Page 40 of 231 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you shoot today?

I shot a Benelli MP90. Do not look for me in the Olympics anytime soon.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Shot the local bowling pin match this morning. Started with my .22 Ruger 22/45, then the Ruger SRH 7.5" shooting warm .45 Colt loads (tried and was very impressed with the Speer 300 gr JSP over Titegroup), and finished with my Glock 41. Broke no speed records but I did place 1st overall. That one surprised me!
    Practice and trying to be accurate and consistent paid off.

FWIW, there were only 10 of us shooting but the usual suspects (some very solid shooters) were there and one new guy who won at least 2 of the categories.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 10-12-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Match Elite LTT, up the road a little for an idpa match, maybe 85 rounds.

Summary:
    Thermals, NV, Laser Beams and back country roads by low light.

Way back in 2016 I ordered a cheap, on sale, Primary Arms blem upper. There was an issue with it being out of stock but the website still accepting orders. Long story short, Primary Arms made it good with a better PSA upper with a better 15" FF Rail for the same cheap sale price. What a good bunch of folks.

3 years later, my brain finally engaged on it and this Sunday I set it up to be my "night vision" upper. I added the CQBL-1 (slaved and IR laser) to the front of the top rail, added my old Surefire 6Z to a side rail (takes the TNVC Torch Pro IR head) and test fitted the Aimpoint H1 and PVS-14 behind it and also my IR Hunter 35 mm thermal scope. So, just figuring out where everything fits without causing problems.

I don't really mount the PVS-14 and H1 (not NV safe) together other than for zeroing IR lasers, I shoot in daylight to zero the red dot at 100 yards then wait till dark to zero the IR laser to the dot.

So today, Monday, since my H1 was already zeroed to another upper and I really didn't want to change it for this upper and then have to zero it back to the original, I used my new Sig Romeo5 on the "NV" upper, got it zeroed and waited till dusk to bring the visible red laser to the Romeo5 zero.

Before mounting the Romeo5, I mounted the thermal sight and although I forgot to bring cold packs to tape to the back of the 10" steel targets, there was enough contrast in the thermal to see the plates pretty well. It was hitting about 4" high at the top of the plate so after a few missteps (turn the knobs up to bring the POI down) I had it hitting the center of the plate at 100 yds. Then I did the same with the Romeo5 red dot. This is all from a bipod on the bench.

My "shoot on Mondays to miss the crowds at the range" plan is working well, only 2 other shooters on that range from 4:00 pm to 6:30 pm.

In between the thermal and Romeo5 shooting and at intervals for barrel cool down, I practiced with the Henry 22 at the 100 yd steel. I bought this bottom end Henry H001 rifle about 5 years ago and was never satisfied with the accuracy, was actually quite pissed off about it. About a year ago I attacked the problem and over a few months I researched online and talked to the rimfire silhouette guys at the club and ended up adding a Williams Target aperture rear and Lyman globe front sight.

Now, if I can concentrate on fundamentals like NPA, breathing and trigger control, I can actually hit a 10" gong 3, maybe 4 and only once 5 out of 5 shots offhand. From a bipod it's no problem to ring that steel. I guess my point is that even the bottom line rimfire Henry can be a 2-4" rifle at 100 yds with decent ammo and decent sights.

Finally it got dark enough to see the red laser and bring it into register with the red dot. Then I got out the Nightcap (mesh NV cap, lighter than a helmet) and PVS-14 and checked out the IR laser. My other IR laser is an old Crimson Trace CMR-201 IR Rail Master, no longer made. Both seemed around the same intensity in the dim dusk with a PVS-14. The rifle that has the Railmaster on it has a NF NX8 scope and i could see the IR laser dot in the scope at 1X but it looked off to the right. The rail master adjustments require a tiny Allen wrench and I did not feel up to doing that so we will try that another evening.

Finally, everything was packed up and it was time to drive around the club in the dark with only a PVS-14 on a Nightcap. The club has added cameras on the action bays and they have IR leds illuminating the bays, so no ninja shuriken practice there after dark.

After turning on the lights and badging out the electronic gate, It was time to run the little country road 2 miles up to the highway with only the PVS-14 and driving lights. Driving lights are surprisingly bright with NV and 40 mph was no problem. Before I got to the hwy, the lights came on, the NV was stowed and ninja Gringop turned into mild mannered Jack Armstrong, all American Boy.

Except that I need to get that IR Railmaster sighted in. What's this, 12 v IR lights for the truck on Amazon? Satan, get thee behind me...and push!

Gringop
    Last edited by gringop; 10-15-2019 at 12:37 AM.
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Revolver Round Up

Not today, but over the weekend at the 5th Annual Pat Rogers Revolver Roundup in Dallas.

640-1, 340 M&P, 3" Service Six. All performed well!

Name:  RR - 1.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  99.3 KB

Uzi. Always fun when my Sgt brings it to the range and asks me to remind him how it works. I love that Israeli SMG.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

What did you shoot today?

15-3 & 686-1 at a USPA match.

The grips on the 15 were a problem. Dry-fire testing was OK, but in the match, there was’t enough clearance. I had followed @03RN’s good advice and brought two guns. (And last month, a guy would have had to drop out if he hadn’t brought a second gun.)

This was my third run at a USPSA. I need to be more aware of the boundaries, as I had the ball of my foot over the line at one point in a stage that I nearly shot clean.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 10-20-2019 at 12:47 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Yesterday I shot my 2” 64 at Greg Ellifritz’s inaugural snub revolver class. Then I stopped at the sportsman’s club and put a few rounds through my new Ruger Backpacker, my new 9mm Shield, and my old 22/45 with TacSol upper and the Sparrow suppressor

I finally found a place to safely shoot on some public land within 20 minutes from my house. I was able to shoot without having to deal with the safety rules of a public cold range. It’s been a while since I could do some live fire from a holster on my own. Today I shot my G19 and G26.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quick trip to zero a few new options for the Dot Life.

Picked up an ACRO from Sport Optics.

Moved the SRO From the G 45 to the G 17.5. SRO is mounted on a C&H plate and the ACRO is mounted on the B&T made plate sold by aimpoint. Both have better fit in the MOS cut then the Glock factory plates.

Name:  EDB8BD6F-EA1C-464C-8981-D4C6E229F43B.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  52.9 KB

So far I am really digging the ACRO. A monthly battery change is doable in exchange for the balance of durability and improved window. We’ll see how it shakes out.

Name:  209394BC-1959-42BF-8C38-89E6066E6602.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  73.6 KB

I also mounted one of the recent Brownell’s close out Holosun 407C’s on the carry handle of my Colt 9 mm AR Using a Trijicon RMR carry handle Mount. The 407C Is that only and does not have the circle dot option.

Unlike my recent attempt with the Sig Romeo and the Botach “battlesteel” Carry handle Mount, this one had no problems holding zero.

The colt did not like the flat point of the purple Winchester training ammo. Had a very nasty feeding issue but it was accurate. I also shot a little bit of the new Browning 124 Green FM J that the Academy has been selling in 150 round packs. The Winchester shot a little tighter but for 16 cents a round the Browning ammo seems to be a great value.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-20-2019 at 08:03 PM.

User Tag List