Page 53 of 232 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you shoot today?

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    How do the rubber bungie straps hold up on the plates? I use chains and am happy, but the bungie straps might be a lot more portable. I would think they would get cut up from splatter, but that is just me ASSuming.
    They suck.

I keep meaning to get chains but just never think about it when im driving around.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    They probably provide better tone than the chains. I always found the chains attenuated the “ding” a bit.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    They probably provide better tone than the chains. I always found the chains attenuated the “ding” a bit.
    At one point I had things tightened up and damn if you couldn't hear the ring (half the fun!!). Loose bolts (lock nuts or thread locker) or cold shuts work great.

My EDC gun: G5 G19 MOS, RMR07, TLR7-A, and Overwatch Precision TAC trigger. Re-zero'd the RMR this morning after battery replacement, then did some accuracy work and a bit of holster/speed stuff. Slowly working towards a 100 freestyle at 25 yards.

Name:  20200125_134450.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  47.8 KB

Got the new-to-me handguns out to the range. Every bit as fun as I expected. Ruger Blackhawk .45 Convertible and SA 9mm Range Officer Operator.

Name:  bisley.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  103.5 KB
    Name:  operator 2.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  105.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Pulled this out of the safe. After having the plunger tube re-staked I ran about 150 rounds of 230 ball through it.

The takeaways:

45 is fun to shoot
    I wish it were cheaper
    Front sight is a bit too wide for my liking
    The looks you get running 10 round strings with it are priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Shot a local match with P30v1, centerfire open class.

S1: 20 ft 20 rds in 40 seconds
    S2: 30 ft 5 rds each on 3 bulls 30 seconds
    S3: 50 ft 5 rds each on 3 bulls 40 seconds

S1: 198-14×
    S2: 46-2x, 47-2x, 46
    S3" 42, 45, 45-1x

Total : 469/500-19x

Dang those bulls are small

Hopefully good enough for 1st or 2nd place.... Really should have done better, we'll see how the standings shake out.

Name:  20200128_174341.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  35.5 KB
    Name:  20200128_223000.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  39.7 KB
    Last edited by CCT125US; 01-28-2020 at 11:08 PM.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Sellers View Post

Pulled this out of the safe.....
    Hell. Yeah.

Jojo's for the win.

Finally managed to take my new revolver out to the range during some actual day light. So, naturally, had to take a tail gate shot:

Name:  IMG_20200202_161736407.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  68.4 KB

With the help of day light and actually seeing well what I was doing with the gun, I finally figured out what my issue with the sights was: none, the gun just shoots really, really high with 158gr Magnums. Hrmph. More disturbingly, I had a single instance of a failure to fire. I've been wondering during dry fire if everything is okay with this gun, as just a couple of times (out of easily several hundred) a trigger pull seemed to be a little... off. I'll have to disassemble it and see what's up with the innards of this gun. Hopefully it'll end up being just really dirty inside, or something simple like that.

I got back out the range with my new Ruger 22/45 after removing the LCI, the mag safety and the spring and detent in the bolt hold open lever. At some point I will drill it for a spring to hold the BHO down but for now gravity works to allow it to drop when racking the bolt on mag changes.

The trigger reach is a little too short for my big hands, but burying the finger to contact the trigger just outside of the 2nd knuckle seems to work well.

I picked up a case of Armscor 36gr HP 22 with nickel plated brass and was curious how it would run. I've shot plenty of the non-nickle plated Armscor and it has a tendency to not run in fully loaded Ruger 10/22 25 round mags. This afternoon I found out that I can load 15 rounds in a mag and it will run all day. 20 rounds and up will have stoppages almost every round. I can see that the bullet is hitting the ramp on the mag and not feeding. At 15 rounds, the bullets angle up enough to feed correctly.

Incidentally, Mini-Mags run all day long with 25 rounds in the mag. Not sure if there are rim diameter differences or the Mini-Mags have enough power to run the bolt harder.

The Armscor ran in the pistols just fine. i know it's accurate enough in my Henry to still ring 10" steel at 100 yards every time with a bipod.

No red dot on the pistol today but I was able to tweak the sights to get it hitting 6" steel at 20 yards. I made sure to put a screwdriver in the bag that is actually small enough for the Ruger sights.

I got out the 7" 10/22 and tried a few mags dual wielding both pistols Gunfighter style. Got some hits on 10" steel at 20 yards but not as many as I should have. Good 22 pistols are fun no matter what you do with them.

I finished up with a mag of carry ammo from the G-19 on the 10" steel. It was great until the crappy cable clamp finally gave way and the steel fell to the ground.

In keeping with the hanging steel discussion, I have always looped cable through holes drilled in the base, then use cable clamps to hold the loops. They always got shot up. As per the pic below, I now pull the cable through the holes and loop it back and clamp it behind the steel. Now the clamps and cable loops are protected by the steel target. We will see how long this lasts. The cables can still get shot but they are a smaller target than the 2 sets of clamps that I used to have on every loop. I slathered the rusty steel, the cable clamps and the C clamps with Corrosion-X to minimize the rust they get from sitting in the truck bed all the time.

Gringop

Name:  20200202_215535A.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  68.9 KB
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

User Tag List