Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: 1,000 Lumen X300U

Quote Originally Posted by parishioner View Post
    Just received a x300u-A and it has play fore and aft when installed on a gen 5 g17 using the universal plate.

Whats particularly annoying is I have an older x300 with the universal plate that locks up tighter than a nuns you know what on the same gun.

Because of that I attempted to swap all the hardware from the older model to the new, including the plate spring, universal plate and rails thinking the tolerances might be different only to have the same issue.

I tightened all 6 screws sufficiently, still loose. With the picatinny adapter plate installed it literally slides off and on with no resistance.

So I just installed the rail lock plate and if I'm going to have to use a screw to apply the tension then I might as well get the B model so that way its at least easier to get on and off more readily.

Does anyone have any other suggestions before I get rid of this thing?
    I may be wrong since my only Gen 5 is a 19x, but I thought all Gen 5 guns went to 1913/pic dimension slots?
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    I may be wrong since my only Gen 5 is a 19x, but I thought all Gen 5 guns went to 1913/pic dimension slots?
    Yes, this is correct. Gen 5 guns need the P attachment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old Thread/Good Info

I was a Surefire WML guy since the 1990s when I first stuck them on my MP5 and M1S90 shotgun and absolutely LOVED everything from the X200 onwards(previous SF pistol lights were "crew served") but when Streamlight came out with their 800 Lumen model I just couldn't justify an extra $100 per pistol to continue running Surefire(500 lumens) until they finally caught up with a 800 Lumen TLR1 HL BUT...

I bought the 1000 lumen X300 and the throw didn't seem any better than the 800 lumen Streamlight and just recently I got the hots for a patriot brown Streamlight TRL-1 HL and imagine my surprise when it showed up and said 1000 Lumens right there on the box.

I made the inevitable side by side comparison between my 1000 lumen lights and the Streamlight clearly has better throw than the Surefire much to my disappointment.

Now I won't say that I actually "hate" the cheap feeling controls on the TLR-1 series but I certainly like the high quality Surefire switch that can be bumped/pushed for a flash of momentary light better than the up/down cheesy feeling rocker lever of the Streamlight.

Why can't Surefire get their candela up there with Streamlight? The newer 1000 lumen Streamlights have 20,000 candela and I can slap one on a carbine and make hits on 200 meter gongs at night with ease while I am straining and squinting to do the same with my 1000 lumen X300 with 5000 less candela.

Something needs to give, either Streamlight needs to move their new improved switches from the TLR7 over to the TLR1 or Surefire needs to get their lens/reflector game up to Streamlight standards(never thought I'd say that).

Is anyone else torn between liking the controls and build quality of the Surefire enough to pay the money but needs/wants the longer throw of the Streamlight offerings?

Very frustrating to say the least but I've got to pick one because muscle memory is king when running WMLs effectively and I still find myself occasionally trying to get a quick splash of light out of my TLR1s by pushing the tip of the switch lever like a Surefire to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by Fröman View Post
    either Streamlight needs to move their new improved switches from the TLR7 over to the TLR1
    Are you aware of the TLR-9? Same switches as the 7, but an extended, two battery model with 1000 lumens. The size of the light is of course different from the TLR-1, but that is available right now from Streamlight.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Are you aware of the TLR-9? Same switches as the 7, but an extended, two battery model with 1000 lumens. The size of the light is of course different from the TLR-1, but that is available right now from Streamlight.
    Yeah, that's what prompted this post actually. I was hot to trot last night looking at a TLR-9 mounted on a G34 and then went to read up on it and the Streamlight sight says it only has 10,000 candela.

I was super disappointed to say the least. The reflector/lens assembly is the same as the TLR7/8 which handicaps everything about the light other than the form factor and barely hangs with my old X300U with 500 lumens as far as throw.

It sure is the right shape and size though, the slimmer profile and better switches(still not as good as SF though) but the range just isn't there.

Modlite's upcoming pistol light will probably be your answer for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by GearFondler; 12-25-2020 at 10:11 AM.

I seems that a dedicated rifle light and a dedicated pistol light is the answer.

For me I want/need a wider beam on a pistol and more throw on a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    I seems that a dedicated rifle light and a dedicated pistol light is the answer.

Agreed. The TLR7/9 is an awesome option for a holstered pistol. But if you need to throw light past 100 yards you're going to need a larger reflector.

The Streamlight HLX is rated for 27,000 candela and 1000 lumens.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post

Same here. I don't need more candela for my bedside pistol in my suburban neighborhood.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

User Tag List