Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock trigger manipulation with sights in motion

I started my session today with one group at 25 yards, using the same technique where I did not try to stabilize the dot before pressing, but rather let the dot float and did my aiming as I pressed the trigger. Probably a shot every two seconds cadence.

Name:  D68E1BEB-E564-4C75-9B3C-42B41B5BDB0B.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  69.9 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I started my session today with one group at 25 yards, using the same technique where I did not try to stabilize the dot before pressing, but rather let the dot float and did my aiming as I pressed the trigger. Probably a shot every two seconds cadence.

Name:  D68E1BEB-E564-4C75-9B3C-42B41B5BDB0B.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  69.9 KB
    Really nice pic to quote.

Re this "horizontal" thing, are we referring to the P.E. Kelly "trick" with a carbine where he brought his sight onto the target laterally from the side and broke the shot as he paused on target vs trying to hold it there and steady it? If I'm remembering that right. That was quite remarkable. If I'm remembering correctly it would be cool to find that thread and cross post it here. I'll go see if I can find it and see if my memory is holding.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Really nice pic to quote.

Re this "horizontal" thing, are we referring to the P.E. Kelly "trick" with a carbine where he brought his sight onto the target laterally from the side and broke the shot as he paused on target vs trying to hold it there and steady it? If I'm remembering that right. That was quite remarkable. If I'm remembering correctly it would be cool to find that thread and cross post it here. I'll go see if I can find it and see if my memory is holding.

Sort of this technique of "approach shooting"?

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Shooting-Info

“Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I think internalizing what sufficient aim looks like in the sights or dot, and the practice of firing the shot with the gun in a degree of motion, is a pretty essential thing in shooting that can apply in lots of places. It can help people defeat anticipation in its various forms. It can help spread challenging trigger work over time and make it easier.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

@GJM for multiple shots on a static target what do you see as you are rolling the trigger? Is the dot moving down to the target, up to the target, around the target, or something else?

As a follow up question have you tried this with iron sights? If so, do you see the same thing you see with the dot or something different?

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    @GJM for multiple shots on a static target what do you see as you are rolling the trigger? Is the dot moving down to the target, up to the target, around the target, or something else?

As a follow up question have you tried this with iron sights? If so, do you see the same thing you see with the dot or something different?
    On one target with multiple shots, I am pressing the trigger as the dot comes down out of recoil. I believe Gabe teaches a similar drill with iron sights.

@Mr_White

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    On one target with multiple shots, I am pressing the trigger as the dot comes down out of recoil. I believe Gabe teaches a similar drill with iron sights.

@Mr_White
    See, this is where I begin to have trouble in balancing speed and accuracy. My OCD brain has a really hard time letting go of pure precision. When I push for speed, I have a hard time reading the sights at speed. Maybe some of that is recoil management (or lack thereof) and maybe some is inexperience.

It sounds like my active conscious focus needs to be on my sights, but I can’t hinge on perfection. It sounds like I need to subconsciously perfect on the trigger, but actively focusing on it causes things to fall apart. How does one achieve the appropriate balance?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    See, this is where I begin to have trouble in balancing speed and accuracy. My OCD brain has a really hard time letting go of pure precision. When I push for speed, I have a hard time reading the sights at speed. Maybe some of that is recoil management (or lack thereof) and maybe some is inexperience.

It sounds like my active conscious focus needs to be on my sights, but I can’t hinge on perfection. It sounds like I need to subconsciously perfect on the trigger, but actively focusing on it causes things to fall apart. How does one achieve the appropriate balance?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    Learning to let go and trust your trigger press is a big thing when the speed picks up. I was observing this Sunday having some fun with a Hollywood scenario of the hostage rescue shot. D1's from concealment and then from the ready. D1's were in the range of 1.73-2.0 for hits and from Ready .73-0.9. This is pretty quick action for me. I was seeing the old "flash" sight picture but I had to trust the index and the press for those times.

I think maybe play around with shooting faster than you can "read" your sights the way your OCD is wanting you to read them. Maybe just work on it with singles from the draw (D1) or ready (R1) to get the hang of just seeing what you need to see to get a hit vs seeing more than is really needed?

Attachment 28638
    Last edited by JHC; 08-01-2018 at 07:58 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Re this "horizontal" thing, are we referring to the P.E. Kelly "trick" with a carbine where he brought his sight onto the target laterally from the side and broke the shot as he paused on target vs trying to hold it there and steady it?
    I've used that method for rifle shooting but never with handguns.

Very interesting thread.

I did this video this morning, demonstrating how I am pressing the trigger with dot in motion, so shot breaks just as it reaches the plate. Eight inch steel at 25 yards, so it is a shot that requires aiming and trigger.

User Tag List