Page 75 of 231 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you shoot today?

Zeroed the glass at 50/225y for this big girl: Name:  E4515576-5E2B-4C58-A485-8324CF4D58B7.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  76.9 KB

This is my first foray into the magnified optic life and I can see two lessons so far- A) GI G3 triggers suck, and B) I have to learn to accept “good enough” while breaking the trigger. The magnification was accentuating my natural wobble and I frequently found myself letting off mid-press. I’ve got that lesson down for red dots but magnification gave way more feedback and self doubt.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Vetting the EDC X9s

Started the vetting process for this little blaster. Found out it really, really likes American Eagle 124's (which, of course are out of stock everywhere) and Gold Dot 124+p which I have a ton of. Using the 10rd flush mags it's a challenging gun to shoot without your support hand getting loose. I'm going to have to look at my grip and how it differs between the longer and shorter mag. It may well be that because there's no pinky support with the 10rd mag, I'm not getting the support hand locked in as well -"First World Problems." With the 15rd standard mags it's a dream to shoot. The last 15 of the GD stayed centered on a 2" target dot at 10 yards. I quite like it! As a bonus the Exodus IWB that I have for a Walther PPS fits it very well. May have some stitches added to raise it up in the holster a smidgen.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Scout in 6.5 Creedmoore random ranges, 25 steel targets, 200 to 700 yards

I continue to be impressed by this little rifle. It deserves a better scope although I had zero problems getting everything, including the 700 yard targets today.

Name:  steyr at rockford 7_24_20.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  97.9 KB

Pulled the ol’ LMT MRP out of the safe. Smoothest AR I own I think. Maybe it’s the Magpul M93 stock.

Then the 43, 7,10 and 15 yards target focus
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Norville; 07-25-2020 at 07:57 AM.

This new-to-me single stack SVI with a full-length dust cover and no stirrup cut in Murica's caliber. I traded some pistols, including my Grand Power collection, two SA base guns that were slated to be customs but were not, and the G17.4 taking up space in my safe, for it. The idea was the extra non-reciprocating weight out front from the dust cover and the bull barrel will lower the muzzle rise and spare my joints. Over the past couple of years, I have noticed that my wrists and elbows complain after range sessions with anything more energetic than 9x19. About fifteen years ago, I shot a Baer TRS HD that made me aware of the benefits of the heavy full-length dust cover.

I developed a flinch with the G23.3 in .40 when my 9x19 practice ammo supply dwindled to almost nothing and have been using a RRA 1911, STI Lawman, and Ruger 22/45 to get rid of it. The 1911s made my tendinitis flare. The diminished muzzle rise with the SVI is real, but this pistol is magazine picky. Not to feed, but to lock the magazine into the pistol. The mag catch is pretty high and Wilson ETM magazines were stopping on the plastic floor plate. The result was failures-to-feed with the round jammed into the feed ramp and still in the magazine. The magazine had to be forcibly stripped from the pistol. Older magazines, primarily Metalform and ACT-MAG, seated and fed with no issues. As usual with 1911-pattern pistols, magazines need to be vetted in the pistol with the ammo.

The trigger is a wee bit too light for carry; it is actually a bit lighter (in feel) than my Bullseye pistols. I threw several shots out of the first few magazines, including an unwanted double tap, getting used to the trigger. There is almost no perceptible over travel and the reset point was a bit hard for me to find. It was too freaking hot (88) and humid (~60%) to mess with the trigger weight scale, so real measurements and adjustments will have to weight (wait). The sights are an old-school MMC black rear and a front ramp with a white dot. Aiming with the target on top of the front sight at fifty yards I was able to group under four inches for ten shots from a rest and under eight inches offhand. I am quite rusty offhand and it showed. Once I started shaking off the rust, I put together some nice groups only to throw a few shots as fatigue made itself known. The weight is both a boon and a curse. I ended with some drills on steel plates; that was fun. I put 200 rounds through it before the heat and humidity drove me indoors.

I do not have a holster for it, just ordering a Sparks VM-2 this week. Before (if) it goes in a holster, the trigger pull weight needs to increase. This is my third SVI and, like the others, it is very smooth yet easy to take apart and put back together. It has the interchangeable breech face, an Infinity bull barrel, and a one-piece FLGR with a reverse plug. I use a small piece of heavy lead-core solder wire to capture the recoil spring. I like solder for this as the material is so soft as to be easily put in the required configuration and not dig into anything. I trimmed the piece to be just a 1/64" or so longer than the diameter of the FLGR.

I have high hopes for the SVI as a training pistol. However, it has proven to be expensive. My wife went with to the LGS when I transferred it and found a G43X she wanted. Not just any G43X; this one is a "rose gold" with an engraved slide G43X. So she had to fill out a Form 4473.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I took the New Model Super Blackhawk to the range today. .44 Special 246 gr lead was like .38 Special out of the S&W Model 19. .44 Magnum? Lord have mercy I ordered some Pachmayr grips when I got home!

Name:  Super Blackhawk.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  63.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Recently came into possession of this, almost but not quite a "one-off" because I know of a couple of others.

A first-gen M&P 5" 9mm with a beta test version of Unity Tactical's Atom RDS/PMO mount. Unfortunately, there is only one plate and it's for the RMR footprint. If Apex made it at the time, it is in this pistol. All of the internals are NP3 coated.

Took it down to one of the range's this morning and ran a magazine through for function.

Attachment 57715Attachment 57716Attachment 57717

Now that I've done that, it's back to actual work.
    You lucky son of a gun. Been wanting this for my M&Ps for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    You lucky son of a gun. Been wanting this for my M&Ps for years.
    Thank you sir.

I'd asked Unity about a commercial release so many times over the years I was, no doubt, being annoying. When the opportunity presented itself, I dove on it.

Site Supporter
    Quick indoor range trip. Zero’ed the RMR on the SA Operator. Back up irons were dead on at 7 yards.

Just got the stamp back for the YHM Turbo K - ran 30 rounds to check function and gas blow back. Ran it on a Q mount with a Q plan B Omega adaptor.

Name:  95F2EE8E-5E2A-48C9-9832-4557ACD70A2E.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  45.7 KB

Name:  28D6584E-9AAB-443F-900E-71A1C00E0817.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  40.8 KB
    Last edited by HCM; 07-26-2020 at 12:20 AM.

User Tag List