Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TCinVA on Ballistic Radio

The attack on the Petit family was truly horrific, a clear demonstration of the evil that exists in our society that anyone could be subjected to at any time. As upsetting as it is, using it as an example for those woefully unaware of basic safety precautions (like keeping the doors locked) is powerful medicine.

Shifting gears a bit and using the Petit incident as the basis of discussion - and beyond the fundamentals of home security (locked doors, general SA, etc.) - as much as I would prefer to engage these monsters with a SG or carbine, chances are the long gun is not going to be within reach when such an invasion takes place. If they came through the door unhindered and create an immediate confrontation, one must fight with what they have on them. While an AR or SG in the bedroom closet probably would not have changed a thing for the Petits (all other factors the same), a pistol carried by Mr. Petit very well could have.

My point is that where permitted by law, carrying a handgun 24/7 - including while in the home - is something everyone on this board knows is easy to do. But to the non-enthusiast it may seem odd, paranoid, overkill, etc. - "you walk around your house all day with a gun?"

Perhaps this is part of the challenge as well - normalizing the idea that one can be armed all the time but still go about their day in a 100% "normal" fashion. I suspect that for many overcoming the stigma of being armed can be an even larger challenge than learning the fundamentals of self defense. The Petit case should serve as a wake-up call to them.

Excellent interview @TCinVA

Considering the details of the brutality that can be visited upon a person is definitely difficult, so thank you informing the folks you teach about this reality.

I worked ICU and Emergency rooms in New Orleans for nearly 20 years. This pattern of behavior and brutality is far more prevalent than the majority of citizens realize and sadly doesn't generally get the media coverage it deserves.

I relocated to Knoxville TN in early 2006. Knoxville is certainly a less violent area statistically, but it matters little to those on the receiving end. We had an incident that happened in 2007 that did make the national news, and sadly, even has a wiki page. That was the Christian/Newsom murders. The torture these young people endured over a period of days is quite horrific. These monsters exist, as you said, around and among us all the time.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...stopher_Newsom

The overwhelming majority of folks on this forum, either through their vocation or their training exposure know these acts are a reality, accept that fact, and train accordingly. We are a minority unfortunately.

I've lawfully carried for around 30 years now and remained armed within my home. I couldn't imagine not doing so.

Thanks also for your advocacy for the shotgun. I have a Vang Comped Mossberg at my bedside I ran through a class at Gunsite over 20 years ago. I feel it's viability is as strong now as it was then.

Jamie

I’ve known Tim C for about 10 years now. I met him in an LAV AK class. He’s a straight shooter, both literally and figuratively. Our industry needs more articulate, cool hands on the mic, and Tim is one of them.

Good podcast too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    The attack on the Petit family was truly horrific, a clear demonstration of the evil that exists in our society that anyone could be subjected to at any time. As upsetting as it is, using it as an example for those woefully unaware of basic safety precautions (like keeping the doors locked) is powerful medicine.

Shifting gears a bit and using the Petit incident as the basis of discussion - and beyond the fundamentals of home security (locked doors, general SA, etc.) - as much as I would prefer to engage these monsters with a SG or carbine, chances are the long gun is not going to be within reach when such an invasion takes place. If they came through the door unhindered and create an immediate confrontation, one must fight with what they have on them. While an AR or SG in the bedroom closet probably would not have changed a thing for the Petits (all other factors the same), a pistol carried by Mr. Petit very well could have.

My point is that where permitted by law, carrying a handgun 24/7 - including while in the home - is something everyone on this board knows is easy to do. But to the non-enthusiast it may seem odd, paranoid, overkill, etc. - "you walk around your house all day with a gun?"

Perhaps this is part of the challenge as well - normalizing the idea that one can be armed all the time but still go about their day in a 100% "normal" fashion. I suspect that for many overcoming the stigma of being armed can be an even larger challenge than learning the fundamentals of self defense. The Petit case should serve as a wake-up call to them.
    Totally agree. And, yes I do "walk around the house with a gun". As soon as the morning rituals not conducive to carrying arms are completed, I put on a gun. In the house, it's usually a J-frame Centennial in a pocket and if I go somewhere, it's usually a Glock 19. Being armed is a habit, just like having smoke alarms, fire extinguishers, seat belts and air bags are a habit. Build the habits!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

TCinVA on Ballistic Radio

What Wayne said! When I’m milling about the home property, this is my minimal kit. If I leave, I add a full size pistol and a spare mag. Incidentally and appropriately, my minimal kit is in TLG colors.

Last edited by Sherman A. House DDS; 08-03-2018 at 12:22 PM.

First, I want to say that this is one of the better BR episodes I've listened to, particularly because there's been little JJ talking and few (although never no) leading questions from the host(s), and the guest was well-spoken and offered relevant information.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    the need to use lethal force is actually extremely common...far moreso than they realize unless they've done the deep dive into the subject that many of us have done over the years.
    Having done quite a few deep dives myself, and having arrived at quite the opposite conclusion, I'm interested to hear how you've arrived at this.

I'm sure many will think this is disingenuous trolling on my part, but I assure you it's a legitimate question.

Just taking a quick Google, for example...

https://www.creditdonkey.com/home-in...tatistics.html
    1 million home burglaries with occupants present, and 27% (270,000) of those becoming the victim of a violent crime

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...lds-in-the-us/
    126,220,000 households in the US, so .80% of homes are burglarized while occupied, and 0.2% of homes burglarized where the resident becomes a victim, or 270,000 homes total

https://www.quora.com/How-many-peopl...ons-every-year
    Simple assault (15% or 155,400)
    Robbery (7% 72,520)
    leaving 42,000 unaccounted for, but "rape (3% 31,080)", so really 11,000 remaining from which some number are presumably killed

I readily admit that this number was higher than even I would have expected, but not terribly much so, and certainly not "extremely common".

There is also, from this data, no real way of differentiating "normal folks" from those that are living risky lifestyles involving other illegal activity such as one of the occupants or visitors being involved in drugs or gangs, for example.

it *is* however far more victims than drowning in pools (a common point of comparison in the pro-gun argument)
    https://www.edgarsnyder.com/swimming...tatistics.html
    "3,536 people died from drowning annually from 2005 to 2014"
    of course this is death, and I don't have the statistic for number of home invasions that resulted in the death of the occupants, only the 11,000 victims from which we don't know their victimhood

As additional reference for comparison...
    https://www.asecurelife.com/home-accident-statistics/
    Falls are the leading cause of home injury deaths with nearly 6,000 lives claimed per year
    The second leading cause of home injury death is poisoning. It leads to nearly 5,000 fatalities each year.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    First, I want to say that this is one of the better BR episodes I've listened to, particularly because there's been little JJ talking and few (although never no) leading questions from the host(s), and the guest was well-spoken and offered relevant information.

Having done quite a few deep dives myself, and having arrived at quite the opposite conclusion, I'm interested to hear how you've arrived at this.

I'm sure many will think this is disingenuous trolling on my part, but I assure you it's a legitimate question.

Just taking a quick Google, for example...

https://www.creditdonkey.com/home-in...tatistics.html
    1 million home burglaries with occupants present, and 27% (270,000) of those becoming the victim of a violent crime

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...lds-in-the-us/
    126,220,000 households in the US, so .80% of homes are burglarized while occupied, and 0.2% of homes burglarized where the resident becomes a victim, or 270,000 homes total

https://www.quora.com/How-many-peopl...ons-every-year
    Simple assault (15% or 155,400)
    Robbery (7% 72,520)
    leaving 42,000 unaccounted for, but "rape (3% 31,080)", so really 11,000 remaining from which some number are presumably killed

I readily admit that this number was higher than even I would have expected, but not terribly much so, and certainly not "extremely common".

There is also, from this data, no real way of differentiating "normal folks" from those that are living risky lifestyles involving other illegal activity such as one of the occupants or visitors being involved in drugs or gangs, for example.

it *is* however far more victims than drowning in pools (a common point of comparison in the pro-gun argument)
    https://www.edgarsnyder.com/swimming...tatistics.html
    "3,536 people died from drowning annually from 2005 to 2014"
    of course this is death, and I don't have the statistic for number of home invasions that resulted in the death of the occupants, only the 11,000 victims from which we don't know their victimhood

As additional reference for comparison...
    https://www.asecurelife.com/home-accident-statistics/
    Falls are the leading cause of home injury deaths with nearly 6,000 lives claimed per year
    The second leading cause of home injury death is poisoning. It leads to nearly 5,000 fatalities each year.
    Look at the numbers of violent crime (assault, murder, burglary, rape, robbery, kidnapping) annually, versus the population.

Also, read Tom Givens’ book, “Fighting Smarter.” He explains the dilemma you’re facing in great detail there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Look at the numbers of violent crime (assault, murder, burglary, rape, robbery, kidnapping) annually, versus the population.
    I have.

And then I've filtered for age, race, and delved into the "victims" and their record of participation in crime themselves. For example, the newspaper in Baltimore was (is?) publishing the name of every murder "victim" daily. I started down the list and spent several hours looking up their names in the clerk of courts and was hard pressed to find anyone without an extensive arrest record.

Also, read Tom Givens’ book, “Fighting Smarter.” He explains the dilemma you’re facing in great detail there.
    I'll pick up a copy. Hopefully it's not just a "stakesdds" type of thing but I'll assume that it's not.
    ETA:
    having a hard time finding a source for the book. If anyone can post a link that would be great. Amazon says unavailable.
    Last edited by rob_s; 08-03-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Mr. Givens' post from TPI:

The publisher who prints my book, Fighting Smarter, has decided to get out of the retail book selling business. They will still print the book, but not sell them individually.

Autographed copies of the book will still be available by sending a personal check, company check, or money order for $38.95, plus $5.00 shipping, to:

Rangemaster
    1808 James L Redman Parkway, Suite 226
    Plant City, FL, 33563
    Last edited by Guerrero; 08-03-2018 at 01:09 PM.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Mr. Givens' post from TPI:
    thanks. I'll have to try and find a check.

User Tag List