About 55 shooters at Texas Tactical at Cedar Ridge, San Antonio.

The gun - an old Olympic Arms AR-15 from the late 90's. An Eotech on a goose neck gadget that fits on the carry handle to bring the sight down to iron level. Browning and Magpul mags. WWB 223. Glock 17 for transitions. The guns ran fine. I didn't clean them before. Lazy, so I gave them a shot of Slip2000 EWL.

So - out of the 55 shooters I am first on points down - only 3!! However, my times suck as I am a deliberate, slow old fart. My squad did pretty well with several in single digits. Some are very fast! Not me! The LEOs in our group shoot very well. One is always on top of the performers.

Some folks shoot crappy with about 25 shooters over 20 points down on a fairly simple set of stages. Some in the 50's and 60's. So fast so they can get tactically acceptable hits in the real world on the street?

Can competition hurt you on the street? Here's one. The stage is where you fire at a bunch of targets from a barricade. Then you go down a path between barricades. You have to tac reload to an empty mag. The idea is you have one round in the chamber and then you have a malfunction (no rounds simulates it). You transition to your hand gun for two targets. You reload your rifle with your retained mag and continue on.

We are waiting for a squad to finish and watch this. One studly muffin decides to charge down the path so quick during the tac reload part that he slips and almost goes head first through the barricade. His mags go flying (at least I think I saw that). He retrieves such and decides to accelerate and almost goes flop twice more. Pretty damn scary.

That might get you killed on the street if you smash your head and spew magazines into the void?

One of our P-F members was in this other squad and might correct me.

1. I will never shoot another carbine match and only talk about this one till I die (just kidding).
2. At my age, I will continue to meander through the stage and get a good sight picture and shoot deliberately (cognitive dissonance as I can't win!).
3. How come when I break open a twenty round package of 223, there's only 17 in two of the packages! Bah.

Mandatory Meyer AAR. I couldn't go to the Mexican restaurant with the gang as I had an errand. However, after the errand I made up for it by going to B-Daddy's BBQ for a brisket sandwich on Jalapeno corn bread with a side of Jalapeno creamed corn. I know some of our p-f LEO members are familiar with the place having run into them there.

All in all - a fine match on a hot day.