Range: 7 yards
    Hits on dot one: 9
    Hits on dot two under par: 7
    Hits on dot three under par: 6
    Hits on dot four: 7
    Hits on dot five under par: 5
    Hits on dot six under par: 7
    41/62 hits = 66%

I became starkly aware of two flinching behaviors when I shot this drill. I caught myself both jerking the trigger and pushing the gun high and right with my support hand at different times. The vast majority of my misses came from those two flinches. I think this is a fundamental, pervasive problem that throws an intermittent monkey wrench into any shooting I do. Sometimes it's worse when I am specifically trying to take my time or take extra time in an effort to ensure accuracy, and less bad when I simply fire when I and the gun are ready and to the point of breaking the shot. It was so annoying and frustrating that after I got done with the DotW, I shot ball and dummy for a while, which felt like it improved things a little, but I think I need to do it more.

Seven yards might have been a little ambitious too – I have to fire a very good shot to hit that 2 inch circle at seven; anything less than that just doesn’t cut it on such small a target.

Started out at five yards. Cleaned the first string, but couldn't get a single hit under par on the second string. I was rushing the press-out and jerking the trigger. I should have stopped right there and done some ball and dummy drills to get my trigger finger back under control. Instead, I moved in to three yards and started over. Bad choice.

-starting position: P239 in Blackhawk! CQC leather IWB at 1:00, concealed under a short-sleeved shirt, hands relaxed at sides
    -range: three yards
    -hits on dot one: 10
    -hits on dot two under par: 6 (2 misses, 2 over par)
    -hits on dot three under par: 4 (3 misses, 3 over par)
    -hits on dot four: 10
    -hits on dot five under par: 3 (2 misses, 5 over par)
    -hits on dot six under par: 6 (2 misses, 2 over par)

I couldn't stop jerking the trigger. I was watching the sights dip with nearly every shot and was getting REALLY frustrated. When am I going to learn to stop with whatever drill I am working on and work some ball and dummy when that happens???

I was very surprised at the last string. I figured I wouldn't have a single hit. Tracking the sights on the little 239 turned out to be easier than I anticipated. It runs like a much larger gun than it is. It also helped that I "gave up" and relaxed on that string.

That was a seriously frustrating drill. I'll be using it a lot in the next few weeks.

We are diminished
    starting position: concealed (Keepers Custom aiwb)
    range: 7yd
    hits on dot one: 10 / 10
    hits on dot two under par: 8 / 10
    hits on dot three under par: 7 / 10
    hits on dot four: 9 / 10
    hits on dot five under par: 7 / 10
    hits on dot six under par: 9 / 12
    total score: 50 / 62

Then I slammed my hand in the car door twelve times, once for every @#$! shot I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Then I slammed my hand in the car door twelve times, once for every @#$! shot I missed.
    That's hardcore. All I did was silently hate myself the rest of the day over my misses. I kind of wanted to punch myself in the face, but I didn't want to look weird in class, so instead I imitated a curb stomping to illustrate a point. It was cathartic.

In all seriousness, do you have a sense of what went wrong when you missed?

Start position: G19 w/RMR07 in an AIWB Fricke Seraphim concealed under a long sweat shirt and soft shell TNF vest.
    Range: 7 yards
    Hits on dot one: 10/10
    Hits on dot two under par: 7/10
    Hits on dot three under par: 4/10 (I stunk on this one)
    Hits on dot four: 10/10
    Hits on dot five under par: 9/10
    Hits on dot six under par: 11/12
    Total hits: 51/62 = 82%

• starting position - AIWB, G17, shaggy, hoodie
    • range - 3 yards
    • hits on dot one - 10/10
    • hits on dot two under par - 9/10
    • hits on dot three under par - 6/10
    • hits on dot four - 10/10
    • hits on dot five under par 6/10
    • hits on dot six under par 6/12

just when I think I have you, press-out, I speed things up a tad and throw shots out horribly.

currently do things better as a whole with a punch out.

the press out, when it works, shows so much potential though.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

User Tag List