Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAS Shotgun Master Test

FAS Shotgun Master Test

Firearms Academy of Seattle SHOTGUN MASTER TEST

Test One: Accuracy: Student will shoot 2 slugs standing, 2 slugs left side cover, 2 slugs right side cover, 2 slugs kneeling and 2 slugs sitting or prone into IPSC target. No time limit. Must have all C-zone hits or better. Target set at 50 yards.

Test Two: Speed: Student will face 5 pepper poppers. ON signal must knock down popper within one second. Repeat 5 times. Buckshot used. 10 yards, start with shotgun at Low Ready, safety on, finger outside trigger guard.

Test Three: Multiple hits: Student will face one steel silhouette, and from low ready, will fire two shots under 1.2 sec. (1.4 for pump). Repeat 3 times to pass.

Test Four: Multiple targets/manipulation. Facing 10 pepper poppers, student will start at high ready with shotgun loaded with 5 rounds. On signal, student will shoot down 5 poppers, reload and shoot down other 5 poppers. Time limit, 20 seconds semi, 25 seconds pump. May pick up a missed popper, but must do so within time limits.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

FAS Shotgun Master Test

Safety on? Ugh...

I like Tom’s ideology of, “when you pick it up to use it, shut off the damn safety. When you put it back down, turn the safety back on.”

I guess a way around that for this test would be a Vang Comp dome safety, since those disengage when I just get a grip on the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sherman A. House DDS; 08-04-2018 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Safety on? Ugh...

I like Tom’s ideology of, “when you pick it up to use it, shut off the damn safety. When you put it back down, turn the safety back on.”

I guess a way around that for this test would be a Vang Comp dome safety, since those disengage when I just get a grip on the gun.
    Point: Mossberg.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Until the safety locks up and you end up with a $300 javelin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Mossies used to have a problem with a plastic piece in the safety mechanism breaking and locking the selector in between the on/off positions and totally locking up the gun. Upgrading to an all steel safety mechanism is strongly suggested.

That being said, the Vang dome safety of the 870 is slick.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    The Mossies used to have a problem with a plastic piece in the safety mechanism breaking and locking the selector in between the on/off positions and totally locking up the gun. Upgrading to an all steel safety mechanism is strongly suggested.
    I hadn't heard that it was a problem, but one of the things on my "to do" list is to replace the safety anyway. I see that FAS has the Advanced Defensive Shotgun class scheduled for this October, so now I have an incentive...

(Do you know if one brand is recommended over others? Stick with OEM?)
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I hadn't heard that it was a problem, but one of the things on my "to do" list is to replace the safety anyway. I see that FAS has the Advanced Defensive Shotgun class scheduled for this October, so now I have an incentive...

(Do you know if one brand is recommended over others? Stick with OEM?)
    I put a Vang Comp on a 590 I recently acquired. Brownells also has one under their label. OEM should be fine if you make sure you go all metal, but it isn’t going to have the surface area of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I put a Vang Comp on a 590 I recently acquired. Brownells also has one under their label. OEM should be fine if you make sure you go all metal, but it isn’t going to have the surface area of the others.
    Brownells has kits with all parts, Mossberg OEM for $35.99, and Brownells Enhanced for $39.99. The Brownells Enhanced button looks like it might have a little more meat to it than the Vang one does.

The truly paranoid part of me wants to replace the plastic trigger assembly with an all steel one, but that costs $200+, and (thankfully) is back ordered...

Note to self: Get that strap wrench so you can replace the magazine follower.
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Brownells has kits with all parts, Mossberg OEM for $35.99, and Brownells Enhanced for $39.99. The Brownells Enhanced button looks like it might have a little more meat to it than the Vang one does.
    Having tried all three, I’d strongly recommend the Vang Comp safety over those others. Brownell’s “Enhanced” would be more appropriately titled “Sharpened.”

Damn, that takes a lot of steel targets... I'd love to try my hand on it sometime, but I'm not going to buy 10 pepper poppers any time soon.

Neat course of fire though.

User Tag List