Page 58 of 232 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you shoot today?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Doesn’t the LAW folder make the fixed stock LOP a bit long ?
    So originally I was running an A2 stock and when the law folder went on the a2 quickly came off and was replaced with the A1. The LOP with the A1 is still a bit long but I'm 6'1 and have long arms so I find it very comfortable. Recently I have been considering buying a sully stock and seeing how that feels.

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    The LOP with the A1 is still a bit long but I'm 6'1 and have long arms so I find it very comfortable. Recently I have been considering buying a sully stock and seeing how that feels.
    I think that is a cool idea, retaining the rifle length tube. Though the buffer is different, so is the travel actually any different? The only rifle length gun I have also has a 26" barrel with a rifle length gas system, so it is probably gonna shoot pretty smooth no matter what. My rifle has this one on it:
    https://magpul.com/firearm-accessori...obal_color=118
    And it has a nice compartment in it, kinda bonus.
    I am only 5'-9" and have rather short arms, so combining this with a LAW would probably be out of range for me.

But I also wonder about this one:
    https://magpul.com/firearm-accessori...obal_color=118
    That might fall right into the sweet spot...

Subsonic 223, My progessing posible failboat project

I got out to the range last weekend to chrono some more subsonic loads.

55 gr FMJ with 3.8gr Trail Boss averaged 1037fps, all stayed subsonic and were James Bond quiet. The range conditions were too windy to get any readings from my questionable phone sound app. At 50 yards the bullet drop was 2 1/4" low compared to factory 55gr ammo. The size of the group was a horrible 2 1/4" from a bipod with a scope. A possible factor was that they were loaded with Dacron filler to keep the powder in the rear against the primer. I found unburned Dacron tufts in the can after shooting this ammo. I'm going to shift to using a smaller amount of cotton to hold the powder and maybe try some with no filler.

I think this load of Trail Boss is good for a subsonic 55gr load, it makes 131 foot pounds of muzzle energy. Slightly higher than 40gr Mini Mags in my 20" barrel bolt gun at 124 foot pounds. I just need to solve the accuracy issue.

Using the Trail Boss volume method, I had a starting load for 75gr FMJ of 5.3gr Trail Boss. This averaged 1199 fps and was supersonic but all you could hear was the crack. It showed a bullet drop of 4" below factory 55gr ammo at 50 yards. I will try some loads at 4.5gr Trail Boss to see if I can get it subsonic at around 1030fp. That would give a muzzle energy of 179 foot pounds.

If that does not work out I'll just load it up with normal powder to make a somewhat hot 75gr load. Hodgdon's max is 23gr of H335 at 2184fps. 1319 foot pounds in a 223, Yee Haw!

I was able to shoot a carbine match this weekend with the suppressor. I used S+B 55gr factory and my 55 grain reloads with the same result. The gas produced was very distracting both by gas in the face and by overdriving the bolt carrier making the gun jump a lot more than normal. On the last stage I took the suppressor off and shot much better and faster.

I know now that I will need a GasBuster CH and possibly a heavier buffer or some other way of slowing down the bolt carrier. Not interested in an adjustable gas block. From shooting on the bench for Chrono data I noticed a little gas in the face but it didn't bother me. At the match it was a big PITA. This gun just has an Aimpoint H-1and no FF tube so it's pretty light. I will have to try it with my heavier scoped gun with all the crap hanging off of it.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    I was able to shoot a carbine match this weekend with the suppressor. I used S+B 55gr factory and my 55 grain reloads with the same result. The gas produced was very distracting both by gas in the face and by overdriving the bolt carrier making the gun jump a lot more than normal. On the last stage I took the suppressor off and shot much better and faster.

I know now that I will need a GasBuster CH and possibly a heavier buffer or some other way of slowing down the bolt carrier.
    It has probably been already mentioned to you (just hopefully not by me ), but would one of those new types of suppressors that vent out the front be a possibility? I hear good things about them. (Although I don't actually own one myself so all I know is hearsay...)

10" MKII.

Hot damn is this thing easy to hit with. Empty 9 and 40 cases were in serious trouble all the way back to the 10yd line.

No pics but ran some of the Mexican minimags through my S&W 43c. Love this gun and ammo combination!

Subsonic 223, my progressing possible failboat project.

Got out to the range again today. Tested out a truly subsonic 75 gr load and my established 55 gr load with no filler in it to keep the powder against the primer.

4.5gr Trail Boss with a 75gr Hornady with the suppressor averaged 991fps. At 50 yards it hit 5.5" low from POA.
    3.8gr Trail Boss with a 55gr fmjbt with the suppressor averaged 1037jps. At 50 yards it hit 4" low from POA.

The POA is my normal 100 yard zero with 55 gr ammo.

I'm happy with the groups, see targets below. I just need to work out my holdovers in my scope at various distances out to 100 yds. It would be interesting to see what the velocity ends up being at 75 and 100 yards. I don't think I can make that work out logistically at my club range, may need to go to a friend's ranch to get that data.

I did get a Gas buster CH and H2 and H3 buffer and tested them all with factory ammo on both rifles. With the GB CH and the H3 buffer, the gas was 90% better and the violent bolt carrier movement was 100% better. I don't get gas impulses on my face for each shot like before, but I do notice a gas cloud when shooting longer strings of 5 or more. If I was moving while shooting it would not be a factor at all.

With the H3 buffer, both the mid-length gas system and the carbine gas system rifles ran fine with and without the suppressor on S+B factory 55gr and my 55gr reloads.

So, I'm pretty happy with my results now. I've got 2 different wimpy subsonic loads that group OK and don't tumble, cause baffle strikes or require filler to be added to the case. I have a GB CH and H3 buffer solution to gas in the face. All systems are Go for more suppressor shooting.

Gringop

Name:  55.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  20.7 KB Name:  75.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  21.7 KB
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Your results look similar to my subsonic tests. I tried Unique, TB, and Clays. None of them really seemed to make much difference in accuracy.

For fun, I made a subsonic 53 Vmax load and shot a water bottle at 50 feet. It went through it like butter and didn't expand or fragment.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I picked up an M&P 40 last week and finally got it to a range today. Found it on sale for $319. I haven't had a .40 since a brief experiment with an H&K P2000. I was looking for a cheaper but reliable. 40 to have around as I still have a decent amount of ammo.

The M&P shot well. The trigger took some getting used to. Accuracy was good from variety of distances. Reliability was good with 180 grn self defense loads and practice 165 grn and 180 grn practice loads.

Overall, I'm happy happy with it. I had the pistol range to myself and it was good to get out and get some shooting in.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To

Something old, Something new

It’s been a long while since I’ve picked up a shotgun. Spent many hours years back with some great dogs chasing quail. I never really owned a “business shotgun”. Picked up a Remington 870 the other week as a no-nonsense tool. Need to get acquainted again.

Old:

H. Clarke & Sons 16ga circa 1895. Sleeved and reproofed for nitro. Proper paper hulls. Great little gun. Last time it was shot, I was with two old friends who showed me the birds. Maybe one day again...not today though.

Name:  AC04BDBA-D57B-4686-A2A9-A777B836974E.jpeg
Views: 312
Size:  36.6 KB

New:

Remington 870HD. Retro wood. Proper “business” loads. Really need to take a class...

Name:  59B27E5F-1116-4D8B-8DD0-6FEB98E97AC9.jpeg
Views: 332
Size:  41.7 KB
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List