Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Car Shopping

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

It looks like it was designed to be invisible to North Korean radar (or something).

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    1. That's not what he said. I can quote all of it for you, or you can re-read the relevant posts.

2. He does not moderate GD. It says what he moderates in his title.
    Ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After extensive experience using and observing vehicles in one of the most harsh environments in the world, I have identified a few standout models:

The Good:

- The 70 series Toyota Land Cruiser will inherit the earth after we die. The chosen ride of many developing military's and assorted technical manufacturers, this line of trucks withstands a level of professional neglect that is without peer. If there is a way to abuse or hurt this vehicle, I have seen it happen.

- The Toyota Rav4 - in the consumer car segment, this is the vehicle that seems to most commonly survive in the worlds worst environment. This outmatches literally every other make and model of car on the road in this country. (Honda suspension parts seem to die much faster, and apparently the motors and transmissions are not as comfortable with using the oil they were delivered with for the next 10 years) There are better cars, but none that fit that sweet spot in the price/performance balance.

The Bad

- Chevy suburban might as well not even be playing in the same field. I have a deep love of the platform, but when you choose not to perform any pmcs on a vehicle for 4 or 5 years while feeding it a steady diet of potholes, sandstorms, and bad gas... it just cant hang.

The WTF:

- The only thing more surprising than seeing one first generation Porsche Cayenne in a country where the per capita GDP is below $1k, is seeing several of them. Note, there are otherwise almost no VW's present

- Likewise the Prius. There is at least one circa 2005 model in this country, a country where the vast majority of the roads are unpaved.

Has anyone told you to get a Miata yet? It doesn’t meet your specs but there’s never been an unhappy person in a Miata. Every car I’ve ever bought for reasonable or practical reasons had been diminished for not being a Miata.
    Last edited by TheRoland; 06-16-2019 at 08:17 PM.

@JDD

Where is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    @JDD

Where is this?
    Francophone sub-saharan Africa.

Chevy Suburban is a Mini-14.

LCs are FN FALs.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Chevy Suburban is a Mini-14.

LCs are FN FALs.
    HiLux is the AK?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    HiLux is the AK?
    I feel like you've probably seen this before, but yes indeed, the Toyota HiLux diesel is in fact the AK of pickups:

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    After extensive experience using and observing vehicles in one of the most harsh environments in the world, I have identified a few standout models:

The Good:

- The 70 series Toyota Land Cruiser will inherit the earth after we die. The chosen ride of many developing military's and assorted technical manufacturers, this line of trucks withstands a level of professional neglect that is without peer. If there is a way to abuse or hurt this vehicle, I have seen it happen.
    The old Isuzu Troopers soldier on in various levels of 3rd world neglect.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List