Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First AR - LaRue?

Absolutely nothing wrong with the OBR. Would love to get my hands on one, but it's not in the financial picture. No way in this Gods earth I can justify dropping $3k on a rifle.

Is your boss hiring?

Pretty cool your boss appreciates your hard work and wants to reward you for it.

As for the Larue it's all ready been said....a lot of worse choices then a Larue.

I hope you get it and enjoy shooting it, oh yea don't forget to take the boss on a range day on your dime

Cool

If you don't want it, I call dibs!

I would submit for consideration that the OBR line was designed with the tactical designated marksman in mind, not as a general purpose rifle. It fills the first role very well, the second, not quite as well. The PredatAR was designed with the idea of taking close to the same accuracy as the OBR, and putting it into a lighter, more agile, and more utilitarian package than the OBR.

Pred accuracy is sub-MOA. OBR accuracy is 1/2 MOA. I can count on one hand the number of carbine shooters I have had in advanced courses that could wring out the kind of accuracy where that 1/2 minute mattered. That doesn't mean an accurate carbine is not desirable, but the Pred gives you among the top tier in accuracy in the AR platform, but with the balance, weight, and ergonomics of a GP rifle.

I wouldn't turn down an OBR, but it wouldn't be my first choice. The Pred makes much more sense to me.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    Why? - that's a real question, what's the difference and what would make the PradatAR or PradatOBR better?
    I was starting to post a reply and then noticed the thread had gone to two pages. Sean hits exactly what I would have said below. I will add that I don't think a lot of people understand all of the features of the OBR, like the cant to the top rail, and equate "expensive" and "best for a particular application" with "good" and "best all-around".

Free is free though, and I obviously wouldn't turn down a free one, but if I was able to influence the decision at all I would want the PredatAR as a first/only AR if Larue were my only choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I would submit for consideration that the OBR line was designed with the tactical designated marksman in mind, not as a general purpose rifle. It fills the first role very well, the second, not quite as well. The PredatAR was designed with the idea of taking close to the same accuracy as the OBR, and putting it into a lighter, more agile, and more utilitarian package than the OBR.

Pred accuracy is sub-MOA. OBR accuracy is 1/2 MOA. I can count on one hand the number of carbine shooters I have had in advanced courses that could wring out the kind of accuracy where that 1/2 minute mattered. That doesn't mean an accurate carbine is not desirable, but the Pred gives you among the top tier in accuracy in the AR platform, but with the balance, weight, and ergonomics of a GP rifle.

I wouldn't turn down an OBR, but it wouldn't be my first choice. The Pred makes much more sense to me.

Then again, one can always get a general purpose BCM, Colt or DD that is top notch and will do everything a general purpose carbine can do. But far less likely one will ever spring for the specialized 1/2 moa OBR.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Sean, Rob
    Thanks for the response. I'm admittadly way out of my lane here and the whole situation kind of took me by surprise. I've had an AR on my list of things to buy for a while but wasn't planning on allocating funds towards that for a while. I also wasn't planning on buying a LaRue when I did - I've just heard a lot about how they are pretty awesome so I just kind of threw it out there and then realized that I'd better check here and make sure I wasn't going to spend a lot of money on something that really isn't what I want.

It sounds like the PredatAR would be a better fit - I don't have any self-illusions about wringing sub MOA accuracy out of a rifle so it sounds like I wouldn't be taking advantage of what the OBR has to offer.

Hopefully this will come to fruitiion - I'll keep you posted.

You'll be fine either way I'm sure, but know that if you get the OBR you're probably going to want glass that costs 2x what the gun does for it!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    It sounds like the PredatAR would be a better fit - I don't have any self-illusions about wringing sub MOA accuracy out of a rifle so it sounds like I wouldn't be taking advantage of what the OBR has to offer.

Hopefully this will come to fruitiion - I'll keep you posted.
    Perhaps a LaRue is not the right tool? As was mentioned, you can get a Colt or Daniel Defense for GP if having a sub-MOA capability is not a requirement for your applications. The OBR is half-MOA. The Pred will shoot sub-MOA all day with decent factory ammo. Most Colt's and DD's I have worked with over the years can hold their own at 1.5-2.5 MOA, but tack drivers they are not.

And don't let Rob scare you with his optics comment. I have yet to find $5,000 glass that was astronomically better than their $2,000 competitors.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Well, I hadn't looked at the price of the OBR lately. So we'll say that you'll want to spend at least equal the cost of the gun, on glass.

User Tag List