Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 1,000 Lumen X300U

Good read here - https://www.surefire.com/how_to_choose_weaponlights

There are several factors that effect the width of the hot spot in the center of the beam. One of them is the size of the LED. All other factors equal, place a larger LED in the same reflector and the size of the hot spot will increase. A larger reflector would be required to maintain the same beam configuration as a smaller LED.

Larger LEDs are used for higher current capacity and lumens. Could very well be that SF is using a different (larger) LED in the new X300 for the increased lumen output, which would fully explain the lower candela but wider hot spot beam pattern. But since SF does not specify which LED is used in their product, that is speculation on my part and the only way to know for sure is to put the new version next to the old one and observe the size of the emitter.

For light weaponization purposes, there is no dispute that the more narrow, higher candela/lux beam has the greatest blinding potential, so in that regard the 600-lumen version still has the edge. However for general illumination purposes, distributing the lumens in a more even pattern while maintaining a discernable (if less intense) hot spot is generally the best compromise.

No science, but I really like the new light testing it around the house and for illuminating inside to outside and the yard. Combined with a Fury handheld, it is an impressive combo that I would have lived to have had as a working LEO. I have built a grab kit for bedside based on a Sneaky Bag. The LTT Elite with the 300U and the Fury handle the illumination needs.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    No science, but I really like the new light testing it around the house and for illuminating inside to outside and the yard. Combined with a Fury handheld, it is an impressive combo that I would have lived to have had as a working LEO. I have built a grab kit for bedside based on a Sneaky Bag. The LTT Elite with the 300U and the Fury handle the illumination needs.
    Without elaborating on a public forum, my PPQ is placed within view and quick reach at night, but now I keep my Hound Dog 18650 (900 lumens/29,000 lux) with it for easy grab-'n-go. Since taking the low light course I certainly have greater faith in my abilities with a hand held but I still see the value of having a WML as well. I currently have a second-gen Inforce APL which isn't bad but it's a PITA to take on/off every day (requires a screw driver) and since I don't EDC with a WML, it's pretty much unused.

I'm still kicking myself for selling the old X300-A (300 lumen version) I once had, the QD A-mount was perfect for easy on/off. I may need to just buy a new one.

If you don't need holster compatibility, and the light doesn't do anything heavy duty, one cheaper option might be an Olight Valkyrie PL-2. I know, not a premium brand, but Aaron Cowley did a review where he was quite positively impressed with the light. And the one on my girlfriends rifle has kept on working for the last nine months it's been there, though admittedly her round count with said rifle has been low. Still, that light should be good enough for just sitting on a nightstand and being taken off each morning. I'm not sure I buy their claim of 1200 lumens, but the light really is really bloody bright.

Of course, if the price of the Surefire doesn't present a problem, ignore my ramblings and just get that.

Needs to come in fde...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Needs to come in fde...

It does.

https://www.surefire.com/illuminatio...rail-lock.html

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    If you don't need holster compatibility, and the light doesn't do anything heavy duty, one cheaper option might be an Olight Valkyrie PL-2.
    I had strongly considered that but can't bring myself to buy Chinese when something equivalent (or in this case, clearly better) is available from a U.S. manufacturer. I'm sure the Olight would serve my needs well but in today's political/trade climate, I've really turned into a grumpy old American.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 08-13-2018 at 05:18 PM.

1,000 Lumen X300U

There is no replacement for a wml as far as I am concerned. I can use a handheld just fine. But having that wml and being able to have a free hand is irreplaceable. I have a handheld on my nightstand. They go together quite well. But serve different purposes.

As far as bedside holster. Raven vanguard or the xfer work quite well. More like a trigger guard but has the ability to go iwb.
    Last edited by Trukinjp13; 08-13-2018 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Without elaborating on a public forum, my PPQ is placed within view and quick reach at night, but now I keep my Hound Dog 18650 (900 lumens/29,000 lux) with it for easy grab-'n-go. Since taking the low light course I certainly have greater faith in my abilities with a hand held but I still see the value of having a WML as well. I currently have a second-gen Inforce APL which isn't bad but it's a PITA to take on/off every day (requires a screw driver) and since I don't EDC with a WML, it's pretty much unused.

I'm still kicking myself for selling the old X300-A (300 lumen version) I once had, the QD A-mount was perfect for easy on/off. I may need to just buy a new one.
    Trust me, I have zero issue with a high power handheld and a pistol. Worked for me my entire LE patrol career. The handheld is more important to me than the WML.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    A vs B? I thought B was the way to go.

User Tag List