Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Orleans RFI

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    A similar conference to mine was just recently there, and the reports from pretty much every attendee are horrific in terms of the cesspool, robbery rate (multiple armed robberies, at least one stabbing, one report I'm aware of of the hotel valet stealing people's shit out of their car), etc. Just seems... unpleasant.
    This might be a conference phenomenon, or maybe it's taken a turn. Except for the stealing, which I think is more or less expected.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    This might be a conference phenomenon, or maybe it's taken a turn. Except for the stealing, which I think is more or less expected.
    seems to be related for sure.

Evidently the previous conference was advising people to remove any visible signs of being an attendee, travel in packs, etc. Obviously all good ideas in general, but no conference goer has been stabbed that I'm aware of when the event was in Vegas.

Also, badge or not, backpack or not, walking out of the conference center is a pretty good indicator one is part of a conference!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    My take on NO is that Louisiana is beautiful once you leave that city. The smell...
    Agreed, assuming you don't come to Baton Rouge.

Site Supporter
    I went a few years ago when my car club had an event in Lake Pontchartrain. The WWII museum is awesome and there's good food in lots of different places. The French Quarter at night was a weird, wonderful shit show of humanity on parade. Walking around was like watching one of those scenes in a movie where the bad guy ducks into a rave and the cops are trying to track him down - a heaving sea of oblivious drunks, with an overlay of loud music, predators on the hunt, guardians on watch (heavy police presence around the margins) and observers just taking it all in. At some point I'd like to go back and rent a room with a balcony overlooking the whole circus for a night or two.

If nobody mentioned Erin Rose and Frozen Irish Coffee - you should go - pour one out for Dr William Aprill (RIP).

The place is a dive, but the FIC is 100% worth it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I stand mildly corrected. Appears that the WWII museum mentioned a few times in the thread is catty-corner to my hotel and therefore might be worth a stop.

I spent the Monday after Tac-con there and it was well worth the visit. Looks like most of what was under construction then is now open, definitely a full day of stuff to see.
    Last edited by TQP; 10-11-2022 at 05:31 PM. Reason: typo
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    We were there earlier this year for Mardi Gras. Didn't see much outside the French Quarter, although we did spend most of the day in the World War II museum. The WWII museum is definitely worth it.

If you want to go some place in the French Quarter, and you can get there morning / early afternoon, you'll avoid most of the circus.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I am getting the sense that a lot of people are sort-of lukewarm on the city, but I think it's really something special. I'm sure that's colored by personal experiences being positive, but there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    It's just a great city to be a tourist in. The CharBroiled oysters at places like Drago's
    Reading that gave me a chubby. One of the great experiences in life. I also love sitting at the bar at Acme Oyster House in the French Quarter, and working through 6 or 7 dozen raw and chargrilled oysters over the course of a few hours while chit chatting with the shucker.

Preservation Hall, also in the French Quarter, is another one of my happy places. I go at least once every time I'm there.

I wouldn't sweat it too much, RR. Police are all over the place in the French Quarter, and I estimate you've got a solid 85% chance of making it home alive.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    We were there earlier this year for Mardi Gras. Didn't see much outside the French Quarter, although we did spend most of the day in the World War II museum. The WWII museum is definitely worth it.

If you want to go some place in the French Quarter, and you can get there morning / early afternoon, you'll avoid most of the circus.
    I agree afternoon is my favorite New Orleans time. I’m literally in an Uber from my hotel (Intercontinental, my wife somehow got a screaming deal of 150 a night including taxes) to the airport as I’m typing this.

Man do I love the food and music here!

Stay out of East New Orleans, watch for pickpockets, don’t go out super drunk (unlike 90% of the people here), only walk on busy streets at night, don’t go exploring during nighttime, and don’t argue with anyone about anything and you will be fine.

Although I can’t imagine bringing anyone here under the age of 25. Until about 18 they will be prey; after that they are too rash to stay out of trouble.

User Tag List