Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DotW 20: SHO & WHO Speed Push

Site Supporter

DotW 20: SHO & WHO Speed Push

Please read the rules before participating in this thread.

Week 20: SHO & WHO Speed Push
    results may be posted until 11:59pm EST on Monday 20-February-2012.

Range: 5 or 7 yds
    Target: 8 inch circle
    Start position: ready posistion
    Rounds fired: 64

This week we are going to build on the SHO/WHO practice from last week with the addition of time pressure.

Begin from the ready position at 7 yards. You may start at 5 yards if you are unsure of your ability to hit at 7. Record the time required to get two guaranteed hits on the eight inch circle strong hand only. This is now the par time for the strong hand portion of the drill. Using this par time, attempt to get as many hits as you can under the PAR. Repeat until you have fired 30 rounds (32 including the two rounds used to generate the PAR time) strong hand only.

Repeat the entire process weak hand only.

The primary purpose for this drill is to push SHO and WHO speed, so the goal is 90% hits.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:
    • starting position (which ready position)
    • range
    • SHO PAR
    • WHO PAR
    • total number of hits
    • most hits under PAR on a single string SHO
    • most hits under PAR on a single string WHO

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Last edited by joshs; 02-13-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Range: 7 yds
    Target: 8 inch circle
    Starting position: compressed high ready
    Gun: HKP30L
    SHO PAR: 2.56
    WHO PAR: 2.88
    Total number of hits: 51
    Most hits under PAR on a single string SHO: 26
    Most hits under PAR on a single string WHO: 25

Hope I scored this right.

Interesting part of all of these WHO/SHO drills is that I am a better WHO shooter. My PAR on my WHO was higher to start but my average WHO was near the 2.50s with a freak 2.28 and my average SHO was 2.60s with a freak 2.03.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Most hits under PAR on a single string SHO: 26
    Most hits under PAR on a single string WHO: 25

Hope I scored this right.
    Sorry, the explanation wasn't very clear. It is supposed to be the most hits under a single PAR. Since the PAR is two shots at a comfortable pace, the idea is to get as many hits under each iteration (every PAR) as you can. You should be trying to get 3-4 hits under the PAR.

Oops! I shot fast from the get go, b/c I was going on memory for this drill, but got my hits and set that as my par. Then I just kept pushing to keep my hits under par. Mmmmm, I hope I have time to run this again sometime this week.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

•starting position - high ready with PPQ
    •range - 7yd
    •SHO PAR - 1.92
    •WHO PAR - 1.80
    •total number of hits - 51
    •most hits under PAR on a single string SHO - 3
    •most hits under PAR on a single string WHO - 3

I could consistently get 3 hits but the wheels came off when going for 4 hits under PAR.

Starting position: Compressed ready for both SHO and WHO
    Range: 7 yards
    SHO Par: 1.65
    WHO: Par: 1.80
    Total Number of Hits: 42/64 (certainly not 90%)
    Most Hits Under Par SHO: 3
    Most Hits Under Par WHO: 3

It was interesting--started out putting 2 hits on target, then three, bobbled that a bit, then noticed I had time to try for 4 here and there. However, since I was pushing past my skill limit, I of course ended up with a number of misses. (Slightly over 1/3, actually.) When I'd push for 4 shots in a run, I'd often end up throwing 2 instead of just missing the last one. This happened for both SHO and WHO runs.

Afterward, I got curious and ran 10 rounds each through SHO and WHO, just taking a look at the time to get two shots on target comfortably. Both SHO and WHO times dropped, with SHO averaging at 1.19 with the slowest at 1.25, and WHO dropping to 1.28 with the slowest at 1.38. No misses in either run of 10 shots.

I should have then tried to get three shots per run comfortably just to see how consistent that would be, and whether it would still be under the PAR, but I was frozen and it was dark, so it didn't happen.

When trying to rush and get under PAR (trying to get that extra shot in) I'd miss. Judging from the time it took for 2 shots at the end, I shouldn't have had ANY trouble with 3 per run---and probably wouldn't have once I knew that I could do it while relaxing.

For myself, I think I'd structure this drill a little differently: I'd start with the same method to set the PAR time, and then I'd run it five times, two shots each, recording my split times and total times. I'd try to get more consistent and quick as I practiced. After the five runs, I'd look and see how much time was left before the PAR---if it was equal to or greater than the split time, I'd do five runs working on three shots per run under the PAR time---again, working for all hits but working on quickness. After the five runs, again I'd look to see how much time was left, and would continue adding more shots as it become possible. If the time wasn't there, I'd run another set of 5 attempts, and try to get them on target quicker. And so on.

That way I wouldn't be pushing faster that my accuracy could handle quite as much. For myself, I have a horrible tendency to yank the trigger when I push faster than my skills allows---and so ALL the shots are bad instead of just the last one.

Slow, slow, slow par time...

starting position (which ready position): High
    range: 7 yards
    SHO PAR: 6 sec
    WHO PAR: 6 sec
    total number of hits: 54
    most hits under PAR on a single string SHO: 6
    most hits under PAR on a single string WHO: 4

This actually looks pretty good until you realize I was working with a 6 second par on both the SHO and the WHO. I think I took the whole, guarantee two hits thing a little bit to the extreme. After I finished this drill I started working on reloads from slide lock. In an effort to get the four shots after the reload off, faster and faster, I realized I could have been going faster on the DOTW.

As you all have figured out by now, I'm new to pistol shooting. When it comes to participating in these DOTW's i'm learning a lot more than just what the drill was intended for.

The new DOTW post is the only reason to look forward to Monday. Thanks for all the effort that clearly goes into this.

Keith

Starting position: Compressed High Ready w/G17 using RMR07
    SHO Par: 1.60 sec
    WHO: Par: 1.80 sec
    Total Number of Hits: 57 hits
    Most hits under PAR on a single string SHO: 4
    Most hits under PAR on a single string WHO: 3

No surprises, but when only going for 2 hits, there were NO missed shots; when trying for more than 2 hits under PAR there were lots of misses.

Best clean FAST today was a 5.47 sec. Failed a cold Defoor #1, but passed #2 and #3. 300 pt aggregate was a 278-3x.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 02-17-2012 at 06:23 PM.

I really shot this drill the wrong way. I went right to the edge when setting the PAR times, which left me zero room to push them without the wheels coming right off, which is exactly what happened. Also caught myself target focusing a few times which certainly didn't help. Ugly, ugly shooting from me this week.

Start position: retracted ready (tried the slightly muzzle elevated version as the Rogers' transition position appears to be.)
    SHO PAR: 1.06 (.67, .39)
    WHO PAR: 1.32 (.82, .50)
    Total Number of Hits: 30/64. 47%. Effing puke.
    Most hits under PAR on a single string SHO: 3
    Most hits under PAR on a single string WHO: 2

ETA: I will shoot this drill again more realistically, to try to redeem myself. I don't expect to have the chance before this DotW is closed though.

starting position: High compressed
    range: 25ft(close as I could get on this range)
    SHO PAR: 1.73
    WHO PAR: 2.25
    total number of hits SHO:28
    most hits under PAR on a single string SHO: 3

I only got more than 2 rounds under par once with 3rds in 1.71. I was keeping the 3rd shot under 1.8 pretty consistantly though.

I only ended up shooting about 4 strings of WHO because I was getting less than 50%hits. I decided I wasnt being productive and worked on some 50ft WHO bullseye.

User Tag List