Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans RFI

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Louisiana has difficult to interpret(unclear)knife laws. Check N.O. ordnance on knives. Cops there are underpaid and overworked. Don't argue with them. I grew up 116 miles north of the city, lived there briefly, and was always cautious. Traffic is terrible.
    Thanks for bringing up knife laws. I was going to ask in my initial post but forgot all about it. I normally carry a clinch pick and a cheap folder. Would there be any issues with those? I’ll look up the knife ordinance today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Been a while since I was in NO, but I second the recommendation for Deanie's in Bucktown.
    https://www.deanies.com/

If you are in the mood for a formal, white linen tablecloth type dinner, the two spots I recommend are The Bon Ton Café and Gallatoire's.
    http://www.thebontoncafe.com/
    http://www.galatoires.com/menus

My wife and I used to love Mona Lisa Pizza (and it used to be open during lunch).
    https://www.monalisaneworleans.com/

Finally, no trip to NO is complete w/o at least one trip to Café du Monde for beignets and café au lait for breakfast. The beignets are like square doughnuts or sopapillas with powdered sugar sprinkled on them. If you do not like a robust coffee with chickory, get the café Americain instead. I still laugh when I remember my wife putting seven (!!!) bags of sugar in her cup to try and cover the chickory flavor.
    http://www.cafedumonde.com/
    Last edited by David C.; 08-07-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer.

seems to be the most recent relevant thread...

Appears that the cheese has continued to slide further and further off the cracker in NOLA, however I'm unable to avoid going in early November.

I hear that dirtbags linger outside the convention center looking for attendees based on business dress, company-logo polos & jackets, and attendee lanyards.

Anything else to be aware of, in particular in that area? I'll be staying at the Higgins Hotel, and frankly I'm fine to never leave the hotel save for my one presentation at the convention center, and also perfectly willing to take an Uber 4 blocks if needed.

Anything there still worth doing, relative to risk associated? I have a few bars and restaurants I'd like to go to but am likely to forego all of them at this point.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I have a few bars and restaurants I'd like to go to but am likely to forego all of them at this point.
    I think never leaving your hotel in a city with such a rich history and culture is one of the worst life choices you could possibly make. There are already great places in this thread that are all worth nearly any risk.

IMHO, don't spend time in sketchy places after dark and you'll be fine. The murder rate isn't great but if I had to choose between never having another NOLA beignet and death, I would seriously consider death.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    I think never leaving your hotel in a city with such a rich history and culture is one of the worst life choices you could possibly make. There are already great places in this thread that are all worth nearly any risk.

IMHO, don't spend time in sketchy places after dark and you'll be fine. The murder rate isn't great but if I had to choose between never having another NOLA beignet and death, I would seriously consider death.
    Might help me to have some context around that statement. Do you live there? When was the last time you were in the area(s) in question?

ETA:
    As I mentioned, I'm willing to venture out and about if there's something truly worthwhile. Didn't see much of excitement in the previous posts, and my tolerance for humanity is pretty low these days. Shitty humanity even lower. it's less about "fear" than it is general disgust.

Went to Austin several years ago for the same conference. Stayed in a suspect area, and after one evening walking around looking for a burger and a beer was ready to get on the plane and come home. Subsequently enjoyed myself after some geographic re-orienting and re-location (changed hotels after the first 3 days), so all is not totally lost.

That said, as mentioned, perfectly willing to minimally attend conference and fill gaps with stints at hotel bar. Particularly if the shitbird quotient out and about is high.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I stand mildly corrected. Appears that the WWII museum mentioned a few times in the thread is catty-corner to my hotel and therefore might be worth a stop.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Might help me to have some context around that statement. Do you live there? When was the last time you were in the area(s) in question?
    I'm a frequent business-traveler/tourist there, although only once this year so far. I'll probably be back before the end of the year.

It's just a great city to be a tourist in. The CharBroiled oysters at places like Drago's, crawfish from old-school creole places, the WWII museum, the public art, the touristy ghost-and-voodoo stuff, the spectacle of the French Quarter (even if you're not into partying, which I'm not)...

Plus, the murder rate is bad, but I'm pretty sure other cities I spend time in are actually worse in terms of overall violent crime rate. Atlanta and St. Louis come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    Plus, the murder rate is bad, but I'm pretty sure other cities I spend time in are actually worse in terms of overall violent crime rate. Atlanta and St. Louis come to mind.
    A similar conference to mine was just recently there, and the reports from pretty much every attendee are horrific in terms of the cesspool, robbery rate (multiple armed robberies, at least one stabbing, one report I'm aware of of the hotel valet stealing people's shit out of their car), etc. Just seems... unpleasant.

I'm actually pretty much totally non-concerned with dying.

Also worth pointing out I have little interest in either of those cities either.

And I love "cities".

My experience consists of two week long conferences, so not much. Stayed on Lake Pontchartrain once and within a walk of the convention center for round two. My take on NO is that Louisiana is beautiful once you leave that city. The smell...

November should be better from a crowd perspective. The convention center itself is nice and not a bad place to spend a day. And I've never had a bad meal there. But, other than the ww2 museum, I'd be fine watching the iron railing guys that I was walking past on the way to and from the convention center work as much as anything else in town. On the second trip, we were surrounded by a volleyball tournament and watching 10 yr old girls walking around with a ton of beads around their necks just gave me the willies.

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    I'd be fine watching the iron railing guys
    William Morris is said to have remarked about the Eiffel Tower, when asked why he spent so much time there, "This Is the Only Place Where I Can Avoid Seeing the Damned Thing".

in that vein, this doesn't seem a bad place from which to view the city...
    https://visitingmedia.com/tt8/?ttid=...group=0&tour=3

Name:  higgins-hotel-gallery-13-5e5922d3873de.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  101.7 KB

Name:  higgins-hotel-gallery-9-5e5922bc697b1.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  80.2 KB

User Tag List