Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taran Tactical John Wick 34?

Quote Originally Posted by navyman8903 View Post
    I've also got to be honest the trigger poundage is 1lb lighter than I prefer. IT's 3lbs for that package, I prefer 4-4.5lbs on rifles and pistols alike. Still reliable and light enough to do nice work. So this Taran gun isn't going to be a serious use pistol for me.
    Im all for getting want you want. Paint gold flames or a NASCAR logo on your pistol, I don’t care.

But in this case, the best part is the trigger - and it’s not exactly what you want? I’d look for something that’s exactly what I wanted before spending that amount of coin.

((FWIW, range toy or not, 3lbs is lighter than I prefer on a striker fired pistol. I’m sure others disagree. I’m not here to try to change anyone’s mind.)

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I shot my buddy's Gen 5 G17 yesterday with just drop in TTI parts - sights, trigger, and guide rod/spring combo - it is a very nice budget gamer gun. I bet the John Wick version G34 is very nice. If you can afford it, go for it.
    A couple shooting buddies have dropped the $40 ultimate Gen 5 kit in their Gen 5s. Makes for an amazing trigger. Light, I'd guess 4lbs max. Clean break. I probably wouldn't carry it but if I had a dedicated game gun, for a Gen 5, wow.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Leaving aside the Taran bits, who can discuss the shooting characteristics of a 17L vs a 34?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Leaving aside the Taran bits, who can discuss the shooting characteristics of a 17L vs a 34?
    I didn't mention it earlier but IMO similar. Certainly not muzzle heavy.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Umm, lemme see: We're talking about a $1400+ additive cost to a platform, based on a Hollywood movie/perception of reality??

Ok, my snarkiness aside, I personally thing that there really aren't any substantive advantages to be derived for ones $1,400+ expenditure that couldn't be in my opinion better achieved through dedicated practice/use of a stock, or essentially stock Gen 3, Gen4 or Gen5 Glock G34. On my personal Glocks, I'll change out the sights, add an extended slide release, and may judiciously tailor the internal components (using Glock OEM components only) to tune the performance of each individual Glock, and that's pretty much all I've personally found to be necessary.

Regarding Glock trigger quality, what I recommend before dropping any significant coin on ostensible improvements, do 2 things first:

1. Perform a detailed disassembly, and apply a pervasive lubricant of choice to the triggerbar/connector interfacing surfaces (I recommend both Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2 grease or Mil-Comm's TW25B); reassemble, and

2. Put at least 500 rounds through the gun. Lubrication and metal-on-metal parts burnishing through actual use can accomplish some surprisingly good triggerpull results with the OEM components.

But hey, if someone has the discretionary income, and a compelling need to spend it primarily on aesthetics on their G34, far it from me to stifle your contribution to the free enterprise system....

Hmm. Maybe my snarkiness didn't actually get set aside...

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 08-05-2018 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    It’s perfectly OK to buy a gun because it’s cool, period. Not everything has to fit into a Tactical Equipment Categorization Table.
    We do not judge, we do not point fingers. We accept you for who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Umm, lemme see: We're talking about a $1400+ additive cost to a platform, based on a Hollywood movie/perception of reality??

Ok, my snarkiness aside, I personally thing that there really aren't any substantive advantages to be derived for ones $1,400+ expenditure that couldn't be in my opinion better achieved through dedicated practice/use of a stock, or essentially stock Gen 3, Gen4 or Gen5 Glock G34.
    Agreed. If results on target are all we care about (aka the “Tactical Equipment Table”) a Glock 17/19/26 and $2,500 worth of training and ammo are all any of us need , period.

But there’s something to be said for owning a gun for the art of it. If OPs not starving his kids to pay for it, why not order a Taran Tactical G34? Hell he doesn’t even need to shoot the thing...put it in a lucite display case with a gold coin and call it good.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Personally, I don't think a tarted up Glock is going to give you anything substantive over a stock Glock and a couple of cases of ammo. That being said, if that's a guys thing than go for it. 98% of the guns in my safe are just because they're cool guns, so no judgement here. Regarding John Wick, I'm more enamored with his suits and his car than the hardware.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 08-05-2018 at 06:14 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by navyman8903 View Post
    For the sake of brevity I'm not going to quote everyone. So the reasons I want it are two fold. 1. I do think it's cool to have it, and I'd LIKE to have it.
    Sounds to me like you've got all the reason you need right there. Life is short and shitty enough that sometimes "I just wanted one" should be considered sufficient cause to spend money on otherwise-unnecessary things.

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  29.8 KB

Site Supporter
    I have a Gen 5 Glock 19 and holster, Gen 4 Glock 26 and holster, Ruger LCP and holster, and Gen 4 Glock 17 and holster.

I’d be lying if I didn’t slip into a Cabela’s this afternoon to handle a Gen 5 Glock 34 earlier today for the 8th or 10th time.

I’ve lost 50-ish lbs and can comfortably carry a Glock 19. But yet part of me wants Glock 34 Gen 5 because it’s a fun gun to shoot and I could maybe do USPSA or two gun matches with it. But I definitely don’t need it.

I’m definitely planning on a 34 and I consider it the Glock version of my SA TRP.

I’d say budget a bit at a time and if you still want it in a few months go for it.

God Bless,

Brandon

ETA: Or don’t wait at all if you’re certain now but I thought your mind seemed unsure from the thread.
    Last edited by BWT; 08-05-2018 at 09:22 PM.

User Tag List