Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cowboy Action Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I've recently become attracted to single action revolvers and CAS in general. The costume and alias requirements will likely keep me away from SASS, and apparently NCOWS. It's their game and their rules, so I'm cool with that. The last thing I want to do is take away elements of the game that they enjoy. It's just that my personality is such that any sort of "look at me" behavior (and costumes and aliases are very much that for me) isn't something I'm likely to engage in or enjoy.

If you meet any local people messing with the older stuff, you may find some people shooting for fun, but not doing the formal matches. Shooting old original Colts, Winchesters, Sharps and other classic stuff or repros of same has a lot of fans. I love the history and the guns, just havent gotten very interested in the way the CAS stuff is done. A few CAS shoots without going all in may be worthwhile just to meet people and mess with the guns some.

I stumbled on a group of mostly older guys out in the hills shooting rimfire in Az in the late 80s, I think they got together once a week, it was an informal thing out on National Forest land. I wouldnt be surprised if there were people meeting up shooting old guns. The net may be a way to connect. There were a few of us around Flag and Sedona years ago shooting old guns. It was just chance meeting people in gun shops, or over gun deals or friends of friends.

This somewhat reminds me of my motorcycle days. I didnt care to hang around with many of the people that seemed to be drawn to Harleys. I didnt drink, didnt like hanging out in bars, just loved old bikes and loved to ride. A few people of similar inclination hung together and we did a lot of great rides and camp trips. We had some good times at the Baskin Robbins also.
    Last edited by Malamute; 08-01-2018 at 12:11 PM.

I shot SASS for several years a good while back, 4 digit SASS badge, single digit club badge.
    I was unusual to have more money in my guns than my clothes. But I did not mind the fact of dressing for the game, I am not one of the "I like single actions but I am not wearing a cowboy hat." brigade.
    I shot duelist (one revolver in hand at the time, shooting onehanded) and did pretty well.
    In those days a "clean sweep" was not common, one or none a day was usual. Now with close targets and light loads, you probably can't win with a miss.

But targets got closer and bigger, to the point that they are closer than most other sports consider safe for steel. I once took a hell of a lick in the leg, left a knot and bruise that was not completely cleared up by the next month's match.

I think the last straw for me was the competitors starting with their hands on their gun butts. I commented that if I saw somebody doing that in Tombstone, I would backshoot him at the earliest opportunity. That got me a dirty look and the schooling that it was not prohibited in the rules or the CoF. Hmph. But it ain't Cowboy.

I understand that NCOWS is much more strict on authenticity of dress, guns, and gear, almost to the level of reenactors.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I've recently become attracted to single action revolvers and CAS in general. The costume and alias requirements will likely keep me away from SASS, and apparently NCOWS. It's their game and their rules, so I'm cool with that. The last thing I want to do is take away elements of the game that they enjoy. It's just that my personality is such that any sort of "look at me" behavior (and costumes and aliases are very much that for me) isn't something I'm likely to engage in or enjoy.
    When John Shaw started shooting CAS I thought about giving it a try, but I just can't dress up like a cowboy when I'm the farthest thing from it. Plus the "clothes or guns" questions is no contest in real life. Doesn't matter if it's a cowboy hat or a Craig Douglas suit, guns always win.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Well, you don't HAVE to dress as a cowboy. There are a lot of 19th century characters to emulate. An old dark suit with a few alterations to make it even more old fashioned, and you can be a banker. Being an engineer, I considered striped overalls and cap to go as a locomotive driver. It doesn't have to be elaborate or expensive.
    No baseball caps allowed, except there was the group of friends who dressed in 1891 team uniforms.
    Not to mention the chap in braids, breechclout and leggings, you betchum.
    It is fun. You remember fun, don't you?
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 08-02-2018 at 06:29 PM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    A few CAS shoots without going all in may be worthwhile just to meet people and mess with the guns some.
    This.

Today I accidentally stumbled into a SASS event, first one I'd seen in person. There was a scheduling snafu, I was scheduled for RSO duty all day at the gun club, but someone scheduled the event for 9am-noon and didn't get it on the general gun club calendar. So I had three hours to kill til we opened for regular shooting, and I decided to stay and watch.

Turned out I knew a couple of the shooters, and they promptly lent me guns and let me try a few times. Strange, because I don't really shoot any of their platforms so there was no muscle memory. Did OK anyway, being ambidextrous and able to shoot a pistol in each hand helped. So did the fact that the guy who loaned me the gear is a past regional champ and he has some really nice toys with slicked up actions.

Recoil was a non-factor, these were powder puff loads. The Uberti 1873 was a 44-40, the Ruger SASS New Vaqueros were .357 Magnum but shooting 38 Colt wadcutter reloads, the shotgun was a Browning side-by-side and no idea what he handed me for that one but it was a soft shooter. Distances were short, 10-15 yards, the targets were not huge but it was hard to miss unless really pushing the speed. The popper that when hit tossed a potato into the air on two of the runs, now that was an odd touch but only a couple of folks missed that one.

I've got to admit it was fun, mostly because this particular group of maybe 15 people is exceptionally friendly and they were all really helpful and encouraging... plus yeah, new guns to try out. But none of this gear fits with my personal shooting needs, I already have too many guns, and no way am i dropping a bunch of cash and then dressing up like that. I figure I shot about $6k of guns and gear today, maybe more depending on who did the gunsmithing and fancy leather work.
    Last edited by Salamander; 08-25-2018 at 11:41 PM.

User Tag List