Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: TCinVA on Ballistic Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I thought Rob’s post was a very good series of questions. I also thought Tom Givens and Tim Chandler gave great replies.

Overall, very informative.
    Agreed 100%.

I wasn’t shooting for flippancy, I was just adding the corollary that while lightning most always strikes during a storm, it doesn’t always. And, “lone wolf,” and unprecipitated violence happen in singular events as well, aside from what is predictable based on stats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    What I’d be curious about is what anyone does for pattern analysis of crime near their homes, where the work, etc. Is the anybody who keeps track of the crime data that can affect them on a daily basis? I pop on crime mapping dot com occasionally, but I’ve not done a ton of analysis or record keeping.
    Plenty of experience in the past with pattern analysis is Iraq- it’s not hard, just don’t know if it’s worth or if a member here has any TTP’s.
    I used this app while traveling in the RV to get an idea of local crime when I arrived in a new area.

RedZone Map by Zone Technologies Inc.https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/redz...991635461?mt=8

It is kind of buggy, so if there are better options, I’d be interested.

Heard the Petit story a couple of times and never hurts to hear it again. Also makes me think about a shotgun for HD. I live in a pretty affulent area and often can get pretty complacent because of such low crime but this is such a good reminder of really bad things can happen anywhere.

The evil that’s described here by TCinVA is very disturbing a good reminder that nobody is immune to this kind of violence as it was for this poor family.

Thanks for posting this.

Thanks Tom.

I like to go to this website- plug in my address and just see what’s going on around me. I like the ability to go to the Ft Worth PD website and plug in the police report number. It doesn’t give much info- just the basics.

Sorry to hijack a thread- maybe if there is interest in discussing how people look at the crime in their communities it could be split off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    That's much more handy as a clickable link:

https://www.crimemapping.com/

This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    What I’d be curious about is what anyone does for pattern analysis of crime near their homes, where the work, etc. Is the anybody who keeps track of the crime data that can affect them on a daily basis?
    I keep an eye on the beat history for the beat my house is in, plus I know several of the guys who work the beat. When it came to buying a house, I was more concerned with it. Now it's just keeping an eye for descriptions of robbery suspects, although now that pharmacies aren't getting hit like they used to there's not much of that anywhere near me either.

I'm very much a stakes over odds sort of person, and there's no trade off for me *not* to carry around my home area. My risk analysis is more for travel.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I keep an eye on the beat history for the beat my house is in, plus I know several of the guys who work the beat. When it came to buying a house, I was more concerned with it. Now it's just keeping an eye for descriptions of robbery suspects, although now that pharmacies aren't getting hit like they used to there's not much of that anywhere near me either.

I'm very much a stakes over odds sort of person, and there's no trade off for me *not* to carry around my home area. My risk analysis is more for travel.
    I went back and re-read all the posts since @rob_s's. Just to summarize, should what @BehindBlueI's, @Tom Givens, @Sherman A. House DDS, @TCinVA, et al said be the real takeaway? That you can't really rely on stats, or maybe even crime reports in your neighborhood, so you just always need to be ready for the black swan event?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I went back and re-read all the posts since @rob_s's. Just to summarize, should what @BehindBlueI's, @Tom Givens, @Sherman A. House DDS, @TCinVA, et al said be the real takeaway? That you can't really rely on stats, or maybe even crime reports in your neighborhood, so you just always need to be ready for the black swan event?
    I don’t think anyone is saying ignore stats altogether; but use them like you’d use a weather report...as a predictor of possibilities and as a way to organize your preps, but not as an absolute indicator, since odd events do happen without precursor or warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If only an agency near me used that site...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I entered a few Connecticut zip codes, New Haven 06511, Bridgeport 06601 and Hartford 06101 and got zilch.

A quick New Haven Google yields:
    For New Haven, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon.
    So what get reported or tracked by these websites can be rather misleading.

That was kinda my point, by this website there is no crime within 25 miles or so of me.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List