Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How can my wife strengthen her hands/arms to rack the slide?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    Grasp firearm grip panels firmly in strong hand (assume right) with barrel pointed to the left, horizontal to the body. Grap slide with left hand in an overhand grip to the rear of the slide so that both thumbs are on the same side (closest to body). Drive the points of the thumbs toward the opposite elbows.
    Follow those instructions and you'll get tossed off any range in Christendom for muzzling the person in the lane to your left.

Bad advice, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Follow those instructions and you'll get tossed off any range in Christendom for muzzling the person in the lane to your left.

Bad advice, Dave.
    Turn body 90 degrees first. Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by commandar View Post
    Turn body 90 degrees first. Problem?
    At least then the only elbow you can blow off if you slip will be your own.

(Seriously: Go grab your blue gun and game this out for yourself. I am aware of at least one person who gave themselves a spectacular "racing stripe" and missed winning a titanium elbow by a tiny fraction of an inch in this manner.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    (Seriously: Go grab your blue gun and game this out for yourself. I am aware of at least one person who gave themselves a spectacular "racing stripe" and missed winning a titanium elbow by a tiny fraction of an inch in this manner.)
    The muzzle should end up pointed and moving away from the elbow the way it works for me. YMMV, I suppose.

Yes, but it starts off with the elbow in front of and just above the muzzle.

I mean, the consensus these days is that the old-school "pinch check" is a little too unsafe because it puts a finger in front of the muzzle; this "across-the-body slide rack" puts half your arm there.

Sure, if you do it right, you keep your forearm and elbow above the bore axis and your finger out of the trigger guard, but since it's possible for practically anybody to run the slide while keeping the muzzle properly downrange, I just fail to see the purpose in propagating one with such potentially disastrous consequences if you fumble it.

User Tag List