Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TCinVA on Ballistic Radio

Hammertime

TCinVA on Ballistic Radio

Really good interview. I sent the below message to family and friends:

Everyone should listen to this between 11:00-22:30 before deciding if or how they would defend themselves or their family. Tim Chandler gives an extremely chilling description of man's potential for depravity, and what happens when an innocent falls into that web. One could also read "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote for a similar description. Not easy, but these folks are amongst us.

Thank you @TCinVA for your horrifying, but cogent account. It is a real wake up call. I was really glad JJ didn't interrupt you during that account.

http://ballisticradio.com/2018/07/23...uly-15th-2018/

Or find it on iTunes.

I don’t keep most of the episodes after I’ve listened to them once but this one is being saved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Loved this episode, a lot of good nuggets in it, in addition to the harrowing description of the Petit murders. Didn't realize who @TCinVA was before this. Now I know

...and knowing is half the battle.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

immediate and remorselessly violent counter assault
    Well said, TC. Literally words to live by.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Excellent. Can’t wait to give this one a listen.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Thanks, fellas!

One of the difficult aspects of training people is getting them to buy into the reality that the need to use lethal force is actually extremely common...far moreso than they realize unless they've done the deep dive into the subject that many of us have done over the years.

In every class I teach I think it's crucial to spend some time talking about the lies in statistics and giving them a better picture of the prevalence and real risks of violent crime...and that case is a particularly visceral way to connect them with the resolve to make sure it doesn't happen to their loved ones.

I hate talking about it...but I hate the idea of more innocents being victims like that even more.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Another great episode! I'll be saving this one to forward on when people have questions about the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Thanks, fellas!

One of the difficult aspects of training people is getting them to buy into the reality that the need to use lethal force is actually extremely common...far moreso than they realize unless they've done the deep dive into the subject that many of us have done over the years.

In every class I teach I think it's crucial to spend some time talking about the lies in statistics and giving them a better picture of the prevalence and real risks of violent crime...and that case is a particularly visceral way to connect them with the resolve to make sure it doesn't happen to their loved ones.

I hate talking about it...but I hate the idea of more innocents being victims like that even more.
    Listened yesterday on a roadtrip. Would like to hear more from you on the topic in a longer format and other venue, like CCR or Seeklander's show.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    There is also the issue of humans being really bad at intuitively extrapolating statistics of low probability events over a long time horizon. It's easy to think that because you live in a nice area and you don't do stupid things, with stupid people, in stupid places, that your risk is low.

I googled for cities with the lowest violent crime rates, and taking them at face value, the top city in a business insider article showed Naperville as having a violent crime rate of 0.63% for 2017. Let's round that down to 0.6% to simplify the math.

That means in any given year, you have a 99.4% chance to not be a victim. Over a 5 year period, that is 99.4% ^ 5 = 97% of not being a victim, and by extension a 3% chance you were victimized at least once. That may not seem so bad.

However, that percentage increases to nearly 6% over a 10 year period, and 14% by year 25. If you really want to be optimistic and expect to live longer, that percentage will only go up. Also, if you have a family of 4 and care about their well being as well, over a 25 year time horizon it's about 50/50 that there is at least one violent crime committed against someone in the family. Those odds get really bad, really fast, as you increase the annual crime rate.

Obviously there is also the issue that those odds are probably low due to things such as how the statistics might be tracked/manipulated (the lies mentioned by TC), the reality that even if one lives in a safe city, they may on occasion travel to or through a higher-crime area, and the fact that not everyone can live in a low-crime area.

@TCinVA I listened to the podcast on the way home from my parent's tonight, which ironically is located 1 mile from the Petit home. As someone who was on the ground that day as a FF your account of the incident was spot on and anchored with facts. That incident is the one that changed my mind and showed me what the human condition is truly capable of. I'm glad someone is out there training folks and preparing them mentally for what they cannot even imagine or picture. I hope to be down your way in the near future to take a shotgun course as it's almost a foreign weapon to me.

Joe
    Last edited by Larry Sellers; 08-02-2018 at 07:24 PM.
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

User Tag List