Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 1,000 Lumen X300U

Ha! I just bought this https://www.armsunlimited.com/SureFi...-p/x300u-a.htm this week. Best price I'd seen by a few bucks and thought I was getting a deal. Was unaware the 1K lumen was pending release or would have waited.
    Last edited by Willard; 08-02-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    Honest question from someone who knows very little about flashlights. What does this do that a TLR1HL won't? I'm genuinely curious, not trying to fling shit. I've never seen enough difference to justify paying twice as much, but I see a lot of smart people who seem to find a reason.
    I have used both professionally. In all honesty, I can’t tell a difference in the output. Both put out a strong hot spot with great spill. Where the TLR has a huge advantage is in the switching for a right handed shooter. It is easy to activate in momentary on mode with your weak hand thumb with a normal firing grip and maintain that light activation through recoil. As soon as you break your grip, the light is off, which is what you want in most situations. The x300 can be activated in the same way, but it goes to a constant on mode. If you have to move, change positions, reload, or do anything else where you want the light off, you have to manually turn it back off. The momentary function on the x300 (push forward on the switch) is almost worthless on a pistol light. I can’t reliably activate it with a firing grip and it’s impossible to maintain through recoil.

I also think a tlr1 HL is hard to beat on a cqb rifle, especially if you’re not using an IR laser. I mount mine at 12:00 in front of the front sight post, which gives me more forgiveness working the light around right or left side cover. Just like with the light mounted on a pistol, pushing down with my left hand thumb allows me to turn the light on in momentary mode with a full firing grip, and as soon as I let off pressure to transition to my pistol, move, or change a mag, the light goes off. In my experience this is a much more reliable and ergonomic setup than running a tape switch. I’ve gone through more surefire scout light tape switches than I can remember.

1000 lumens is a lot of light indoors. Why have the xh30 and the x300u? If they are both 1000?

I own surefire and streamlight. I prefer the surefire it just looks like its built like a brick shithouse. Also love the lines. I also prefer the beam when out in the fields/woods at night. Switching is also better for me. I still use the streamlight, but will be replacing with new x300 or the xh30. I just prefer Surefire. I also have a couple friends who have had the streamlight do funny shit in the winter time on them on their duty pistol. -10/-20* but the light should just work. Once they warmed them up in the cruiser they worked. But after that I never used mine again in the winter. Not taking the chance. They are both very squared away dudes with a shitload of experience.

I am to the point now where 100$ for a peace of mind aint shit. So if I personally trust something 100% it is well spent.

The XH30/XH35 are Masterfire holster-compatible, and also have a switch on the bottom for selectable hi/low output if memory serves.

Why you'd ever want "low output" on a weaponlight is beyond me, but it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    The XH30/XH35 are Masterfire holster-compatible, and also have a switch on the bottom for selectable hi/low output if memory serves.

To quote a far more knowledge person, "All the lumens, all the time."

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post

Thanks, apparently I had forgotten all about that.

To be fair the low is not terribly low and may be better indoors.

I like both the Stream light and the Surefire offerings and believe that either will serve you well. Personally I feel (rather than know for sure, other that when testing various lights at some Pat Rogers classes in the past. This information might not correlate to these brand new lights...) that the beam on the surefire x300u series lights throws slightly farther and burns through a phosphorescent barrier slightly better than a comparable stream light, which does seem to have a wider pattern, though the amount that that matters would be up to you to decide. I am a firm believer in all the lumens, all the time as well. I like the DG switch that surefire makes slightly better that the comparable switch for stream light. Honestly though.... with 12 to 13ish or so X300U A and Bs in service on various pistols and rifles, the biggest thing that keeps me on the surefire train is Holsters, Swapping lights out now would be very expensive holster wise, But for someone buying one light to put on one gun that is really not as much of a concern. I am quite enjoying the XH35 on a offset mount on AR's where I'm trying to keep the weight down, while still providing all the lumens that I can.

As for low lumen output on weapons lights, It can be useful on long guns for breaching, other than that I'm not really sure and I would not want to be flipping those tiny levers on the fly. Rather have a separate small light mounted for that.
    Last edited by rcbusmc24; 08-03-2018 at 10:32 AM. Reason: added info

Cool! I was already planning to order another X300U next week
    "A man's character is his fate."

Just an FYI. I looked into this light, its only 3000 candela which means its very much a flood light and not a "good" defensive light by the standards of some SMEs. For reference, the X300U B is 16,500 candela, and the TLR 1 HL is 12,000.

The specs in the Recoilweb article says 11,300 candela, so i'm sure it'll still punch pretty hard

for comparison, I recently moved from the 500 lumen EB2 handheld to the 1200 lumen EDCL2-T. At first i thought it didn't project as hard a beam as the 500 lumen model, but I'm thinking that it's still punching through as hard, but because there is more flood as well, my perception is that the center beam isn't as tight.
    Last edited by theJanitor; 08-03-2018 at 04:09 PM.

User Tag List