Page 56 of 232 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you shoot today?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  67.5 KB

I put a couple cylinders each through my Bisley .44 Special and my Bearcat. I also checked the zero on my Ruger American Ranch .300 Blackout, ran a couple mags through my M&P15T, and a few mags through my M&P40 2.0C.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    Got a 223 suppressor, check? Time for endless reloading experimentation to try for an endpoint that probably doesn't exist/aka, 223 subsonic suppressed rounds? Check!!!

Hodgen shows a load of 4.0gr Trail Boss with a 55gr FMJ at 1,074. This would be subsonic at 60 degrees Fahrenheit (1117.24 fps).

My chrono results from this weekend using the above load show 1126fps avg on a 16" BCM barrel. My "no hearing protection and crono" results show that 964 fps results in a true James Bond suppressed "futt" sound out of the gun. Other rounds above the sound barrier never got below the 50 DB level and were loud as F. No keyholeing or otherwise bullet upsets were observed on the target. So as a conclusion, we need effective rounds to be below the sound barrier.

Bullet drop with reduced loads:
    At 28 yds, the longest distance on this specific range, the normal 3k plus fps reloads hit 1" low (sighted in at 100 yrds), the Trail Boss 4.0 loads hit at 3" low. "At 30 yards, this load hits 2" low"

"Preliminary conclusions"
    I've just loaded up a significant number of 3.8gr Trail Boss 55gr fmjbt rounds to test the next time I'm at the range. I am presuming that they will be consistently subsonic. If they hit 2" low at 28 yrds what will they do at 100yds? At < 964 fps, what will they do to a target animal/human? Is this a silly backyard squirrel shooter, or can we make it into something useful?

Using heavier bullets:
    I've ordered some 75gr bullets for further experimentation. Heavier bullets=easier to keep subsonic while adding energy to bullet impact.

"sub Trail Boss section" ---My comments;
    "We don't give shit what you are shooting. Trail Boss Is so wimpy that ridiculous volumetric measurements are sufficient to keep you from blowing up your gun and all those around you. Pour on the coal, you stupid puss, Gott dang it, buy more of our stuff!!!!

From Hodgen's site:

Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at
    this location. Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh. This is your
    maximum load. Pressures will be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use!
    Take 70% of this powder charge weight (multiply the maximum load from step 1 by .7), and that is your starting
    load.

Start with this beginning load and work up to your maximum charge, all the while searching for the most accurate
    reduced load. Once found, the fun begins!

My plan going forward is to Trail Boss the F out of this Project, possibly to find a 223 load that will be quiet, subsonic and effective. If that is not possible, I will find a 75 gr load that is quieter than the speed of sound or work with normal powder for a lower sound signature.
    Great info, thanks!

I have a lot of Trail Boss on hand and a rifle can in jail. I should spend some time this summer on 223 subs.

Do your TB loads cycle the action?

As an aside, TB is my favorite powder for nonsensical fun loads. I love it with a 120gr 32cal lead bullet in my 308win.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Great info, thanks!

I have a lot of Trail Boss on hand and a rifle can in jail. I should spend some time this summer on 223 subs.

Do your TB loads cycle the action?

As an aside, TB is my favorite powder for nonsensical fun loads. I love it with a 120gr 32cal lead bullet in my 308win.

Chris
    They don't cycle the action at all but I expected that from reading about it. The can is a little dirty after using TB but a few full power loads clean it up nicely.

TP is great for 300gr 45/70 loads that make it feel like I'm shooting my 45 Colt trapper.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Site Supporter
    I put 230 rounds through my new G48. 200 115gr FMJ and 30 147gr HST. No malfunctions. It shoots a touch low, but that could just be the factory sights which weren't the most visible for me at an indoor range.

With my last 50 rounds, I shot Dot Torture. I scored a 48/50. The two misses, both single hand (strong, then weak) are poor trigger control and a bit of fatigue from running through 200+ rounds in a short period of time.

The non-bullet marks on the paper are where it has been knocking around my range bag for months.

Name:  IMG_20200227_173456961.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  36.9 KB

Chris

Impressive

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    That, or a Geissele Reaction Rod, but it's much more expensive.
    Another tool to buy?
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    This thing recently hit my radar, and I have a new barrel, and am thinking about a big handguard swap around activity, so pretty sure I will get one.
    Hey guys, I like the Reaction Rod idea but also thought it was a little salty for what it is, and somehow just tripped over a Brownells brand alternative:
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...?sku=080000637

And they also have a AR-10 version.

Site Supporter
    G34 in ESP at the local IDPA Match. 115g WWB/Magpul 17 rd mags/Bladetech OWB/CCC Basic Mag Carriers/Graith Belt/Gap closed front 1/4 cover garment

G35 in ESP at a local IDPA Match. 180g Speer Gold Dot-Same holster/mags pouches/belt etc. as above

Got a 223 suppressor, check? Time for endless reloading experimentation to try for an endpoint that probably doesn't exist/aka, 223 subsonic suppressed rounds? Check!!!

Hodgen shows a load of 4.0gr Trail Boss with a 55gr FMJ at 1,074. This would be subsonic at 60 degrees Fahrenheit (1117.24 fps).

My chrono results from this weekend using the above load show 1126fps avg on a 16" BCM barrel. My "no hearing protection and crono" results show that 964 fps results in a true James Bond suppressed "futt" sound out of the gun. Other rounds above the sound barrier never got below the 50 DB level and were loud as F. No keyholeing or otherwise bullet upsets were observed on the target. So as a conclusion, we need effective rounds to be below the sound barrier.

Bullet drop with reduced loads:
    At 28 yds, the longest distance on this specific range, the normal 3k plus fps reloads hit 1" low (sighted in at 100 yrds), the Trail Boss 4.0 loads hit at 3" low. "At 30 yards, this load hits 2" low"

"Preliminary conclusions"
    I've just loaded up a significant number of 3.8gr Trail Boss 55gr fmjbt rounds to test the next time I'm at the range. I am presuming that they will be consistently subsonic. If they hit 2" low at 28 yrds what will they do at 100yds? At < 964 fps, what will they do to a target animal/human? Is this a silly backyard squirrel shooter, or can we make it into something useful?

Using heavier bullets:
    I've ordered some 75gr bullets for further experimentation. Heavier bullets=easier to keep subsonic while adding energy to bullet impact.

"sub Trail Boss section" ---My comments;
    "We don't give shit what you are shooting. Trail Boss Is so wimpy that ridiculous volumetric measurements are sufficient to keep you from blowing up your gun and all those around you. Pour on the coal, you stupid puss, Gott dang it, buy more of our stuff!!!!

From Hodgen's site:

Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at
    this location. Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh. This is your
    maximum load. Pressures will be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use!
    Take 70% of this powder charge weight (multiply the maximum load from step 1 by .7), and that is your starting
    load.

Start with this beginning load and work up to your maximum charge, all the while searching for the most accurate
    reduced load. Once found, the fun begins!

My plan going forward is to Trail Boss the F out of this Project, possibly to find a 223 load that will be quiet, subsonic and effective. If that is not possible, I will find a 75 gr load that is quieter than the speed of sound or work with normal powder for a lower sound signature.
    http://www3.telus.net/gamegetter/Operate3.html
    I keep thinking about buying 1 or 3 of these for subsonic silliness in various lever and bolt guns. Not like I haven’t spent way more money for similar experiments.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Hey guys, I like the Reaction Rod idea but also thought it was a little salty for what it is, and somehow just tripped over a Brownells brand alternative:
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...?sku=080000637

And they also have a AR-10 version.
    Great find. Considerably cheaper than the Geiselle RR, and on par with the Magpul BEV Block pricing.

Today, my wife and I went out to try some carry gun options for her. She found the 365 to be the easiest to shoot well, followed by the 43. She didn't care for any of the 380's, mostly due to size. She's a tiny thing, but their small size made them harder to shoot than the slightly larger 9mm's. That's pretty common knowledge around here, but those were her observations as a novice shooter.

After sorting out some grip and trigger finger placement issues with the various sized guns, she did incredibly well. She's so patient and purposeful on the trigger press. I couldn't be more proud (and impressed).

All performed 100% with Fiocchi 115gr 9mm, Hornady 124gr +P 9mm, and S&B .380acp.

She tried...

LCP
    LCP II
    G42
    G43

For funzies...

G19.5 RMR
    G45 RMR

Last photo is her 7 round group at eight yards, shooting a 19.5 with RMR for the first time. She really liked the dot.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    All of my new-to-me K frames:

Name:  Triple-K.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  67.2 KB

I didn't paint the sights on the 65, but I'll do that in short order.

All of them shot well. Me, not so much. It's been too long.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List