Thread: Model 28 help

Model 28 help

I have a 4 inch model 28 when I fire the gun as soon as it gets warm it immediately binds up and I cannot fire any subsequent shots. After one cylinder of 38s the gun becomes unreliable. I have tried different ammunition only to have the same problem. I知 looking for any information on a reputable gunsmith that could repair this and also perform a duty action job. I have a video of the gun locking up however I知 unable to post it here Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by stinx; 08-05-2018 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stinx View Post
    I have a 4 inch model 28 when I fire the gun as soon as it gets warm it immediately binds up and I cannot fire any subsequent shots. After one cylinder of 38s the gun becomes unreliable. I have tried different ammunition only to have the same problem. I知 looking for any information on a reputable gunsmith that could repair this and also perform a duty action job. I have a video of the gun locking up however I知 unable to post it here Any help is appreciated.
    Check for trash under the ejector star.

Check to make sure the ejector rod hasn稚 started to work loose. These are left hand threads.

Check to make sure the cylinder face and forcing come face are clean.

Check for end shake.

The first three are correctable by you. The last usually requires shimming.
    Last edited by Wheeler; 08-05-2018 at 03:24 PM.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

If your Model 28 has no dash and no number after the dash, the ejector rod threads are right-hand. On the 28-1 and later guns, the ejector rod threads are left-hand. Make sure the charge holes are clean and dry as any lube can cause shells to be jammed against the standing breech.

Marc Morganti (Gemini Customs) in Frankfort, KY, does good S&W work. Frank Glenn is a legend.

When was the last time it was cleaned and the lubricant changed?

That's the first place to start.

Site Supporter
    I had an issue like this in my pre model 27, but it wasn't consistent. When it would bind up I could back off and then it would work some times. It ended up I needed a new hand. But as many have said I did a pretty detailed scrubbing and lead, copper and powder removal from the barrel, cylinder and the ejector. I did notice with mine when it would bind the back of the cylinder would push up.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    When was the last time it was cleaned and the lubricant changed?

That's the first place to start.
    The gun has been cleaned and lubricated properly.

Does the cylinder start to rotate?

Yes, check everything Wheeler mentioned.

Least likely but still worthy of mention:
    No, check bolt & bolt spring (push cyl release rearward while pulling trigger), check cyl stop function (look for cyl stop disengaging cyl notch while pulling trigger).

User Tag List