Page 90 of 226 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you shoot today?

Initial zero with new Swampfox Sentinel M, on Smith .22c

Found a box of Eley Sport to use, as I refuse to break open my stash of CCISV.

20 yards, 14 degrees out, blowing snow, at night, numb fingers, WML, and DA Mask.

Sentinal appears very similar to my Riton MPRD. Plan to do more shooting tomorrow with some old Rem Thunderbolts

95-1x

Name:  20210128_201130.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  47.2 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

I shot my Volquartsen Black Mamba and my backup, Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite but with a 5.5 inch Target Barrel.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Shot my new Sionics Recce build. Have about 300 rounds through it so far with no problems. The gun is quite accurate and I really like the Meopta ZD 1-4 I have on it. Great piece of glass. Has spoiled me for future purchases as I don't think I could settle for something less clear. Already makes my PST 2 feel kind of cheap...

Did a little pistol work but mostly wanted to wring out these rifles and confirm my zero. Need to get back into a regular habit with my handgun dry fire; I have a lot more 9mm than 5.56 and my ability with a pistol has definitely declined. For next trip I suppose.

Got out with my SBH 44MAG. All I have around is some hunting ammo my FIL and I loaded years ago. Pretty stout for a wheelgun but fun to shoot. Need to get into my storage unit and find my target 44 ammo. Can't wait until we don't need a storage unit any more.

27 degrees out. Didn't shoot much.

Name:  IMG_20210206_161221.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  56.9 KB
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Name:  E9B8DC62-84FA-42DC-9D7E-67945BADA0DF.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  37.5 KB
    25 yards. 2.22 sec.

Site Supporter
    Got an unplanned invitation to shoot on some property owned by a friend of a friend yesterday. Was a nice setup out in the middle of nowhere. No restrictions on ammo, so I could shoot the M855 I had on hand that the local ranges won't let me shoot. In addition to plinking steel at 100 yards with iron sights I got to shoot a couple of RDS pistols (Canik TP9 and CZ P10) and an AR15 (didn't notice the make) with an inexpensive Crimson Trace RDS. Liked the triggers on the Canik and CZ quite a bit, but really was focused on my first time shooting dots. I borrowed the CT sight and put it on my Colt 6920 for a few mags. I was definitely distracted by the fixed front sight and actually found it helpful to leave the rear sight up to know how to orient my cheek and not view the dot from a wrong angle. I'll definitely be picking up an RDS for the AR for more practice. Looking forward to getting the 407K I have on back order installed on the G19.

Most of all, it was nice spending a sunny (but cool) day outside with friends. Almost felt normal.
    Was having so much fun that I forgot to take pictures. Call me Boomer.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

HK P30 v1
    Night Fision 3 dot
    Octane 9HD
    Berry's 147 HHP
    55 yards

1 shot at the red label:
    Name:  20210208_165711.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  43.4 KB

1 shot into milk jugs, almost punched through the 3rd jug.

A bit more barrel length / velocity would lay the petals back more. I am very pleased with this load.

Name:  20210208_192548.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  55.6 KB

Name:  20210208_192627.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  60.9 KB

Also 30 rds through the M&P.22c with Swampfox Sentinel.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    .... and not view the dot from a wrong angle.
    Just some friendly unsolicited advice, but at least with rifle rds (maybe pistol too, don’t have enough experience to say) there really is no “wrong angle.” With the exception of some lower quality dots with parallax problems, if you can see the dot on target, shoot the dot without regard to where it appears in the aperture. The round will go where the dot is.

Two common issues with new dot shooters are to try to either A) center the dot in the aperture, or B) place the dot on the front iron sight. Both of these approaches cost time and frankly if you’re going to use a dot, ignore the existence of irons entirely. The two sighting systems (irons and dot) work completely independently of each other. In addition, visual focus should be on the target, not the dot itself.

Hope I didn’t come across as pushy, but there is a learning curve with dots and long time irons shooters tend to have some unintentionally self inflicted challenges.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

DpdG is correct, but I will say that some like front and rear backup sights up with a dot for different reasons. One is ease of checking to make sure the dot is zeroed by knowing where it should be in relation to the irons and checking it as part of making sure it’s on. Bigger one for me is that if I lose my dot because it dies or, more likely, because I’m suddenly looking into much brighter light than before, the irons are right there to switch to immediately.

But still, when using the dot, I’m ignoring the irons. Which isn’t hard once you’re used to target focus.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Was having so much fun that I forgot to take pictures. Call me Boomer.
    Ok Boomer...

***ducks and runs***
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List