Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: LAPD Hostage Killing 06/16/2018

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    We just had an FBI regional SWAT team kill the hostage during a rescue at a stash house of illegals. Made the local news for a day or two and it wasn't even a blip on the national news.
    You're right. First I've heard of it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Random thought, but does LAPD actually issue or allow patrol rifles? I could be totally off base on this, but I was under the impression that their regular patrol guys got shotguns and maybe some of the supervisors got rifles at best.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Also note that she had a walker. Could she have done more to put herself out of the danger zone? Sure...but this is an older woman who apparently has mobility issues.

The officers were handed a shit sandwich on this one...but I have to think that more aggressive action when a dude with a knife is moving in the direction of an innocent with a walker who is backed against a wall would have been the appropriate call.

Then again, society as a whole doesn't give a shit about teaching officers the appropriate times to escalate force in the interest of preventing an outcome like this, so...
    Good analysis. In today's political climate there is a hesitancy to escalate force appropriately until it is too late. Then the moment is past and he has a knife to an innocent's throat.

I thought the officer whose body cam footage they played first (the driver who drew his pistol to cover his passenger who drew the LL shotgun) did a great job by closing the distance with the bad guy as soon as he saw the bad guy go for the woman. His camera footage showed he advanced to about three yards and placed himself in a great position to engage the bad guy's exposed head. I have no knowledge about which officer's bullets went where but this officer set himself up for as close to a perfect shot as he could get in this situation.

I agree with the previous posters regarding sympathetic fire. The positions of the bad guy and the hostage in relation to the positions of the other officers made for the shots available to those other officers more difficult. It's possible that they fired only because the first officer fired.
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 08-01-2018 at 11:28 AM. Reason: added more thoughts
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I sent a video of this incident out to all of our people and reminded them that they have rifles, and I included a cautionary note on contagion fire.

On the positive side, I pointed out that officers didn't set themselves up in a cross fire, and one of the guys made a transition from LL to pistol when the situation changed.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    We just had an FBI regional SWAT team kill the hostage during a rescue at a stash house of illegals. Made the local news for a day or two and it wasn't even a blip on the national news.
    Are you talking about the one in January? If so, that was a little different....the kidnapping victim grabbed an agent's rifle during entry and was pulling on it when he got shot.

I fully acknowledge there could have been another more recently that I'm not aware of.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    Random thought, but does LAPD actually issue or allow patrol rifles? I could be totally off base on this, but I was under the impression that their regular patrol guys got shotguns and maybe some of the supervisors got rifles at best.
    There are hundreds of Colt patrol rifles in play at LAPD.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

We had designated shooters on SWAT IAT for as long as I can remember. One or maybe two Officers are told they are the shooters. Everyone else knows they don’t shoot. We’ve removed a probationary Officer for not following this order.

Trying to do this on a Patrol IAT is a goatfuck. All the new Officers think they should shoot too. If the Sergeant on scene is turned on and usually a former SWAT guy it gets enforced. If he’s the newly promoted Sergeant you get the WTF look for telling him it needs to be set.

Frankly our problem is too many Patrol rifles. Everyone wants to deploy a rifle and they don’t like getting told to put it away and get a beanbag. It’s a better issue than not having them but it’s a chore telling guys I don’t need another rifle I need someone hands free to handcuff.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    What does that actually mean in terms of prevalence in cruisers though? Hundreds of patrol rifles for an organization the size of LAPD doesn't sound like very much to me.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Outside of Metro who has them? Patrol supervisors used to have them, but have they issued them to patrol officers?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List