Page 86 of 226 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you shoot today?

Took my new Mk4 22/45 Lite and a new (to me) S&W 422. Quick trip to verify sights on both. Actually, was trying to zero a Burris FF2 on the 22/45. It was an exercise in futility. Just could not get it to zero. At one point I had better luck reversing the directions indicated. At another point I was close but it wouldn’t adjust the 1”left I needed. Kept turning until I noticed the adjustment screw was about to fall out.

It was only at 7 yds and I had nice, relatively tight (certainly consistent) but not zeroed groups.

I don’t know what I was doing wrong. That being said, I shot better (quicker, more consistently and confidently) once I pulled the FF 2 off.

I’m not super impressed with the Mk4 overall—though I want to be, since I just paid MSRP for it. I have multiple FTE. It also seems considerably less accurate than my Mk3 22/45, which is a reliable laser. Was hoping to put a dot on the Mk4 and try some Steel Challenge. Not sure what to do about that...

I had paid $25 To have the rear sight adjusted/drifted on the 422 so I wanted to check it. Shoots pretty well but still an inch left at 7 yds. The thread about sight pushers has me thinking...

There was one other guy at the (private) gun club, shooting a G19. He was pretty consistently low left. I had an opportunity to offer use of my 9mm snap caps for a DIY ball and dummy drill (without coming across like a know-it-all). He was grateful and his groupings improved. Seemed like a new-ish shooter. Nice guy. And he let me have his brass.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Quick range trip. Finally got a SF Warden for my pin and weld 14.5” BCM, wanted to make sure it didn’t effect the zero.

Attachment 63897
    I have the identical upper with a Warden. What kind of groups are you seeing?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I have the identical upper with a Warden. What kind of groups are you seeing?
    1 to 1 1/2 inch at 50. Normal for a red dot at 50 yards. I would need irons or magnified optic to group better than that.

Name:  5673DDD9-0769-42BC-BD01-C0EE3E117388.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  61.0 KB

92D-XR, Elite LTT with NP3 trigger job and a 7 year old Italian 92FS that I’ve massaged a little over the years.

Shot mostly at 25 yards today after reading the Lucky Gunner post about the DeFoor hat Qual. I never did pass the DeFoor hat Qual, hat 3 separate runs that scored 88, but never a 90 or better. I did learn a lot between shooting the qual and the other dry and live work I did that went along with it. With some focused practice, I bet I could pass it on demand in 6 months, and I may make that a goal. I haven’t really had a good shooting goal in a long time and it’s caused my motivation to do dry work to be lackluster. Interestingly enough, all 3 of my best scores came with the Italian FS, but that’s also the one I shot for the vast majority of the work.

I also ran the HiTS Super Test. Made a 284 with the Elite LTT that was my best run of the day. By the time I shot the Super Test, I was definitely fatigued and getting cold. I normally run right around 290 with a Beretta 92.

I ran the Super Test once with the 92D-XR, passed with a 275 (I think, maybe 273). Not great. Shooting the DAO at 25 was also a blast. It actually went a little better than I expected. I could see myself making it a carry gun in the future. Thinking trigger and all that.

I took the precision 223 bolt gun to the 300 yard range today to test some loads.

Left group (head of silhouette) was 5 shots of 52 grain Nosler over 25.5 grains of Benchmark in free PMC brass with an unknown primer. Shot number 4 was outside that small cluster in the group so this one definitely shows promise.

Right group (6"circle) was shot with something I threw together for cheap fun. The bullets were 75 grain blems that were a little ugly but I had bought some IMR 4320 for $5 a pound so I thought why not. I didn't even trickle the powder and it still turned out to be a sub MOA group.

Name:  20201205_140337.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  25.1 KB

Just a couple samples but I'm happy with where these are headed.
    Last edited by SecondsCount; 12-06-2020 at 01:58 AM.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Rock River Poly

As discussed in another thread, felt recoil on these is much better than all the other light weight 1911's. Got lots of drills in.

Attachment 64247

Site Supporter
    Shot my work carbine in Green Ops 2 day Tactical Carbine Class with @JM Campbell.

Name:  F612633C-297F-44E1-B928-6D89912E0C7F.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  46.4 KB

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-December-2020

TLDR AAR: the instruction and POI (program of instruction) were excellent. WX was cold and rainy day 1 and much improved on day 2. It’s a credit to Mike Green’s abilities as an instructor that much learning occurred on day 1 despite the WX.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-07-2020 at 12:41 AM.

Site Supporter
    Finally have enough rounds through my 11.5" to feel comfortable with it so I took it out to zero with my defensive ammo. After adjusting the dot down ~6MOA from the practice ammo zero, shot this at 50. Very annoyed I didn't hold it together to see what this rifle is capable of.
    Name:  IMG_4118.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  100.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_4112.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  55.9 KB

Also ran the drill from this month's Rangemaster Newsletter twice with my G19 w/ RMR. Pretty happy with the results but I went slightly over time on at least one of the one-handed portions both times. Really need to buckle down and work on SHO/WHO going forward. (Looking at them now, pretty sure the scores were actually 194 and 195).
    Name:  IMG_4119.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  49.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_4120.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  50.0 KB

Don't ask how the 25yd practice went . . .

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Shot my work carbine in Green Ops 2 day Tactical Carbine Class with @JM Campbell.

Name:  F612633C-297F-44E1-B928-6D89912E0C7F.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  46.4 KB

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-December-2020

TLDR AAR: the instruction and POI (program of instruction) were excellent. WX was cold and rainy day 1 and much improved on day 2. It’s a credit to Mike Green’s abilities as an instructor that much learning occurred on day 1 despite the WX.
    Excellent training class. My colt/bcm 11.5” sbr running a omega with swfa 1-4 lpvo ran great after discovering a faulty Lancer mag causing double feeds. Work through the problem and finish the drill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

On my last range outing (gunsmoke therapy) with my brother, I discovered that my 45-70 405 grain "hunting load" was hitting no where near my light Trapdoor 300 grain "chock full of Trailboss" fun load. From a bipod, my Trapdoor load will ring a 10" steel every time at 100 yards.

I worked up these loads a couple of years ago and have somewhat ignored them in leu of other shooting projects.

The trigger was above the 8 lbs that my gauge will measure, I'm guessing around 10lbs. Yuck.
    After some careful stone work on the trigger and a Wolff reduced power hammer spring, it's now between 4 and 4.5 lbs and nice and crisp.

Today, after some work with a paper target at 80 yards, I find that the 405 loads are hitting 9" right and 6 " high compared to the 300 loads. I can understand height changes but 9" right??? Ver da ferk? With Kentucky windage adjustment, I was able to hit the 100 yard steel plate but I need a better solution.

Compounding the issue is that I have fitted this Marlin 45-70 and my Henry 22 with Williams target aperture sights but I only have one .05 aperture and it is on the Henry, which I left at home. After I got home I bit the bullet and ordered a 3 piece aperture set from Brownells.

Now I need to figure out how to come up with the number of clicks to adjust between loads and see how repeatable the change will be.

Gringop (only accurate buffalo guns are interesting)

Name:  20201214_231530A.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  78.7 KB
    Name:  20201214_231648A.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  74.2 KB
    Last edited by gringop; 12-15-2020 at 01:19 AM.
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

User Tag List