Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: TCinVA on Ballistic Radio

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I went back and re-read all the posts since @rob_s's. Just to summarize, should what @BehindBlueI's, @Tom Givens, @Sherman A. House DDS, @TCinVA, et al said be the real takeaway? That you can't really rely on stats, or maybe even crime reports in your neighborhood, so you just always need to be ready for the black swan event?
    I'd like to say always, but I also like to go to water parks. Could I be screwed because I'm unarmed and on a water slide when things kick off? Sure. But I accept the risk. I'll travel to Paris. I won't travel to Kabul. I think stats just help you decide where you want to draw the line when the question is "I want to do this, but is it worth it?"

For normal day-to-day, I want to know the patterns. My neighborhood crime rate could be high, but if it's the work of a serial rapist targeting hispanic females, that doesn't affect my day-to-day. If it's a crew carjacking people in 4x4 trucks, then I know to look out for a specific threat. The more I know, the easier my threat scan is.

In short, I want the intel for specific and credible threats, but it doesn't affect what I do day-to-day.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    No shortage of reported info for my little corner of ABQ:

Attachment 28955

That's just for the last 7 days.
    So- might be a slight alcohol problem in your area
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I went back and re-read all the posts since @rob_s's. Just to summarize, should what @BehindBlueI's, @Tom Givens, @Sherman A. House DDS, @TCinVA, et al said be the real takeaway? That you can't really rely on stats, or maybe even crime reports in your neighborhood, so you just always need to be ready for the black swan event?
    My intentions were to communicate:

- Crime stats that are commonly bandied about are woefully incomplete
    - The need to use a firearm in personal defense is not a rare event
    - Attempts at violent crime in and around the home especially are more common than most realize

I don't consider the need to use a firearm to prevent a serious act of violence against yourself or a loved one to be a black swan event. It's not rare or unpredictable, especially given how thoroughly broken our criminal justice system is. Some people are more at risk than others. If, for instance, you live within walking distance of public transportation in a larger urban area, you are at greater risk than I am in my area.

...of course in my area there have been half a dozen home invasions and a double murder of a store owner and his wife within 1.5 miles of where I'm sitting right now. So...

The great irony is that if you assume it will happen to you one day and you make reasonable preparations (like training, taking steps to harden your home, etc) you make it less likely that you will be selected as a victim.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 08-10-2018 at 06:55 PM.
    3/15/2016

@TCinVA: thanks, I think I'm clear now.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Great interview TC. Great thread!!

The majority of those are for "Disturbing the peace -- suspicious person/vehicle" which is more of a general description of ABQ than anything else. Where Austin has "Keep Austin Weird", ABQ has "Albuquerque, Sketchy As Fuck".
    ABQ took good care of us. Sketchy AF. But very entertaining. Lot of guys were sad when the snows let up and our plane could finally make in to pick us up..........
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I just listened to the episode.

I've always liked Ballistic Radio, but was surprised by how much more I liked this episode. Listening more, it seemed like TC was doing a lot more talking than JJRG, and it was surprising how much more information seemed to get across.

@TCinVA at the end of the episode you mentioned that the best thing's to adapt a currently owned hunting shotgun into a good HD shotgun were a shorter stock, a buckshot that patterns well, and training. In general, what else would you recommend? For example what does your HD shotgun look like?

Also, any other tips you have for hardening the home would be welcome. It was a really good interview.

-Cory

I'm not answering for TC, but he's a busy dude and I have a memory that refuses to forget trivia. Here is a recent post by him in the 1301 thread:
    Mods here are... helpful?

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    That was kinda my point, by this website there is no crime within 25 miles or so of me.
    I’m currerently in a hotel, looking out the window at the gateway arch in St Louis. No crime data on the map where I am, either, and Ferguson is something like 15 miles northwest of me.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I’m currerently in a hotel, looking out the window at the gateway arch in St Louis. No crime data on the map where I am, either, and Ferguson is something like 15 miles northwest of me.
    UCR reports...LOL.

This past weekend in St. Louis area...

https://www.facebook.com/law.enforce...0596747215244/

User Tag List