Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How can my wife strengthen her hands/arms to rack the slide?

Quote Originally Posted by randypollock View Post
    It worked out great today because we was both at home for lunch and she tired to rack my SA Range Officer and my Para PDA 9mm she couldn't do either one. When I watch her it's hard to tell where the weakness is..it could be both. If I had to choose I would say arm strength.
    Besides pull-downs, and curls in the gym.. push ups and pull-ups...

Has she tried punching the bottom end of the gun? Usually folks visualize holding the bottom of the gun, and pulling the slide. What if she got a good grip on the slide and punched out with the hand holding the pistol grip.

It worked out great today because we was both at home for lunch and she tired to rack my SA Range Officer and my Para PDA 9mm she couldn't do either one. When I watch her it's hard to tell where the weakness is..it could be both. If I had to choose I would say arm strength.
    Not that I doubt you, but look at the size of the muscles in her arm. I am sure she could pick 30 lbs off the floor using only one arm, since that isn't much of a task, but squeezing something like the slide of a gun while doing it is a bit different. Just my opinion though. Also, if you strenghthen your grip, some forearm strength is gained as well. A good, strong grip is also benefical in controlling a gun.

Keeping it close to the body, as mentioned above, is definitely a benefit.

I'll give these are try and the first thing we will try is getting the gun close to her body.
    Randy P.

About Me

Randy, thanks for bringing this up, my teen-age daughter has the same problem and I've been at a loss as to what to have her do.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Randy, thanks for bringing this up, my teen-age daughter has the same problem and I've been at a loss as to what to have her do.
    So far the suggestions haven't solved the issue with Gerri, but we are continuing the strength exercises mentioned and I hope that she can "muscle" up enough to help with the close body approach at racking the slide.

Bob let me know if your daughter does any better.
    Randy P.

About Me

One thing that came to mind is to have her try a sports glove (batting, golfing, etc) and see if some of the issue isn't the tenderness of her skin. At least with the glove she can give it all she's got without worry off tearing off some flesh. Might help to further diagnose what the real issue is.

Another good suggestion. I'm hoping this weekend to find the time we can practice some of these ideas.

I will video the attempts and then post them next week.
    Randy P.

About Me

I will video the attempts and then post them next week.
    Great idea. Hopefully we can help.

Quote Originally Posted by commandar View Post
    +1. Cornered Cat is a great resource for women interested in shooting. It's written with such a great, encouraging tone.
    +2

There's a lot of good information for both men and women shooters at Cornered Cat.

Has your wife read Cathy's instructions and tried them Randy?
    Help Protect Our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join The NRA

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less". General Robert E. Lee

We have looked over them and hopefully Monday evening we will get a chance to video her trying some of them out. This weekend has been to crazy to have any time.
    Randy P.

About Me

User Tag List