a pretty great deal IMO. My friend just bought one and loves it.

edit: except the AWD part, oops. my bad.
    I love our new Forester dark edition. Even without the turbo. Don’t get me wrong more HP would be great but it’s a great do everything vehicle.

I love our new Forester dark edition. Even without the turbo. Don’t get me wrong more HP would be great but it’s a great do everything vehicle.
    I ended up with the Mazda CX5, which is a little more torque-y and a lot more fun to drive, though obviously not the same legendary AWD. Ultimately they're all mom cars at the end of the day

I probably would've ended up with the subaru turbo if they weren't all way overpriced in my area (Denver metro), largely due to demand.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 08-06-2018 at 08:45 AM.

Forester turbos are overpriced here too. Almost 4-runner money.

I drive a 2011 GTI currently. Prior I had a 2008 .:R32 and a 2001 Wolfsburg Jetta (1.8T). That's kinda the draw the to Golf R.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Forester turbos are overpriced here too. Almost 4-runner money.
    Yup, exactly my experience - when comparing like-for-like CPO models, the 2.0 XT Foresters were maybe $1-2k less than comparable 4Runners, at most, and didn't have an 6cyl engine or body-on-frame construction to justify the cost increase, in my mind.

User Tag List