Thread: Slightly blemished case

Site Supporter

Slightly blemished case

Yesterday I just happened to notice a bit of powder in a student's ammo tray while he was loading mags. I had him unload and found this. It's a Federal aluminum 115gr. It was not damaged in the box or after he opened it. That's how it came from the factory.

Best guesses on the results if he had fired it?

Name:  PhotoGrid_1532977511287.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  24.6 KB

Nice catch, looks like something was missed on that one LOL good thing it wasn't fired could have caused a squib for sure...

Site Supporter
    I also caught a round with the bullet set too deeply, which isn't the first. I've shot somewhere in the neighborhood of 12,000 rounds of the aluminum but I'm switching back to only brass.

I have a .40 round of Blazer Brass with the projectile seated upside down. I have kept it as a reminder and a teaching aid.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post

There probably isn't enough brass/aluminum in the case mouth to produce a tight seal for exploding gases. So, there would have been quite a bit of gas traveling back into the breech of the pistol which may, or may not have damaged the gun or injured the shooter. Whether or not the bullet had enough pressure to be pushed down the barrel or end up being a squib is all guess work.
    "A man with an experience is not a slave to a man with an opinion."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I have a .40 round of Blazer Brass with the projectile seated upside down. I have kept it as a reminder and a teaching aid.
    I was going to keep it as a teaching aid but Federal asked me to send it to them for the same reason. I've got pictures so I don't mind losing the round.

My guess, and this is based on deliberately shooting any number of mild to severely split cases as well as having a couple of case mouth failures, would be that the student will either not notice any difference, or maybe would get a little extra gas blowback to the face.

When fired, the case usually seals into the chamber and the bullet into the rifling rather quickly. If there is enough missing case it might allow a little gas to pass around the case before you get a seal. Just a primer in a squib is usually enough to propel a bullet well into the rifling.

Another possibility is that most if not all of the powder leaked out and it would fire as a squib.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Name:  fullsizeoutput_4aa9.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  40.1 KB

This one is Remington UMC garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    Yesterday I just happened to notice a bit of powder in a student's ammo tray while he was loading mags. I had him unload and found this. It's a Federal aluminum 115gr. It was not damaged in the box or after he opened it. That's how it came from the factory.

you guys get all the cool souvenirs.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List