Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing the Surefire Millenium into the 21st Century

Bringing the Surefire Millenium into the 21st Century

If you're like me, you probably have one or two of these lying around. The lights are tough (combat proven) but are about worthless nowadays with the incandescent lamp.

Malkoff makes a drop-in LED that's a decent option. It is about $40 and does a good job of making one of these old lights useful. Battery life is good enough and the lamp puts out something like 350 lumens. Decent but not great by current standards.

So I was curious about fitting a new modern Scout head to one of the old bodies. I talked to Gene Malkoff about this. Turns out he already makes a threaded adapter for the legacy Surefire shotgun forends that allow a Scout head to be used.

It was a completely simple manner to unscrew the old bulky Surefire head assembly and screw the adapter into the body. Now I can easily use a new Surefire head. Color doesn't match of course but that's not a big deal to me.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

So why bother? Why not just get a new Scout? Well, because I already have the mount, tape switch, etc for the old Millenium. Plus why not, given the cost of a new Scout and the DS tail cap?

Here are some weight measurements:

M951 light with Malkoff LED M61 and batteries. No big clamp rail mount. 0.50 lbs

M951 body with Malkoff thread adapter and KM2 Surefire head with batteries. 0.34 lbs

Surefire M622V Scout assembly with ADM QD mount and batteries. 0.42 lbs*

I’ll leave mine as they are for IR.....

The big clamp standoff clears my IR laser aimer...sort of the point of the unit if I’m not wrong
    Last edited by Duke; 08-04-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I’ll leave mine as they are for IR.....

The big clamp standoff clears my IR laser aimer...sort of the point of the unit if I’m not wrong
    You running a KM3 head or incandescent with filter?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    You running a KM3 head or incandescent with filter?

I’ll give you that the km3 isn’t the best IR illumination....that’s what the be Meyers mawl is for.

But for training Guns and spares it’s decent set up - especially given how cheap m952Vs can he had for.
    Last edited by Duke; 08-04-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I’ll give you that the km3 isn’t the best IR illumination....that’s what the be Meyers mawl is for.

But for training Guns and spares it’s decent set up - especially given how cheap m952Vs can he had for.
    Yep I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    So I was curious about fitting a new modern Scout head to one of the old bodies. I talked to Gene Malkoff about this. Turns out he already makes a threaded adapter for the legacy Surefire shotgun forends that allow a Scout head to be used.
    This seems interesting... Which old bodies is that adapter compatible with? Could you use one to put a Scout head on a 1" flashlight body?

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    This seems interesting... Which old bodies is that adapter compatible with? Could you use one to put a Scout head on a 1" flashlight body?
    I'm really not familiar with the various Surefire lights and the changes they have made along the way. Sorry.

I think it would work on any 1” body as th 952 is a standard 1” C head.

Malkoff also makes a great head for the 962 Millennium series lights. Bigger still, but really bright with good run time.

Name:  334B5637-0232-491C-8473-1352ACECFC1C.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  44.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    I think it would work on any 1” body as th 952 is a standard 1” C head.

Malkoff also makes a great head for the 962 Millennium series lights. Bigger still, but really bright with good run time.
    I wouldn't mind trying one of his 700 lumen scout heads but the run time isn't very good. Only something like 15-20 minutes.

User Tag List