Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Abysmal Customer Service

Abysmal Customer Service

I have several FNs, 9,9c,40c my FNs9c's recoil spring came loose from the plunger. I called FN was told to send a picture which I did, I am trying to download here. Following is the response I received.

Thank you for contacting FN America. A request was submitted on your behalf to have Recoil Spring Guide Assembly sent to you under warranty. Unfortunately, the part is not covered under warranty. However, it is available at our parts distributor Midwest Gun Works. Attached is the part # and cost.

Would Glock, Sig S&W responded similarly. I doubt it. Sorry FN I am through with your firearms. The guns are quality the customer service without question the worse.

Name:  fn.jpg
Views: 1626
Size:  7.9 KB

Their funeral... I'm sure they've got plenty of military contracts and don't need the civilian market, but Colt said the same thing right up until they lost their contract and then they were up shit creek. Perma-burning customers over a $10 part is beyond assinine.

I remember another thread on here where another person received some pretty abysmal service from them when his FNS went tits up, but I can't find it.
    Last edited by VT1032; 08-02-2018 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    I remember another thread on here where another person received some pretty abysmal service from them when his FNS went tits up, but I can't find it.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....roke-my-FNS-9L

I’m shaking my head. I’m certainly glad they spent so much time, energy and money in operators and engineers to make the FN509! model that will likely disappear like a fart in the wind that they have to recoup the cost by not warrantying cheap parts. How many obsolete handgun models do they have now?

Meh the SCAR and military contracts will keep them going until they don’t.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Not trying to be rude at all....but if you love the gun, what it’s $24 (or there abouts) for a replacement?

Again not being rude - but why not keep spares so you aren’t at the mercy of a warranty?

We’re not taking the slide cracked in half....we’re talking a consumable, high wear part.

Should it be handled better, sure. But most adults are not good at their jobs - that means it’s mostly up to you to look out for you.

Maybe they’ll refund you the cost or maybe not. Either way...imo....it’s not worth the stress to wait around on what they’ll cover.

With this being the age of the internet, where consumers are no longer reliant on gun rags for info, it doesn't make sense (IMHO) to give people a reason to post threads like this.

Three relevant rules I always keep in mind are 1) It costs several times as much to gain a new consumer than to retain an existing one. 2) Dissatisfied customers are several times more likely to express their dissatisfaction with others than satisfied customers are to express their satisfaction. 3) People are far more likely to trust information from sources such as this (presumably non-compensated) than they are advertising (although businesses sometimes seem willing to spend a lot on advertising and then alienate existing customers).

Although not always positive, my personal experience with handgun problems resulted in things like:

- Ruger replaced a six series revolver they no longer carried parts for / could not repair with a new Match Champion at no charge (I thought this was amazing)

- Glock replaced a cracked polymer frame at no charge.

- S&W has sent me parts that broke on an early M&P 9 gratis on more than one occasion.

- SIG paid shipping both ways on a firearm that went in for repairs.

Based on my experience in these instances, and what I've seen posted here with FN, I'll avoid any potential drama and look elsewhere. Might be a great company with great products, but why should I risk it when I don't have experience of my own with their company and am more inclined to trust the folks here than FN's advertising. Multiply this over a lot of viewers, and it might be smarter to replace small parts without much fanfare.
    Last edited by Willard; 08-02-2018 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Not trying to be rude at all....but if you love the gun, what it’s $24 (or there abouts) for a replacement?

Again not being rude - but why not keep spares so you aren’t at the mercy of a warranty?
    I understand the sentiment, and coming from a competition background I understand the notion of spare parts and spare guns... but as I’ve gotten older I can say I appreciate customer service more and more. If OP wants to post his experience and vent a little I say more power to them. Swearing off the guns completely? Cool with me, America and we have options.

CZ and Walther have been great to work with, there are plenty of parts to buy either online or via the manufacturer - everything I’ve heard of FN has seriously steered me away from purchasing their products. I’ve heard great things from Glock and others.

I love having spare parts but I also love gun companies that have more consistently good service. YMMV.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

OP, how many rounds thru the gun please?

OP,

I think you are screwed. You have 3 FN guns which you admit are quality but can't rid of without taking a loss. I appreciate you sharing your experience so that it may help me make any decisions regarding FN products. However, if I were in your shoes, I would just buy the recoil spring assemblies for the those 3 pistols you have all at the same time and save on shipping in the future.

Vending Machine Operator
    I’ve seen enough nightmare threads about FN customer service to scare me off buying one. I’d likely own a 509 as a fun lark otherwise.

I want S&W or Glock style customer service where they can’t wait to help me. Bad service? Sad for your company, there are a lot of choices these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List