Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FAS Shotgun Master Test

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Damn, that takes a lot of steel targets... I'd love to try my hand on it sometime, but I'm not going to buy 10 pepper poppers any time soon.

Neat course of fire though.

If only there were places where one could pay a nominal fee and be able to shoot while agreeing to follow a certain set of rules. These places could have props that were available to the paying customers, props such as steel targets, and target stands. We could call these places...Gun Ranges.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

If you have access to a range where you can just borrow 10 pepper poppers to shoot, good for you. At my local range we get a u-shaped dirt berm and a filthy outhouse with a broken door. Sometimes there are enough target stands in intact enough condition to set up simple drills, sometimes there aren't.

In fact, I don't know any range anywhere in the country where you could borrow 10 pepper poppers.

What is the distance on tests 3 and 4? 10yd continuation from test 2?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Safety on? Ugh...

I like Tom’s ideology of, “when you pick it up to use it, shut off the damn safety. When you put it back down, turn the safety back on.”

I guess a way around that for this test would be a Vang Comp dome safety, since those disengage when I just get a grip on the gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    That being said, the Vang dome safety of the 870 is slick.
    I remember George saying on here one time that a negative of the domed safety is not being able to tell by feel if the safety is engaged or not. It was something I hadn't considered before, and now I'm not sure if I want to add one to my M1S90.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    What is the distance on tests 3 and 4? 10yd continuation from test 2?
    I presume 10 yards, but it isn't specifically listed.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

If you have access to a range where you can just borrow 10 pepper poppers to shoot, good for you. At my local range we get a u-shaped dirt berm and a filthy outhouse with a broken door. Sometimes there are enough target stands in intact enough condition to set up simple drills, sometimes there aren't.

In fact, I don't know any range anywhere in the country where you could borrow 10 pepper poppers.
    Ouch, that sucks.

However, you should get out more. :-)
    Try ranges/clubs that do action events like uspsa/ipsc and 3-gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I remember George saying on here one time that a negative of the domed safety is not being able to tell by feel if the safety is engaged or not. It was something I hadn't considered before, and now I'm not sure if I want to add one to my M1S90.
    You can tell by feeling from the off side.

If the concern is not knowing whether or not to deactivate it, I deactivate it whether it needs it or not.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by johnm View Post
    Ouch, that sucks.

However, you should get out more. :-)
    Try ranges/clubs that do action events like uspsa/ipsc and 3-gun.
    The place I shoot, there are IPSC matches, military 3-gun, Cowboy Action, training events, even a bit of IDPA (at least when I'm on the range ). Still, no metal targets to borrow or rent on the range. Everyone (who first has to get permission to use metal targets at all) brings their own. And people travel quite a bit to get to this range, because it is one of the better ones in the area.

FAS Shotgun Master Test

The place I shoot, there are IPSC matches, military 3-gun, Cowboy Action, training events, even a bit of IDPA (at least when I'm on the range [emoji4] ). Still, no metal targets to borrow or rent on the range. Everyone (who first has to get permission to use metal targets at all) brings their own. And people travel quite a bit to get to this range, because it is one of the better ones in the area.
    That sucks. My condolences.

That said, there are lots of clubs/ranges that have this kind of equipment.
    Last edited by johnm; 08-05-2018 at 01:50 PM.

User Tag List