Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First AR - LaRue?

All right, so it looks like I'm getting a 16" PredatAR 5.56 as soon as we sit down and order the thing.

So, I'm guessing that he's just going to buy the rifle - if that's the case, then it will need sights. I think I want to put an RDS on there, maybe with magnification, but right now I'm not ready to throw down for an Aim Point which is what I understand is the way to go.

I'll probably just put irons on for now, I'll at least want BUIS no matter which way I go with optics. Are the troy industires fold-down BUIS the best way to go? Any other good options out there? Any pearls of wisdom as far as sights/scopes/optics that you guys can share?

Thanks to everybody that replied, I think the PredatAR is going to be a much better fit than the OBR.

IMO the Troy flip-up sights are the best option for those looking to buy once and transition from irons to eventual optics but aren't quite sure what optic they may wind up with. They lock in the "up" position so they'll work fine as a standalone set of sights but they have the option to fold them down if you decide later that they are in the way of your view through whatever optic you wind up going with.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    IMO the Troy flip-up sights are the best option for those looking to buy once and transition from irons to eventual optics but aren't quite sure what optic they may wind up with. They lock in the "up" position so they'll work fine as a standalone set of sights but they have the option to fold them down if you decide later that they are in the way of your view through whatever optic you wind up going with.
    Yeah, what he said.

As for optics, you would be well served with just about anything by AimPoint. I have also become a big fan of the 3x ACOG's for a mid-range carbine.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

6920+Aimpoint > PredatAR+Irons

Just sayin'

A good optic really is worth the $$.
    You won't see the benefit of the LaRue over any other quality AR if you don't match the glass to the application/potential of the tool.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post

Just sayin'

You won't see the benefit of the LaRue over any other quality AR if you don't match the glass to the application/potential of the tool.
    This is true, but I didn't want to beat him up any more on the Larue thing!

I think that since his boss wants to buy him something "nice" the PredatAR is a good compromise. Hey, it's better than an antique!

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post

Just sayin'

Unexpected gift is kinda driving the train here .

I wasn't really planning on getting into the AR game at this point but I'm really excited about it.

My thought process was to slap some irons on it, get some training and shoot it - then figure out what I want to do optics wise -- kinda torn over 1x RDS or something magnified. I've been thinking I'll probably end up with both eventually so I should probably just pick up an Aimpoint ASARP (r=resonable)

My biggest issue is figuring out how best to apply limited resources. If somebody dropped a PredatAR on your lap and said here's $1000 - what's the best way to spend that $1000? I don't know if $1000 is really my money limit right now but realistically thats probably all I can spend on that platform for at least 6 months.

Check out the Sample List from SWFA (RifleScopes.com). They sell demo and used optics at good prices. And if you have an optic you want to sell, they will buy it.

http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C4.aspx#Aimpoint

You might find that an older Aimpoint M4 is a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    My biggest issue is figuring out how best to apply limited resources. If somebody dropped a PredatAR on your lap and said here's $1000 - what's the best way to spend that $1000? I don't know if $1000 is really my money limit right now but realistically thats probably all I can spend on that platform for at least 6 months.
    Damn, missed this, sorry:

H1 w/ Larue Mount: $600
    VCAS: $50
    Magazines: $60 (Black non-windowed Pmag or US GI OKay w/ magpul followers)
    SF G2 w/ mount: $70
    Remaining $$ into ammo

ETA: does the Pred come with sights? Can't remember. If not, get those too.
    I prefer a fixed front sight, one of the Troy models will work great.
    Rear depends on application.
    If you think you might want a magnifier or a traditional scope at some point, grab a folder.
    Matech, KAC, and Troy all make decent rear folders.
    If using a dot optic, I prefer a fixed rear for most applications that the optic fits.
    I like the units from Daniel Defense, LaRue, LMT, and a simple chopped down carry-handle.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 03-03-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Just to update this - everything got put on hold for a while and then today I went and picked up a 6920 with the magpul furniture and an aimpoint PRO - after reading multiple threads on here that kept saying 6920 I decided to listen - I'll get it to the range tommorrow and see how it goes.

BTW - where are people mounting slings on the magpul moe - can't seem to find the sweet spot (using a 2 point VTACS)

You have a few options.

One, that I have used in the past, is the UWL from Blue Force Gear. There are a lot of ways you can play with this thing and try different mounting locations. They make a short and a long, and I've played with both and personally found the short to be easier to deal with.
    http://www.blueforcegear.com/product...%E2%84%A2.html

You could also use something like this, which is nice because it gets the mount up and away from your hands. On the carbine handguards there isn't a lot of space so I'm an advocate of mounts that don't interfere with my hand position. You'll need an HK snap hook at one end with this.
    http://www.impactweaponscomponents.c...k-sling-mount/

There are several options for attaching QD cups

One is this part, which is surface mounted to the MOE slot
    http://www.impactweaponscomponents.c...-detach-sling/

Another, that I use, is this part which requires you to drill a single hole in the handguard
    http://www.impactweaponscomponents.c...d-micro-mount/

I used option two on these two uppers so that I can swap them back and forth on this lower.

User Tag List