Thread: Beretta APX Compact/Centurion WML Compatibility

Beretta APX Compact/Centurion WML Compatibility

I checked out the APX and I'm interested in the platform. I can't find much information about WML compatibility for the Centurion and Compact. The full size looks and feels carryable, but I'm sure the Centurion would be a much better fit, for me. It doesn't look like the rail could take anything other than a TLR-3 sized light, but I can't find any information to confirm or deny. I know Beretta just dropped these a few months ago, but does anyone know? Thanks.

I have an APX Compact. My Surefire X300 and X300U lights don't lock into place because of the shortness of the rail. Don't have any of the newer lights so I can't offer any info on fit with them.

Thanks. That probably means the TLR 1/7 size lights won’t fit either. Pretty short sighted by Beretta to offer a 15 shot 9mm that won’t accept an industry standard WML.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    Thanks. That probably means the TLR 1/7 size lights won’t fit either. Pretty short sighted by Beretta to offer a 15 shot 9mm that won’t accept an industry standard WML.
    I suspect that the restriction is the result of trying to juggle a bunch of potentially conflicting requirements that grow more pronounced when the size of the gun shrinks. Namely, given the size target they are trying to hit, the extra-large trigger guard probably plays a role in restricting the amount of real estate available for the rails, unless there is something else that is negatively affecting fitment of the standard lights. Given that the extra large trigger guard is part of the selling point of the APX in the first place, getting rid of that would not only mess with the brand identity and design language, but it would also probably negatively impact some of the more prominent selling points.

Of course, this is all just guess work on my part, so the real reason could be anything, really. I do know, however, that the large trigger guard *is* a reason that I favored the APX over some other options, and a WML on the Compact or Centurion would not matter to me personally as much as the nicer trigger guard, so I am a bit biased in that respect.

I thought I would post an update to this thread. I took the 1913-4 rail key on a TLR7 and sanded down the leading edge to allow the key to interface with the front rail slot on the frame. The light locks up fairly well. I did some live fire testing with it and found the light attachment screw to loosen slightly while shooting. Possible that the thread locker applied to the screw needs to be replaced and/or the slightly wider width of the APX rail doesn’t allow the mounting clamps to tighten enough when the attachment screw is tightened. It would be nice if Streamlight, Surefire or another stateside company would make a subcompact weapon light with decent output that could attach to less then full size rail lengths. The PL Mini 2 looks promising, and I carry a M1T Raider edc, which has turned out to be very robust after a year of abuse, but I’m trying to get away from “Made in China”. Take this for what you will.

Honestly, my solution for the problem with the Centurion rail length was to use the fullsize as my WML host and the Centurion for a carry gun that I only use during daytime hours.

There is a guy in Hong Kong that makes an aluminum adapter for the X300. It allows it to mount to an HK45C, which has very few options due to the short rail. It might be something to try if you are feeling froggy.

...the guy makes airsoft parts. But its aluminum!

...and his shop is called Tactical Meow.

https://tacticalmeowcustom.wixsite.com/home/product

I thought about buying this part but didn't. Crimson Trace has a light that is adjustable and should fit (CMR-208, was $50 on Midway last month). But its not the X300.

This gets me back to the whole question of "does this gun need a light?" Because I'm not dogmatic that carry guns need to have WML on them. Home defense guns yes, but then since it doesn't need to be concealed, I can just get a bigger gun and put an X300 on it. So for the Centurion, trying to get a WML to fit it kind of seems like trying to figure out how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

The OLight PL Mini 2 would fit I would bet.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    This gets me back to the whole question of "does this gun need a light?" Because I'm not dogmatic that carry guns need to have WML on them. Home defense guns yes, but then since it doesn't need to be concealed, I can just get a bigger gun and put an X300 on it. So for the Centurion, trying to get a WML to fit it kind of seems like trying to figure out how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
    I won't completely disagree with you. I don't think carry guns have to have them either. However, I like to have the option. I want to see more options for subcompact wml.

If some reputable manufacturer (Maybe that's Olight, but not to me, yet.) made a light that fit a Centurion sized gun fairly well and didn't produce a lot of extra bulk, I think that would have a lot of merit in the LE world. My current issued pistol is a Glock 21 that I mounted a TLR1HL. That gun is effing huge. Duty guns do a lot of in and out of cars/SUVs, maneuvering around objects, banging seat-belts, and otherwise getting in the way a lot more than they're fired. I think the P320 Carry or Glock 45 sized weapon concept is really valid for LE use. The problem is most people hang an X300 or TLR1 on the rail and completely defeat the purpose of the shorter slide/barrel.

Frankly, just my opinion, but take the APX Centurion- Streamlight develops a rail key for the TLR7A, Safariland makes a 6360, and Beretta drops a 17+1 grip frame for the compact slide and that's a pretty solid duty package. The barrel is long enough for functional velocities, the TLR7A (Or a Surefire equivalent, if it ever drops) extends just far enough past the muzzle to provide some bit of stand-off (If you care about that), but not enough to be obtrusive. It puts out enough light for duty use (remember when we were using X200s) and will stay out of the way fairly well. For plainclothes guys/gals you can drop the FCU into any of the smaller grip frames and voila, a smaller gun that is still compatible with their patrol holster.

User Tag List