Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Proof that alcohol and revolvers don’t mix

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Dude - at that price, if you don't like it, just box it up and ship it to my FFL in Dallas (not the same as DB's FFL, because you only make that mistake once. ) and I'll send you a check to cover your costs.
    Deal.

Seriously though, I’m hoping this is a good shooter. Always loved playing with the Detective Specials when I worked in a gun shop as a kid. Rough exterior but functional is fine by me.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    You could have done worse. I drunk bid on three S&W 66s. I won all three. That site with the all the chopped guns made me sad. I’m sure they were all recovered by a police department and some evil anti gunner requires them to be destroyed. I think the parts are ridiculously expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    It's a good thing they don't let me drink at work, else I'd have a shiny smith 29 right now and missing a rent payment
    Words which awakened some long dormant brain cells to and caused George Thorogood to get stuck in my brain.

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Site Supporter
    My Father has distinguished taste in bourbon, single malt, and S&W's. Occasionally those hobbies converge when he's in front of Gunbroker and some interesting stuff comes around because of it. The last 'score' was a sub-$400 M1917 .45 that was in rough shape, but had surprisingly good lockwork, cyl gap, no endshake, etc. Should make a fun shooter.

That everygunpart site is heartbreaking. Seeing band-sawed S&W Hand Ejectors, N-frames, and Colt Delta Elites laid out ignominiously next to POS Jennings and Hi Points just makes something *ache* inside me.

Nice.

A cerakoted revolver? Sounds like a perfect project gun to modify however you see fit. Put whatever sights or exotic finish you want on it at this point...you're not ruining a piece of history anyways.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I'm glad I quit drinking before the days of online shopping and social media.
    you need to drink to use social media.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    At least when it comes to online gun purchases after you’ve had a bit of Evan Williams and are surfing gunbroker. Saw this on GB late last night/early this AM and thought throwing out a bid I figured wouldn’t win the auction was a good idea. Read the fine print AFTER I bid. Well, guess who’s now gonna be the proud of a beat up Detective Special that’s been cerakoted? That’s right. This guy. Hopefully she shoots ok.

Attachment 28585

I blame p-f.com, of course. All these recent threads by DB and 03RN and others about old wheel guns got me in the mood for another wheel gun. Oh, well. Only cost me $235 w shipping.
    ... the number of guns that I won for almost this exact reason is a little too embarrassing to admit. Evan Williams, though.... Jack Daniels isn't that expensive!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    You could have done worse. I drunk bid on three S&W 66s. I won all three.
    You are my secret hero.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 07-30-2018 at 05:51 PM.

Site Supporter
    Likewise, avoid Gunbroker when on pain meds. That's how I ended up with an Expanse upper on top of a Smith lower. No shit.

Site Supporter
    You may have just made a good purchase. Cerakote might not be Colt Blue, but it would not bother me on a gun that is intended to be shot rather than collected. If the internals are okay and it shoots reliably, you got an amazing price. If it needs easily made repairs, you still did okay. If the repairs are not so simple, I have taken worse gambles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    You may have just made a good purchase. Cerakote might not be Colt Blue, but it would not bother me on a gun that is intended to be shot rather than collected. If the internals are okay and it shoots reliably, you got an amazing price. If it needs easily made repairs, you still did okay. If the repairs are not so simple, I have taken worse gambles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Regardless of it being a beater gun, I'd strip it off that revolver ASAP.

A college buddy of mine runs a factory-certified cerakote shop. He refuses to cerakote revolver cylinders, says that it can mess with the lockup and timing. I had originally approached him with my project gun because 1) he's a friend, 2) he does good work, and 3) I've used him before. He sent me to Robar.
    Last edited by TGS; 07-31-2018 at 02:12 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List