Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: LAPD Hostage Killing 06/16/2018

S Reitz, like many of us old heads, is probably "let down" by his department's abandoning of the training based on lessons learned. The current managers at many law enforcement agencies discount these standards as "the old days". Instead they adopted new "minimum standards" so everyone "qualified". Like a participation trophy.

But Reitz may be hesitant to poor mouth the department to the public as the troops are trying to do the best they can with little backing from management. There are very few leaders left in many mid - large agencies. Politics has corrupted many a department. Job assignments and promotions are based on perceived loyalty vs. ability. My opinion based on observation.

As S. Reitz stated - "Students cannot train to a minimal standard and expect positive results when an entirely different and significantly upgraded standard is required." However that is the expectation from their bosses.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Fair enough, perhaps I spoke out of turn.

My apologies.
    A lot of outfits have tried to capitalize on bad situations with no real experience or expertise, so in most cases you would have been right. I just wanted to set the record straight that this wasn’t one of those cases. I can guarantee the underlying motivation of ITTS’s statement was really to get working cops up to his place to work hard at things like the hostage rack that is, like real life, very difficult and hard to negotiate. Better to know what your capabilities are and be confident and tested than to find out the hard way that it ain’t like tv and movies.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    What a shameless business plug that was for them...
    In his book and other interactions with the media long before this exact event, Reitz has made this point before.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    I have zero issue with his commentary. Have been a student of his several times and have hunted down his thoughts on various incidents previously. His reference to the consulate event has significant foundation based on training with him. He's right.

I ll make this simple as I generally stayed out of this thread for a reason. This kind of stuff is an abject failure of leadership on multiple levels. The first starts at the political and administrative levels of government and police agencies as an absolute failure to train. Lowering standards and convincing everyone that “minimums” are perfectly acceptable for the demands of the job is criminal level incompetence-period. The stresses and demands on today’s cops are over the top with near perfection level expectations of utopian conflict resolution minus the needed training for those demands. The next failure is personal leadership in figuring out that the no cop left behind training standards is unacceptable at a personnel level and fixing it on your own. Both parties share in the blame. One for simply failing at the most basic aspect of command and leadership and the other for believing that those folks who set agency training standards have your best interest at heart.

I would often get off graveyard shift, drive an hour to ITTS, pay to train all day and go back to work. It sucked, it was not how it should be, but my “minimum standards” differed greatly from my bosses and co workers.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I would often get off graveyard shift, drive an hour to ITTS, pay to train all day and go back to work. It sucked, it was not how it should be, but my “minimum standards” differed greatly from my bosses and co workers.
    I'm a little slow, so it took me a long to time understand that most people are perfectly OK with being mediocre, or even incompetent, at what they do. A friend of mine joked that anything over 70% was wasted effort, but that's the unspoken credo of a lot of people.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    A friend of mine joked that anything over 70% was wasted effort, but that's the unspoken credo of a lot of people.
    I think 70% is being generous for some folks, and that problem mentality is everywhere. I’ve encountered those folks in every job I’ve been at: clock in, do the minimum, clock out. I’ve called those folks out (not individually, but as a group) at company feedback meetings and you can watch the problem people roll their eyes and start getting defensive. “It’s just a job” mentality also tends to intersect with “I deserve more” which is laughable and insulting to me.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

User Tag List