Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Car Shopping

Given the price of a new 911, Porsche should be ashamed if they ever *don't* top JD Power IQS. I mean, don't get me wrong, a 911 has been my [probably unachievable] dream car for a long time, but their new car pricing, especially the prices on options, is bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Wow.

That is pretty amazing for Hyundai Motor Group. Kia, huh? I’m impressed. Good for them.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Given the price of a new 911, Porsche should be ashamed if they ever *don't* top JD Power IQS. I mean, don't get me wrong, a 911 has been my [probably unachievable] dream car for a long time, but their new car pricing, especially the prices on options, is bonkers.
    https://youtu.be/a_L-TZARjVs

I recently drove the Hyundai Elantra GT N-line. It's like a Korean GTI with a 10 year warranty. I was actually really pleased with it, especially for the typical 22-24k street price. If it wasn't a little too small I'd own one right now.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Ok, that ad is actually pretty hilarious. Definitely put a smile on my face. Probably my favorite Porsche ad is one I saw in Car and Driver sometime in the late '90s. It had a motion blurred 993TT going around a corner at some presumably absurd speed, and the only words were "kill bugs fast."

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    That study is the JD Power "Initial Quality Study" which covers the first ninety days of ownership of a new vehicle. It uses units of issues/complaints per 100 vehicles. Both of these are complaints, equally weighted by the study:

1) Apple CarPlay is slow to start.
    2) Vehicle engine shut off when I came to complete stop.

The results are pretty meaningless in the long term and the brands on top tend to change rapidly while long-term reliability and customer satisfaction scores do not.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    That study is the JD Power "Initial Quality Study" which covers the first ninety days of ownership of a new vehicle. It uses units of issues/complaints per 100 vehicles. Both of these are complaints, equally weighted by the study:

1) Apple CarPlay is slow to start.
    2) Vehicle engine shut off when I came to complete stop.

The results are pretty meaningless in the long term and the brands on top tend to change rapidly while long-term reliability and customer satisfaction scores do not.
    wait.

that doesn't agree with the preconceived notion I was hoping to reinforce by reading that.

can you please re-define so that it better matches my internal paradigm?

I already bought a Kia and my wife wants a Porsche so I'm going to need some assurances that we did the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    wait.

that doesn't agree with the preconceived notion I was hoping to reinforce by reading that.

can you please re-define so that it better matches my internal paradigm?

I already bought a Kia and my wife wants a Porsche so I'm going to need some assurances that we did the right thing.
    The funny thing about the study is that brands that are traditionally luxury brands have customers who tend to complain about issues because they spent enough money to "have the right" for perfection. Those people have expectations and there are more complaints about those vehicles. Whereas some people are actually pleased when a vehicle just works.

One lesson is that the last six months of ownership is what drives brand loyalty, not the first ninety days or years. Toyota does well because, as a statistical aggregate, the vehicles perform very well at extended mileage and age.

Site Supporter
    FWIW, I leased an Alfa Romeo Guilia 9 months ago. Drives like a sports car, looks great (subjective), and I can't get my wife (who was opposed to the car at first) out of the car. (Her car is an AM Vantage, 6 speed, so she is a real car person.) I have had many great sports sedans, but I don't think any one of them was a better driver. 0-60 in about 5.5 seconds, so fast enough even though it only has about 300 HP. Heavy shopping can find good discounts.

Seriously considering the Quadrifoglio when this lease is up.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

User Tag List