Thread: Strobe Rate Reference

Strobe Rate Reference

I'm looking for a document or post from some time ago and it may be on TPI referencing a Dutch or German study on strobe rates. I know I've worked with a wide range of popular lights and determined that the 15-17hz range was ideal and 10hz or less wasn't as good but there was a stronger basis on it than just that. Can anyone access it? It was "Flashlight for AMIS" on TPI and the article may have been shared here as well.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Thread necro!
    Name:  MTG-ThreadNecromancer_3198.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  34.0 KB

Flashlight for AMIS

Study in question:
    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/th...strobe.356772/

18-20hz was the answer and practical experience was 13-20hz.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Does flashlight strobe rate really matter?
    I thought the Chinese flashlight makers just had an abundance of strobe circuits they needed to use up to meet their production quota.

Strobes may look impressive but I'm not sure they will actually dazzle a bad guy into compliance
    “Safety is nice, but it’s not first. Life is first and it’s not safe.”— Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by UpDok View Post
    I thought the Chinese flashlight makers just had an abundance of strobe circuits they needed to use up to meet their production quota.

Strobes may look impressive but I'm not sure they will actually dazzle a bad guy into compliance
    In the context of the AMIS class work, running strobes in structures, used correctly, can help mask your movement. I think it's less about the being disorienting, more about them slightly delaying orientation.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I took a low light course about 9‐10 years ago from Strategos. They were big proponents of the Blackhawk Gladius / Insight Typhoon family of lights (RIP). I remember the instructor discussing that the strobe pattern of those lights was specifically determined after a study was conducted to determine the most effective strobe intensity or pattern. I'll see if I can find my notes from that class.

Quote Originally Posted by UpDok View Post

In the context of the techniques being discussed below, and why I like them, yes. There's a finite set of circumstances where it works, but when it works, it really works. It's more or less a means to buy some small amount of time. Even a half second to a second is pretty priceless at times, and it's been proven consistently in the Shivworks coursework.

User Tag List