Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: LAPD Hostage Killing 06/16/2018

Some days a part of me regrets not getting into LE work just because I can actually shoot and enjoy it, and running a police range sounds like a fun way to make some cash.

Shortly after I look at all the other parts of the job and I'm somewhat glad I didn't, but for a moment that regret is there
    Last edited by Peally; 08-01-2018 at 02:55 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    “Free day off to any officer who clears a perfect Dot Torture on this months quals”. Even the grumpy and uncaring like days off, no? While I’ve never served a day in a LE uniform, I’d guess those memos in the LAPD probably say “Free Day Off for anyone who takes racial bias training”.
    Funny enough, a warrant officer at Quantico's USMC Weapon's Training Battalion told me one time that the USMC's affection for marksmanship started in the early 1900s, when leadership took stock that we were terrible shots and offered incentive pay for any Marine qualifying at expert level or above.

So I guess that's where funding could play a part...if you made it incentivized over a course of decades so that the culture generally valued shooting. Several old practices incentivized it......honor grads at various schools being presented with custom-built sidearms, special pay, etc.

I got Distinguished Expert at FLETC along with another P-F.com member in my class, and we got an atta'boy letter. That doesn't incentivize good performance for people who aren't gunning for it to begin with.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Its a mindset that I have never been familiar with and these newer officers have it bad.
    A friend of mine's son just got hired on a Sheriff's department not too far away.

His father and I were discussing LE hiring these days and his son said "They're looking for a very different kind of person these days, dad." His father retired as a police officer.

"Yeah..." I said "Except the bad guys haven't gotten any less violent or willing to kill someone in a uniform or an innocent member of the public. Violent crime is as prevalent today as it has ever been. If you believe that there aren't shitloads of people who would be perfectly happy to bash your fucking skull in on the side of some lonely road the second they think they can get away with it, keep fucking dreaming."
    3/15/2016

I know there were three officers firing at the same time, but it struck me that the rate of fire seemed high, to be shooting at a relatively small target. Especially with so much at stake.

Quote Originally Posted by mongooseman View Post
    I know there were three officers firing at the same time, but it struck me that the rate of fire seemed high, to be shooting at a relatively small target. Especially with so much at stake.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

"Yeah..." I said "Except the bad guys are more violent and willing to kill someone in a uniform or an innocent member of the public...."

There ya go: Fixed it for you.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    and running a police range sounds like a fun way to make some cash.
    Trying to make thoroughly uninterested people behave responsibly with a firearm...especially when it's nigh unto impossible to discipline some of them because of "diversity" concerns...is not really a lot of fun.

To give you some flavor of how it works, I was present at Blackwater when they had a contract to do training for ship defense for the naval base nearby. At lunch I had a chat with one of their instructors, a NSWG dude who was picking up money teaching at BW during some down time.

He had to use very specific terminology (high center mass, not "head") and describe things like a proper shooting stance in a way that wouldn't be potentially "offensive" to female sailors. (Legs shoulder width apart, for example, could be construed as sexist)

Running a range for a government agencies and contracts has rarely been described as "fun" by anyone I know of who did it. YMMV.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 08-01-2018 at 03:03 PM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Sounded like controlled aimed fire to you?

^^^I would never have believed, (back in the day), that "political correctness" could and would become the insidious cancer that has devoured many a fine department and agency if I hadn't seen and experienced it myself.

Common sense was the baby thrown out with the bath water.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Maybe 1 cop should let the others know if somebody has to shoot, that they will be the shooter. As I understand in the knife hostage situation, the perp started killing her so they had to act.....with the hope of saving her.

People are moving a lot in this situation. A lot more than people think and a lot more than is often duplicated with a paper hostage target. A inch makes all the diference.

It is an extreme high level of skill to hit the upper A zone on a moving target from even 5 yards away.

As for a rifle, at this distance, would not be my choice. Would limit perifphial, mobility, transitions.

I would expect the accuracy capability of a rifle and handgun at 7 yards to be neutral.
    A71593

User Tag List